Gunboards Forums banner

Need help ID'ing Repro Musket, please....

930 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  82ndpara 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This thing is totally not in my wheelhouse, so here I am, needing some advice.....

I just picked up a small lot of firearms and among them was one Navy Arms import (to be asked about later) and this Brown Bess repro. It has almost no markings, but has many features of the Japanese (Miroku?) import (less it's round marking and the word Japan). It has the brass frizzen deflector shield thing that the re-en-actors use (the previous owner being one). Can anyone definitively tell me the make of it, I'm thinking of offering up on auction....
Thank you in advance,
82ndpara

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You are correct. It is a Japanese import from the 70's.
I'll be that if you take the barrel off, you'll find the circle marking as well as the word Japan.
The sort of flat trigger guard is a Japanese Bess trait as well.
I have one in the seven hundred serial range. Owned it for about 20 years or so and used it primarily for French and Indian War reenacting. I've had a Pederosoli Bess but like the Japanese version better.
Mark

#5 ·
Mark,
Thank you for the reply and the info, I'll get to cleaning it sometime this weekend I hope and will post better follow up photos as soon as I can....
I hope it will make someone happy in the near future :)

82ndpara

#11 ·
Wood looks nice, but the metal looks abused, neglected, corroded and pitted. If the bore looks as neglected, it may be a good idea to have it checked out further before attempting live load & fire. Otherwise, be sure to sell as-is with no guarantee it's shootable.

#12 ·
The metal was definitely neglected. I just broke it down for cleaning and inspection; most of it looks superficial. I'll give the bore a good going over and will definitely advertise with caution.
Thanks,

DB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.