Mosin Nagant Sniper Rebuilt or Fake

Thread: Mosin Nagant Sniper Rebuilt or Fake

Default Mosin Nagant Sniper Rebuilt or Fake

I got this several years ago and am interested if this is a russian rebuilt or just a complete put together fake. Here are some pictures. The scope has only one number on it and it is blurred out in the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0633-Mod.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	1996449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	1996457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638-Mod.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	1996465

Need to see some more pictures of the rifle. But it looks like a fake sniper. The scope, mount and base are all fake. Can't see much else.

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Put together fake/clone. Mount and scope are the same as my clone I got from Cole's many years ago.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JAYFMT View Post
    Put together fake/clone. Mount and scope are the same as my clone I got from Cole's many years ago.

Yep, that is a Cole's.

I felt it was maybe a fake, but I didn't pay more than the sum of the parts and it is a good shooter so I'm still happy with it. Thanks for the responses.

Many replicas from Ukraine were sold by Big Five and others for $499 about 5-10 years back. Most shot very nicely and were quality builds, sold correctly as replicas by the more knowledgeble staff at the Big Five's I visited.

The flat head turret screws on your scope give it away at once, as no real PUs had flat head turret screws and the brand new mount that doesn't match rifle wear is next in line. Tula rifles had the sniper marks of Cn on early ones and CH on later, while Izhevsk snipers have scope numbers on the left and no CH.

Also, of course, any rifle before 1942 with a PU scope is not real as PUs were not issued until late in that year.

(As in art, a replica is a replica if honestly sold as a copy, while it becomes a fake if somebody tries to sell it as real.
    Want to buy my genuine, original signed Mona Lisa?)
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; 02-27-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Not all the PUs sold by Coles were repros. He sold quite a few nice ones with very nice import marks.

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    Not all the PUs sold by Coles were repros. He sold quite a few nice ones with very nice import marks.
    Yes he did. My 1st original PU came from him which ended up have a bad scope. He allowed me to exchange the rifle for a replacement well after his standard return time. So when I was I the market for a clone I went straight to him. Great vendor that is missed.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by JAYFMT View Post
    Yes he did. My 1st original PU came from him which ended up have a bad scope. He allowed me to exchange the rifle for a replacement well after his standard return time. So when I was I the market for a clone I went straight to him. Great vendor that is missed.
    I agree. A fine man who is missed. I got my first 2 PUs from him, first a Tula and later an Izhevsk. Still have them.