Re-installing the trigger guard

Thread: Re-installing the trigger guard

mad Re-installing the trigger guard

I removed the trigger guard from the IJ-70 thinking I would remove the barrel (I have the kit and another barrel for it, but decided not to install it.) So, now I want to put the trigger guard back in place. Having a hell of a time trying to push the spring back in and getting the guard retainer pin back in. I followed the instructions by pushing the spring in and getting it to latch onto the small ledge then pushing the guard in, not as easy as it sounds. Any hints out there about aligning the pin while pushing the the guard in? I start the pin before pushing down but damned if I can get it to match up.

I'm no gunsmith, but I've had luck just using my bench vise (with non-marring liner) to hold the frame. Then I'll just hold the trigger guard in place with a slave pin. Once that's in place I'll LIGHTLY tap the trigger guard pin in place from the other side with a non marring hammer.

Without a vise, I have no idea how I'd get that thing back together.

At one time I could squeeze them together by hand ,now with RA those days are over.

A device that I was told the DDR armorers used:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guard-1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	2017233

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I've used a spring clamp with vinyl covered jaws to hold the trigger guard in place. It made the task quite simple.

I'd go with RJflyer. A slave pin eases the task a lot. Make one end pointy to make it go in easily and the last bit full diameter to align the holes. Good luck, ABTOMAT

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    I'd go with RJflyer. A slave pin eases the task a lot. Make one end pointy to make it go in easily and the last bit full diameter to align the holes. Good luck, ABTOMAT
    SUCCESS

I had to go down to Home Depot and purchase a small table vice that clamps to the table. Got a couple of slats of wood to put on the sides. Still couldn't get the pin in even using a slave pin. Just needed a third hand so I asked my neighbor friend to give me a hand. He pushed down on it and I put the pin in. I don't think I will be removing the trigger guard any more. I did notice one thing the Mak. didn't seem to understand American cuss words and I don't know any Russian ones so that might of made a difference. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.....

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdon View Post
    SUCCESS
    I did notice one thing the Mak. didn't seem to understand American cuss words and I don't know any Russian ones so that might of made a difference.
    Not sure about the rules on foreign cursing in the forums... but you could always use the nickname that the Spetznaz gave to the AKS-74U...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    At one time I could squeeze them together by hand ,now with RA those days are over.

A device that I was told the DDR armorers used:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guard-1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	2017233
    Man that's one heck of a gizmo used to put a pin in!!

There is a short video on YouTube.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stjoan1 View Post
    There is a short video on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/r8A3kHfvVRI

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post

I used this method to replace a thumb safety on a Colt1903 w/o disassembling the grip safety and hammer. Took me about 35 minutes to get it right
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by stjoan1 View Post
    https://youtu.be/r8A3kHfvVRI

No way could I ever do it that way, you would have to have one heck of a grip which I just don't have anymore.

I would use an adjustable bar vice also. I've used one several times while aligning pins while under spring pressure. My question is; why take it off in the first place. Does it have anything to do with the barrel removal?

It is not that hard of a grip. It is the timing of alignment for the pin that is difficult.

One-Two One-Two Boogie Woogie Avenue, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
    I would use an adjustable bar vice also. I've used one several times while aligning pins while under spring pressure. My question is; why take it off in the first place. Does it have anything to do with the barrel removal?
    If you haven't removed the trigger guard when you pull the barrel, the trigger guard spring will remove itself, as it rests up against the bottom of the barrel. You might not find it again when it launches into the stratosphere. The only way to get that spring back in there is to remove the trigger guard and put the spring in after the barrel is installed.

I think Chinese curse word work best...
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
    Edmund Burke - 1770

Quote Originally Posted by Chukmak View Post
    If you haven't removed the trigger guard when you pull the barrel, the trigger guard spring will remove itself, as it rests up against the bottom of the barrel.
    Thank you Chukmak. I learn something everyday.

As noted in an earlier posting, I replaced my trigger guard with the help of a pipe vice, two blocks of wood, a slave pin and the extra hand of my wife. Another member stated he could do so with just his hands, yea right! Nevertheless, he posted a video of his doing so on the forum. I cannot remember who the person was, or how long ago, still he did it which should always remind us to "Never say Never!"

Quote Originally Posted by Simson-Suhl View Post
    As noted in an earlier posting, I replaced my trigger guard with the help of a pipe vice, two blocks of wood, a slave pin and the extra hand of my wife. Another member stated he could do so with just his hands, yea right! Nevertheless, he posted a video of his doing so on the forum. I cannot remember who the person was, or how long ago, still he did it which should always remind us to "Never say Never!"
    Hah!
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdon View Post

I did notice one thing the Mak. didn't seem to understand American cuss words and I don't know any Russian ones so that might of made a difference. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.....
    I am no expert with Russian cuss words, but this MIGHT help.

The only one I know offhand was the one used near the end of the movie "Patton", when Patton and (I think it was) Zhukov got into an exchange of insults at a victory party. Patton started it by calling the Russian a S.O.B. (I KNOW you know this one) and the Russian general replied saying Patton was ALSO a "Сукин сын" (Pronounced Sukin Syn).

It is a pretty mild expletive by today's standards, but it is also pretty all-purpose, and might suffice for your future issues with assembling Russian guns.