Gunboards Forums banner

Help, old flintlock

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  UNPROFOR1994 
#1 ·
Look like French made but I don't know .Any info you can give me will be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks for looking. Shotgun Wood
Gun Rifle Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Antique tool Metal
Shotgun Wood
Shotgun Gun barrel
Gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver Metal
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Rifle
Shotgun Wood

See less See more
#3 ·
TP will have an excellent idea of this piece's identification, so perhaps he will jump in.

My first thought was that its a New England Fowler adapted to take a bayonet, and I base this on the stock profile and nose piece which appears to have been altered. But the stock appears to be Walnut and not Cherry which was most commonly used in NE Fowlers. My second thought was that it was made as a military musket, possibly French, and I lean in this direction. Metal ramrod. French trigger guard (I think!). TP will know....hope he jumps in!

#10 ·
Early locks merely had a screw from the outside of the lock threaded into the lockplate.
Most later locks have a boss of metal extending from the front of the pan and the screw threads into this boss from the back of the lockplate. Just less prone to wear. Hope I made this clear. Google Frizzen Bridle and view images for a better look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.