Makarov PM collection complete.....maybe

Thread: Makarov PM collection complete.....maybe

Default Makarov PM collection complete.....maybe

Hi all, so the Mak bug bit me hard this last year and I absolutely fell in love with the little PM. I own 4 now,

a Russian commercial that I have replaced the rear adjustable sights for a fixed low profile sight, exchanged the grips for a FAB PM-G set with U.S. style mag release, replaced the slide stop to the more rounded Bulgy version and replaced the extractor with a black one just to match the rest of the black parts of the gun

An early import E German Mak with very small discreet import marks. Clean slide on both sides besides the serial number.

Bulgarian unissued PW import which is pretty discreet as well but this puppy is as new and I will likely keep it that way mostly

And my fav carry piece. An early Bulgy import with very discreet import marks, and usual plum accents. Clean slide except for the SN and clean frame except for the Circle 10, SN and tiny CAI import mark.

So all in all I think I am happy for now with what I have collected. I don't think anything besides a smoking deal, or Russian Military import will grab my attention. Time to stockpile ammo and enjoy shooting these awesome little marvels of cold war engineering.

Still by far best made Mak I have is the German one. That thing is like glass every time I rack it and there are little to no machining marks on it. Second are the Bulgys and last comes in the Russian IJ.

Love the info I have gotten on this forum and hope to continue to learn more and more. Most of the custom work will be done on the Russian since collector value is just not there and it has a super rough finish anyway. Thinking someday .380 threaded barrel conversion, with a duracoat finish. With a can, a FAB PM-G grip, I am thinking tiger stripe black and grey distressed will look pretty cool. Will post pics when done.
    Thanks all.
    Last edited by artamus; 03-08-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Complete???
    You still need that Russian military, not to mention Chinese military and commercial examples. Looks like you're only halfway there!
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Yeah Russian military would snag my attention and maybe Chinese. I have a Russian commercial which I am just modding out. I am actually in the process of refinishing in the garage now. I figure a pro refinish job would cost me more than the money I paid for it. There are no local smiths that do hot bluing anymore or I would have paid to get that done. I love the look of a nice deep blue classic firearm. My Russian commercial example has tons of machining marks both inside and out including the barrel so I would still think twice about it. I love the way the Germans made their PM's. Those guys sure know how to make guns. My favorites are my German PM followed closely by a USP then of course respect for the Glock. Wish we could get on board with that kind of quality. S&W M&P is coming along nicely but need trigger work and minor things, Remington needs help big time. Youtube video on Remington's newest offering is embarrassing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

jonny c. is right. You are missing the main Soviet military variants (early flat trigger guard, late flat trigger guard, late slanted trigger guard, cast parts...etc etc), as well as all the Chinese variants (military and civilian). If you wanna go further, all variations of magazines , holsters, and accessories. Even further, you can collect original armorer's tools, manuals, tooling, special training cutaways, blank-firing versions, special training pistols, original transit chests, and more!!

However, there is no denying that your collection is indeed very very impressive. It really is a shame that Soviets Maks, which were produced in the millions, are so scarce in the USA. They are objectively no better or rarer than Bulgarian Makarovs, but supply and demand created this strange niche within avid collectors.

I wish you luck in completing your Makarov collection. Show us some pictures!

How about an example from each production year of the East German?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do not over look the Miltex models and the very best of all, the SIMSON SUHL!

Well I got bored and refinished the Russian commercial. Enjoyed myself as now I know how to remove every little piece of the PM. Cleaned up nice and trigger feels so smooth now. Cycles great. All around pretty happy. Let's see how long it holds up till the next refinish. Before the get the purists bashing me on altering, keep in mind I'm not getting rid of the gun. That, and it's MY gun so I guess in this great country of ours I can do what I want with my property. Especially since there is no real collectors value on these just yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0406.jpg