Gunboards Forums banner

Uberti 36 cal cylinder

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AZshooter 
#1 ·
Well this is a case of not reading the fine print. Purchased a Uberti 1858 Remington Navy - 36cal. Slugged the bore which came out at o.379 to 0.3795. Then I slugged the cylinder which came out at 0.374. When a 0.374 or 0.375 ball is pushed into the bore, you can see lots of daylight around it. Not a good situation. Looked the revolver up in Dixie and sure enough, they listed the bore at 0.380 and the cylinder at 0.374. The 44s all have a cylinder at or larger that the bore. Does anyone have a clue as to why they would make a cylinder smaller than the bore? Next question - Does anyone know a gunsmith that could ream the cylinder chambers out to a more appropriate size?
Any input will be much appreciated - Cove

#2 ·
I think they did it that way in the old days, so would need to ask Sam Colt and his competitors. However - if you use a pure lead ball (IMO the only way to go with c&b revolvers), it will slug up and take the rifling. Or at least mine always have.

#3 ·
Over the years, there have been a passel of folks wailing, wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth over the real or imagined problem created by oversized bore over cylinder measurements. Legion are those who feel they know more about Colt's design and manufacturing than do either Sam himself, or Uberti, so they measure, complain and knowingly ream. Save your time, energy and dollars for more worry-worthy endeavors.

For almost 50 years I've fired .36 and .44 cap & ball revolvers in both Colt and Remington configurations & made by both Uberti and Pietta. Some were built pre CNC machining and all were exceptionally accurate despite that pesky disparity of cylinder/bore measurements.

Better to obsess about fabric thread count in your clothes, insoluble fiber content in your breakfast cereal or the percentage of oxygen in the air downtown vs at home, but as long as your revolver shoots as accurately as mine do, there's no need to worry.

Clyde gives good advice ... after all, he's closer to the actual age of Samuel Colt than any other living person that I know. And that should count for something;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.