Finnish M27 with Mauser Style Safety

Thread: Finnish M27 with Mauser Style Safety

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to ask any members on here who are knowledgeable with the experimental LS-35 safeties on M27's, if they have seen these pieces serialised. Mine has a '1' near the bolt handle. Thanks. Also, I have checked the serial data base for these rifles, and mine appears to be lower than the minimum serial number recorded for 1940. Ole Fred, feel free to add the serial to your data base (86482). The rifle is in unissued condition and the barrel is 10/10, you can still see the lead from the rifling tool. It is also double 'AZF' stamped by the Austro-Hungarian Army

Louis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170227_101305682_1488332694890.jpg   IMG_20170227_101524317_1488332749038.jpg   IMG_20170227_101405673_1488332798710.jpg   IMG_20170227_101324532_1488332827447.jpg  

There is a number 08x on one of these and two more with unidentified characters on at the same location as your "1". Only one of my cocking pieces has a number stamp. I have no knowledge what the numbers represent. Most of these are long gone so they are a hard study. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eightwings1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	2004641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eightwings3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	2004649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eightwings6.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	2004657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eightwings7.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	2004665
    Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

Wow! How intriguing. You guys have all the cool stuff. Thanks for sharing those pics. Regards, John.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

neither of mine are serialed.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Thats neat are they all just loose bolts you have laying around or do they have a rifle they fit in? How did you come across them? Seems like it would be a good story.
    Its not about how many you have its about how many you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by MosinLvR View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to ask any members on here who are knowledgeable with the experimental LS-35 safeties on M27's, if they have seen these pieces serialised. Mine has a '1' near the bolt handle. Thanks. Also, I have checked the serial data base for these rifles, and mine appears to be lower than the minimum serial number recorded for 1940. Ole Fred, feel free to add the serial to your data base (86482). The rifle is in unissued condition and the barrel is 10/10, you can still see the lead from the rifling tool. It is also double 'AZF' stamped by the Austro-Hungarian Army

Louis
    Neat gun. Neat bolt. My guess is that this is a later edition to the bolt - obviously the trials were done in 1935 and this was made in 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by BoreGrv View Post
    Thats neat are they all just loose bolts you have laying around or do they have a rifle they fit in? How did you come across them? Seems like it would be a good story.
    I got the 1st group ( 3 and 1/2 bolts) back in 2004 from a local importer that frequented the gunshows in Sweden. The second group of 3-1/2 bolts came to me 2 years ago. I found them when I was shopping for some other items with a seller in Finland. I spotted these bolts in a large box of parts that he had sent pictures of. The seller bought the box of parts from a gunsmiths estate and had told me that they had come from the Army when they had been "scrapped". BTW the seller did know the value of these.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    Neat gun. Neat bolt. My guess is that this is a later edition to the bolt - obviously the trials were done in 1935 and this was made in 1940.
    Other than the red paint the original posters bolt looks to be of the same verity as most of mine. They are of the type on the far right of the picture that M Palokangas shows on page 165 of his book #2. The 5th safety from the left in my picture above is like the 2 safeties in the center of the picture on page 165.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsky View Post
    Other than the red paint the original posters bolt looks to be of the same verity as most of mine. They are of the type on the far right of the picture that M Palokangas shows on page 165 of his book #2. The 5th safety from the left in my picture above is like the 2 safeties in the center of the picture on page 165.
    Interesting that some of your examples have the winged bolt connecters.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alsky View Post
    I got the 1st group ( 3 and 1/2 bolts) back in 2004 from a local importer that frequented the gunshows in Sweden. The second group of 3-1/2 bolts came to me 2 years ago. I found them when I was shopping for some other items with a seller in Finland. I spotted these bolts in a large box of parts that he had sent pictures of. The seller bought the box of parts from a gunsmiths estate and had told me that they had come from the Army when they had been "scrapped". BTW the seller did know the value of these.
    What kind of value would you put on a bolt like these?
    Its not about how many you have its about how many you dont.

Hi Everyone,

Louis
    Louis was your rifle fitted with this bolt when it was imported into the US? Was it the import mark on your rifle?

I purchased the gun with the bolt in the gun, Alsky, so that leads me to believe it was most likely with the gun from Finland, as the chance of it randomly being paired with an M27 would be somewhat low. I live in Australia, so there are no import marks anywhere on the gun I bought it from a place here in Queensland, saw pictures before but I didn't notice the safety on the bolt until it arrived.

You have an awesome collection of them there, very lucky!

You have an awesome collection of them there, very lucky!
    You got very lucky on your purchase also. Thanks for sharing the pictures & for posting about it here. Looks like you have a nice rifle too. Congrats

I got one in a U fix lot in the early 90's.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Those are very interesting pieces. Just when you think you know something about Mosin's something like this pops up! Very nice collection pieces guys. Congrats.