M48 unissued?

Thread: M48 unissued?

Default M48 unissued?

There is one on GB and it sure looks legit.....Any guesses on what it might bring? Current bit is $470. Did someone find a cache of these?

IIRC, a large number of these were in excellent condition. Don't know own about unissued, but a lot came in with those honey oak looking stocks with near 100% Blue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    befus

Quote Originally Posted by befus View Post
    IIRC, a large number of these were in excellent condition. Don't know own about unissued, but a lot came in with those honey oak looking stocks with near 100% Blue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    When did these show up and what were they selling them for? I don't remember those.????

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
    When did these show up and what were they selling them for? I don't remember those.????
    I don't remember, maybe in the early part of the century? There were so many nice ones that the speculation was that they were over there using the old machine tools and turning them out new...
    Branko's book came out in 2005. Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles Paperback June 1, 2005 by Branko Bogdanovic, IDK what they went for at the beginning, but you could get a near new one with sling, pouches, cleaning kit, and bayonet for around $150. Kinda like the 91/30's of the recent flood.
    Last edited by befus; 03-03-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    befus

Quote Originally Posted by befus View Post
    I don't remember, maybe in the early part of the century? There were so many nice ones that the speculation was that they were over there using the old machine tools and turning them out new...
    Branko's book came out in 2005. Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles Paperback June 1, 2005 by Branko Bogdanovic
    I'll look it up, thanks.

There were a lot of minty ones sold back when. There was speculation that they were assembled from spare parts for export. I think the unissued ones sold for $279, IIRC, including bayo, sling, ammo pouch, cleaning kit, etc. A well-used one went for $79. Maybe 20 years ago, maybe even more.

The word I heard was Mitchells was importing these and having them made by the Yugo's long after they quite using them, more likely they were just new old stock, imported. Mitchell did import most all of the 'as new' ones altho others sold some of them also. I have seen many 48A's with walnut stocks lately, also 'as new'.

OK. I think I have it figured out......they are nice rifles but not if they have been made by Mitchell!
    Last edited by sakorick; 03-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

I paid $133 for one (tax included) from a dealer who had a tableful if them at a local gun show in April of 2002. They probably came in around 2000 or 2001.

$470 is already way too much.
    Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it...

"The politics of failure have failed!" -Kang

Cherry's had some of the very nicest ones...Lots of minty cozmoline filled rifles at one time

Mitchelles sold many that they did not molest as they were already NIB condition..they simply took them Cozmo and all and re-boxed them

Soon tho they went to refinishing and restamping..poorly I'll add..the stocks became ugly patchy things with dark cozmo stains bleeding into the craptastic finish used by MM

I named it Mitchell's Seep...gross looking
    "There is no safety for honest men, but by believing all possible evil of evil men, and by acting with promptitude, decision, and steadiness on that belief." (Edmund Burke)

Ayuh, Cherry's, and I have one with Numrichs import stamp. That one is pretty nice too.
    I am the grass. Let me work.

The M48 in its numerous variations is one of my favorite rifles. I started collecting them in about 2004. I paid $102.34 for my first one (almost new condition, price included shipping!). I currently have seven, as well as a Serbian Model 24, a 24/47, a 24/52C, and a Yugo K98. Although prices have gone up, they are still among the most affordable 8MM Mausers around. For a long time it was relatively easy to get most of the variations at reasonable prices. Not so much anymore.

The history of the Yugo small arms industry is fascinating. In addition to the Mausers, I have several Yugo SKS rifles, an RPK, an M53 SARAC, and an M57 pistol.

M48 BO Mauser Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)
    M48 BO Mauser - Iraqi Marked Zastava
    M48 BO Mauser - Syrian Marked Zastava
    M48 Mauser Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)
    M48 Mauser - Sniper Zastava
    M48A Mauser Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)
    M48B Mauser (marked M48A) Preduzece 44 (Kragujevac)

OK. I think I have it figured out......they are nice rifles but not if they have been made by Mitchell!
    I did not say "made by Mitchell", I said "made for Mitchell". And I did not say it was 'fact' only said it was the 'word I heard'. Please read correctly and do not misquote me!

I purchased one of the BO series back in the 60's at a hardware store. No one seemed to know who made them at the time, sales man told me the they were captured by Israel in one of their wars (67 war? not up on that history). I ID'ed it as Czech, but found out much later that was incorrect. Again, that was what I was told, back in the day when little was known about mil-surp Mausers. It was in good condition but certainly not 'as new'. I never saw a lot of them for sale at that time.
    Last edited by lornedavis; 03-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.

I managed to snag a Cherry's import about 10 yrs. ago, sweet one. In fact it has been a safe queen ever since, never put a round through it. Also got a real nice 24/47 around the same time, same fate for that one too ... lol.
    " The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous."
    Frederick Douglass, American Abolitionist

I picked up my M48BO at a local gun show about 8 or so years ago and was one of Cherry's imports.Loaded with cosmoline and beautiful bore. Also came with the bayonet, sling, oiler and ammo pouch. Paid $265 at the time which may or may not had been a good deal at the time. Still have it and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Has the hairy stock which to me looks like it was never finish sanded or finished. Frank

I bought one from Aim Surplus in the early 2000s. It was not a Mitchells (wood was cosmoline soaked) but it did appear to be unissued. Bore and bolt face were mint.
    There's nothing more dangerous than a colossal, bankrupt, and well-armed government--- Porter Stansberry

Just sold one yesterday (M48A), unissued, better than excellent for $540 CAD, that's about $ 100 USD at the current exchange rate

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    Just sold one yesterday (M48A), unissued, better than excellent for $540 CAD, that's about $ 100 USD at the current exchange rate
    Is the $100 US a typo? Surely the CAD is worth more than that. I thought it was about 75 cents on the USD.

Quote Originally Posted by samnev2 View Post
    Is the $100 US a typo? Surely the CAD is worth more than that. I thought it was about 75 cents on the USD.
    No it's not a typo, just making fun of our weak currency.

Your exchange rate is right on.

My very first C&R purchase fresh out of high school back in about 1994. Paid $299 IIRC

It was from Mitchell's but was actually a Cherry's import. It was advertised as "unissued" back then and that was way before I knew anything better about Mitchell's but the thing is very clean and doesn't look like it was fired much.

Came with all the bells and whistles, bayonet, cleaning kit, etc.

I sold it a few years back and regretted it but luckily kept in touch with the buyer and ended up buying it back last year.

The condition of Mitchell's Mausers was inconsistent. My first Military Mauser was a Mitchell's. I learned after the fact that the rifle I paid $300 for was selling all over the web for $79. Caveat emptor. So I paid for an education. Enough Mitchell bashing.

But, mine was a true unissued. A V serial prefix M48bo in first model configuration. It was matching and had the correct "(BK)" stamps were they belonged.
    But I have seen them pressure washed and even heavily belt sanded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yugoslav Mauser M48.bo- w-out markings.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	2042426
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore; When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted." Ye Olde English proverb; origin unknown
    I make reproduction Yugoslav pre-WWII rifle slings and bayonet frogs.

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Nug, my M48BO is a twin to yours, V29734.

My matching, apparently unissued B48BO (M48 configuration) cost $119 at a gun show in October 2001.

My matching, gently used M48 (with stamped trigger guard) cost $120 with bayonet & scabbard from a gun show in July 2004.

My bolt mismatch, gently used Syrian M48BO (M48B configuration) cost $275 + $20 shipping from RC Arms in September 2009.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

wink2

Quote Originally Posted by nothernug View Post
    The condition of Mitchell's Mausers was inconsistent. My first Military Mauser was a Mitchell's. I learned after the fact that the rifle I paid $300 for was selling all over the web for $79. Caveat emptor. So I paid for an education. Enough Mitchell bashing.

But, mine was a true unissued. A V serial prefix M48bo in first model configuration. It was matching and had the correct "(BK)" stamps were they belonged.
    But I have seen them pressure washed and even heavily belt sanded.

Name:	Yugoslav Mauser M48.bo- w-out markings.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	2042426
    No need to bash Mitchell. You may have paid more but you received an authentic piece of history. You might have received a certificate of authentication with your rile. If so, keep it with the rifle. It is provenance.

We haven't seen a Mitchell's defender around here for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    No need to bash Mitchell. You may have paid more but you received an authentic piece of history. You might have received a certificate of authentication with your rile. If so, keep it with the rifle. It is provenance.
    Provenance? I don't need a certificate from anyone telling me a rifle was made in Yugoslavia. Neither does anyone else.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

He was joking...the smiley winking happy face is the clue

Name:	Mitchell.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	2044658
    "There is no safety for honest men, but by believing all possible evil of evil men, and by acting with promptitude, decision, and steadiness on that belief." (Edmund Burke)

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterDog View Post
    $470 is already way too much.
    Agreed. I paid $268 for mine two years ago, and it's pretty minty.

I can't tell whether you're being funny or not.

I picked up a minty M48 From Kentucky Imports with all the accessories back around 2000 for around $220. Actually , now that I think about it more like $140.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2797.JPG  
    Last edited by jwrauch; 03-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Ten years ago they were $89 wholesale.

I bought a couple 24/47s for $80 each but they weren't in great condition. Turned them into hunting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    Nug, my M48BO is a twin to yours, V29734.

My matching, apparently unissued B48BO (M48 configuration) cost $119 at a gun show in October 2001.

My matching, gently used M48 (with stamped trigger guard) cost $120 with bayonet & scabbard from a gun show in July 2004.

My bolt mismatch, gently used Syrian M48BO (M48B configuration) cost $275 + $20 shipping from RC Arms in September 2009.

I got mine in 2005. The ser.# is V54278.
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore; When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted." Ye Olde English proverb; origin unknown
    I make reproduction Yugoslav pre-WWII rifle slings and bayonet frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by nothernug View Post
    I got mine in 2005. The ser.# is V54278.
    The Syrians have S and V prefix s/n. The V prefix reported run from a low of V7874 to a high of V49874. Those I have seen (and the Syrian I own) have stamped trigger guards. I guess you and I just happened to find rifles that had some old milled parts. They do look nicer than the M48A&B.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

As I was flipping through this thread, it occurred to me that maybe a hundred years from now, mitchell mausers might be considered a legitimate variation, sort of like arsenal rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeACTM View Post
    As I was flipping through this thread, it occurred to me that maybe a hundred years from now, mitchell mausers might be considered a legitimate variation, sort of like arsenal rebuilding.

Not defending mitchels, but I did come by one by way of a guy needing money, thus I bought it for less than a going m48 at the time.

Aside from the spit shine and what may or may not be legit markings, it shoots just fine, and that's all I cared about.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone

Quote Originally Posted by JoeACTM View Post
    No.

Never "legitimate".

Bannerman put together some rifles from parts of different models (M1903, M1917) in the 1920s and they are still not "legitimate".

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

I think many would rather have a Bannerman, than MM.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone