Gunboards Forums banner

Alkadesiah Iraqi sniper rifle?

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Snowman 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen or heard of this rifle? A friend that was in Iraq said he saw these over there and many were gold plated.
Apparently copied from a Russian SVD. He doesn't remember what they used for scopes....

Anyone familiar with these?

#2 ·
There are tons of Iraqi SVDs that were gold plated and pictures of them abound. They were crushed and burned. They made us safe and are not on our street like all those assault weapons and heaven forbid a GI from having a bring back weapon. We have never had bring backs, right?

#4 ·
I'm very familiar with this rifle. It is conceptually identical to the Russian SVD although almost no parts will interchange and every part of the gun was reengineered compared to the SVD. It has a stamped receiver, and the bolt rotates in the opposite direction from the SVD. Uses a scope intentical to the Yugoslav M-76 but with an SVD type mount. The scope says "made in Iraq" in Arabic on it but so far as I am aware they were actually made in Yugoslavia. Similar front sight base and flash suppressor to the M-76.

#7 ·
Like the original PSL, M76 etc., they are three axis pin firearms and are not legal too import to the USA. Despite the fact they are semi-auto firearms But they have the safety sear axis pin and are not legal.

A cut up kit could be imported., though Iraq is an ATF proscribed country., and firearms or parts from that country are prohibited.

I also suspect they were never common in Iraq and any specimens that came to the USA are in military or other museums or in the hands of staff officers etc.

#8 ·
Their fire control group is actually functionally identical to an SVDs. No third pin axis hole you are probably thinking of the Tabuk DMR. ATF approved importation of KBI SVD rifles which have the "self timer" secondary sear so there is no reason the mechanics would be an issue.

#15 ·
I read the text on that link and it says the Al Kadesiah is essentially an SVD with a stamped reciever, the action is identical (though no parts interchange). In my book, that's pretty close. Maybe not as close as a Tiger where parts do interchange, but not foreign like a PSL. The PSL is definitely "not really very close to the SVD rifle other than being a sniper/DMR"

#16 ·
I suppose it depends on what one perceives as "essentially the same".
As example., a Polish AKM is essentially the same a Zastava Model M70B1. The parts generally interchange even though the receivers differ somewhat as do he socks., but they share many of the same features and operating parts etc.

But no big deal. Both the SVD and Al Kadesiah are interesting and sought after firearms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.