Alkadesiah Iraqi sniper rifle?

Thread: Alkadesiah Iraqi sniper rifle?

Question Alkadesiah Iraqi sniper rifle?

Has anyone seen or heard of this rifle? A friend that was in Iraq said he saw these over there and many were gold plated.
    Apparently copied from a Russian SVD. He doesn't remember what they used for scopes....

Anyone familiar with these?
    "I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader!" Ghandi

There are tons of Iraqi SVDs that were gold plated and pictures of them abound. They were crushed and burned. They made us safe and are not on our street like all those assault weapons and heaven forbid a GI from having a bring back weapon. We have never had bring backs, right?

A quick google search of the key words "iraqi gold plated al kadesiah" tuns up a bunch of links.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I'm very familiar with this rifle. It is conceptually identical to the Russian SVD although almost no parts will interchange and every part of the gun was reengineered compared to the SVD. It has a stamped receiver, and the bolt rotates in the opposite direction from the SVD. Uses a scope intentical to the Yugoslav M-76 but with an SVD type mount. The scope says "made in Iraq" in Arabic on it but so far as I am aware they were actually made in Yugoslavia. Similar front sight base and flash suppressor to the M-76.

The Ft Carson museum has one of the nickle plated ones on display. The rifle mags have a stylized palm tree design as part of the stamping and I don't think they are interchangeable either.

I have never seen one for sale in the US. If a few made their way here as bring-backs, the original sellers are still laying low.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post
    I have never seen one for sale in the US. If a few made their way here as bring-backs, the original sellers are still laying low.
    Like the original PSL, M76 etc., they are three axis pin firearms and are not legal too import to the USA. Despite the fact they are semi-auto firearms But they have the safety sear axis pin and are not legal.

A cut up kit could be imported., though Iraq is an ATF proscribed country., and firearms or parts from that country are prohibited.

I also suspect they were never common in Iraq and any specimens that came to the USA are in military or other museums or in the hands of staff officers etc.

Their fire control group is actually functionally identical to an SVDs. No third pin axis hole you are probably thinking of the Tabuk DMR. ATF approved importation of KBI SVD rifles which have the "self timer" secondary sear so there is no reason the mechanics would be an issue.

sick Al kadish

Thanks guys...Having never actually seen one; I would think the gold plating would be a mite gaudy!
    "I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader!" Ghandi

Saddam was all about gaudy. The Tabuk's and others were often gold plated as well.

It may be gaudy, but I would want one if legal and at a reasonable price.

I'd go for a semi-auto receiver type Al Kadesiah in blued finish., which was the most common.

I built Several Iraqi clones.., a Tabuk DMR long rifle, Tabuk infantry underfolder and a Tabuk Shorty.
    But no way to clone an Al Kadesiah.

If I remember correctly, Dave Fortier did an article on these in the Shotgun/Firearms News a while back. They are very similar to the SVD. Some of the parts aren't interchangeable. From what I have seen, they are pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    If I remember correctly, Dave Fortier did an article on these in the Shotgun/Firearms News a while back. They are very similar to the SVD. Some of the parts aren't interchangeable. From what I have seen, they are pretty close.
    The Al Kadesiah is not really very close to the SVD rifle other than being a sniper/DMR

http://www.designatedmarksman.net/iraq_alkadesiah.html

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    I read the text on that link and it says the Al Kadesiah is essentially an SVD with a stamped reciever, the action is identical (though no parts interchange). In my book, that's pretty close. Maybe not as close as a Tiger where parts do interchange, but not foreign like a PSL. The PSL is definitely "not really very close to the SVD rifle other than being a sniper/DMR"

I suppose it depends on what one perceives as "essentially the same".
    As example., a Polish AKM is essentially the same a Zastava Model M70B1. The parts generally interchange even though the receivers differ somewhat as do he socks., but they share many of the same features and operating parts etc.

But no big deal. Both the SVD and Al Kadesiah are interesting and sought after firearms.

Thanks. I know about the Tabuk. I got to hold one in Iraq and would have LOVED to bring it home! I couldn't remember the name for the Iraqi SVD. Another weapon we found over there that I seriously wanted! Can't remember everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I read the text on that link and it says the Al Kadesiah is essentially an SVD with a stamped reciever, the action is identical (though no parts interchange). In my book, that's pretty close. Maybe not as close as a Tiger where parts do interchange, but not foreign like a PSL. The PSL is definitely "not really very close to the SVD rifle other than being a sniper/DMR"