Gunboards Forums banner

Safe to fire? My first flint lock to take a part and clean

716 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Clyde 
#1 · (Edited)
My 36 caliber Kentucky rifle. The lock is marked J & R McGregor on the first line and Warranted on the 2nd line.
It all looks to be excellent made and the condition appears to be safe to fire. The barrel is clear and not corroded.

Tribrothers Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun
Wood Metal Steel
Revolver Tool Metal
Gun Trigger Shotgun Wood
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Trigger
Umbrella
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Product Linens

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There are many who will argue that it is not a good idea to fire an original piece, although there are ample shooters who do shoot 18th and 19th century pieces regularly.

It's hard to say, but in any case, be sure to give the rifle a VERY thorough inspection, particularly noting any faults in the barrel. The good thing is that you probably wouldn't need more than about 30 grain of FFg or FFFg, anyway, which is a fairly light load. You could probably load even less powder and still have it shoot well.

I have one rifle made circa 1840s that I do, in fact, plan to shoot, as it has a really heavy barrel, and is in very good shape.

#3 ·
On these it's a good idea to have the barrel x-rayed or examined by some other means that will reveal its actual condition, in particular the area around the breech. I sold a really nice original US martial flintlock to a relative who being an engineer, had the barrel x-rayed (not expensive) before he fired it. What was revealed was a pattern of extensive fissuring in the breech area, probably from an overload long ago, that wasn't apparent by visual inspection. In spite of its sound appearance, that musket isn't safe to shoot with any load.

#4 ·
Please take the advice here, or that of a competent gunsmith who is familiar with BP arms of that era. With a careful examination behind it, you just MIGHT have a nice-shooting rifle worth a deal of money.

Without a close and expert examination you might just have a bunch of sharp-edged bits sticking out of your forehead.

The choice is yours, but I dare say that while most of us are happy[ish] to shoot a percussion rifle from the mid-1800's, very few of us would be willing to shoot a flintlock arm from that time.

tac

#5 ·
Stammtisch and tacfoley2 speak wisdom.

Bottom line, if you want to shoot flintlocks (and I really recommend doing so, as they are a lot of fun), there are many modern made rifles that are meant for shooting. Feel free to PM me with a phone number if you'd like to discuss some options.

#8 ·
Probably not medical, they (1) would be unlikely to cooperate; and (2) unlikely to have the right sort of gear. In D-FW area should be industrial sources who can and will do the work without breaking the bank.

Can also magnaflux or dye-test it.

Very nice looking piece. At .36 cal, what most call a squirrel rifle, I think. I'd check it for breech condition, and unless very bad, shoot it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.