Finnish M39 Sniper?

Thread: Finnish M39 Sniper?

Default Finnish M39 Sniper?

Hello,
    Recently acquired a Finnish M39 rifle. It is in the 200K serial number range, dated 1941, with Sako marked barrel and receiver and stock. It also has a Russian PU style scope mounted on it. The serial numbers on barrel, receiver, bolt, and scope mount are all matching and appear factory stamped (no etching type numbers). It has about 95% bluing and near perfect bore. From what I have been able to glean from various websites, they seen to say that there are no known PU type Finnish snipers. Your thoughts are welcome. BTW it has SA markings on the barrel left side a well. Also, no import markings either.

Next, I also have what i am sure is a reproduction M39 bayonet. Does anyone have the final word on identifying the repro's, who made them, how to spot repro's being faked as real?

Lastly, does anyone have a copy of "Rifles of the white death" Would love to get a copy of one.

Thanks for looking and any help you can provide.

Anybody got any input on the possibility of this being a real Finnish sniper?

It's a Century put together, unfortunately. Real M39 snipers (which are very rare) had the PE or Ajack scope, plus a very VERY few that had another weird scope whose name escapes me at the moment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

No import markings whatsoever. Did century match all numbers including scope mounts?

In that case, my guess is that a previous owner mounted the scope. Pictures would be useful, post some if possible.

When I.O. had the M-39 snipers for sale I bought some of the plates they had made to be attached to the side of the M-39 for a POSP type scope. There are from what I gathered several hundred of them made and sold off one year..

I also have one of these . Bought it some 20 years ago from Century. A real good shooter. What are they worth now? It is still in excellent condition.

If you decide to sell let me know..Always wanted one..

+1.

Many years back, CAI had lots of Russian scopes and mounts (some real, some replica) and was making fake (replica) Russian sniper rifles. They ran out of Russian 91/30s and used what they had, a bunch of generally well-used Finns. You will run into all sorts of them over the years - mostly somewhat ragged m27s, m28s and M39s scoped with real Russian scopes.

Some I have seen shot very well, some were stove-pipe bores.

CAI put tiny little import stamps on the front of the barrel on most of these, so it could be hiding or even removed by a past owner. Does it have a new US serial number stamped on it?

As said, real M39 Finn snipers are extremely, extremely rare and had a topmount PE scope or Ajack in the topmount. I built a replica of one as there is zero chance I can ever get a real one, using a "sneak" in a new postwar stock so I didn't damage a historic Finn rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    It's a Century put together, unfortunately. Real M39 snipers (which are very rare) had the PE or Ajack scope, plus a very VERY few that had another weird scope whose name escapes me at the moment.

A friend has one on a Finnish m91. Would love to have any of these! Prices seem to be fairly low, given these are fantasy guns... about the price of the cumulative parts.
    Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it...

"The politics of failure have failed!" -Kang