International Harvester M1D

Thread: International Harvester M1D

Default International Harvester M1D

Picked this up recently.

All matching IHC M1 Garand that got an M1D conversion 1953 barrel.
    If anyone wants to chime in on where, when or for whom it was built feel free!

Jon

No rebuild date ep'd on the side of the receiver?

T37 flash hider and sling are reproductions. Probably a put together rifle, rather than a factory built sniper but it looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    No rebuild date ep'd on the side of the receiver?

T37 flash hider and sling are reproductions. Probably a put together rifle, rather than a factory built sniper but it looks nice!
    What gives it away that it's a repro? The paint?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

It's cast. The reproductions are cast. There's a tell tale raised ridge where there shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5Harasser View Post
    Are you referring to the sling??

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    No, the t37.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5Harasser View Post

Don't believe IHC ever made M1D's so none would be "factory" (IHC). Most / Many were put together by 2nd level armorers using what ever was handy. I have seen many Winchesters and IHC's (No HRA's I can remember) and of course most were Springfields. I agree with the T37 & Sling as repros, but that wouldn't cast a shadow on the basic rifle. I would have to check the part number on the barrel, but the dating would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sssniper View Post
    Don't believe IHC ever made M1D's so none would be "factory" (IHC). Most / Many were put together by 2nd level armorers using what ever was handy. I have seen many Winchesters and IHC's (No HRA's I can remember) and of course most were Springfields. I agree with the T37 & Sling as repros, but that wouldn't cast a shadow on the basic rifle. I would have to check the part number on the barrel, but the dating would be correct.
    Thanks SS, do you need any additional pictures?

I pretty sure the barrel drawing number 7312255 on the barrel is correct for the M1D. Date range also seems correct. As noted above many M1's were converted by 2nd level armorers. But could have been done by someone as these marked barrels were available back in the 80's. So know real way of telling its authenticity. I've seen a few HRA M1D snipers with the same barrel markings and correct flash hider and sling. But most were SA's.

Absent documentation showing its release by the military in its current form the value is going to be worth the sum of the parts. I would imaging that most military conversions were not done one at a time and as such the fact that it retained most of its IHC parts would be odd. Having said all that there are documented HRA and Winchester M-1Ds and at least one each Greek converted HRA and IHC M-1C rifles.

Found an open box SA stamp, an x'd out 1million range serial on the heel and cheek pad screw holes under the cheek pad.

Typically the numbering on the stock in that fashion would indicate the stock came off a Danish return.

Yes, I agree the numbering on the stock looks to be Danish, as does the grain of wood. As Bruce Canfield mentioned in his excellent book, without CMP documentation, you can never be sure if it's a true armory rebuild or a parts gun. Sometimes it's worth the wait (and money) for those deals with the DCM shipping box and accountrements still in original wrapping...those have the provenance at least.
    Regardless, it looks like a nice rifle and hopefully and excellent shooter. Also, nice photographs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy Is Here View Post
    Yes, I agree the numbering on the stock looks to be Danish, as does the grain of wood. As Bruce Canfield mentioned in his excellent book, without CMP documentation, you can never be sure if it's a true armory rebuild or a parts gun. Sometimes it's worth the wait (and money) for those deals with the DCM shipping box and accountrements still in original wrapping...those have the provenance at least.
    Regardless, it looks like a nice rifle and hopefully and excellent shooter. Also, nice photographs!
    Thanks!

I've been pulling the gun apart and photographing the small parts. So far all parts on this rifle less stock and barrel are correct IHC.
    this rifle came straight from IHC before getting the m1d conversion.
    I'll post pics of the parts.

M1D.s are mixmasters, someone either corrected a M1D or they built the whole rifle. I agree with other poster, the flash hider is a reproduction not USGI

Do you think it's worth for the op to run the serial numbers at cmp?

Quote Originally Posted by m1 sniper View Post
    Do you think it's worth for the op to run the serial numbers at cmp?
    I've been trying to get permission to post at cmp forums and so far no luck.
    I'd like to gwt on there before running the serial number.

I have Luke warm feelings about the cmp forum site. Theirs a lot of great knowledge on there and a lot of "my rifle is better than yours" type stuff on there also. Just my opinion.

M1 Sniper, +1

Canfield's giant book "The M1 Garand Rifle" shows barrel drawing number as D7312555 for genuine SA produced M1D barrel.

Send a message to Dave McClain. He will tell you if the serial number was ever listed as a sniper variant.

Quote Originally Posted by alund View Post
    Send a message to Dave McClain. He will tell you if the serial number was ever listed as a sniper variant.
    Awesome thanks I'll try!

Dave McClain can verify serial numbers for C's not D's as there is no set serial number range for M-1D conversions as they were converted at random from rifles on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    Dave McClain can verify serial numbers for C's not D's as there is no set serial number range for M-1D conversions as they were converted at random from rifles on hand.
    You're right he found nothing