B-8 binocular double vision issue

Thread: B-8 binocular double vision issue

Default B-8 binocular double vision issue

Since it was a sniper accessory I figured this would be the right place to post it. Anyways, some time ago I bought this nice soviet sniper binocular and ever since had this issue that I never could figure out. The problem is that the sight picture from one monocular overlapping the sight picture of the other one when looking with both eyes. Mosin sniper manual says that when it happens, the user needs to close monoculars and then slowly start spreading them until the sight picture from both tubes becomes one. When that happens, the distance is considered correct and should be remembered by whoever uses it. Different person might need to readjust for his/hers eyes. No matter how much I played with spreading and closing it the vision is still overlapping and doubled as a result. The image is perfect if I look with one eye only thru either ocular. Any suggestions what it might be?
    Last edited by pavlin; 03-09-2017 at 04:59 AM.

In any case you need to disassemble them.
    If you will be lucky, you will be able to correct doubling with rotation of one of the objective lenses, in worst -you will need to move prisms.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    Since it was a sniper accessory I figured this would be the right place to post it. Anyways, some time ago I bought this nice soviet sniper binocular and ever since had this issue that I never could figure out. The problem is that the sight picture from one monocular overlapping the sight picture of the other one when looking with both eyes. Mosin sniper manual says that when it happens, the user needs to close monoculars and then slowly start spreading them until the sight picture from both tubes becomes one. When that happens, the distance is considered correct and should be remembered by whoever uses it. Different person might need to readjust for his/hers eyes. No matter how much I played with spreading and closing it the vision is still overlapping and doubled as a result. The image is perfect if I look with one eye only thru either ocular. Any suggestions what it might be?
    That adjustment is called collimation. Some binos have the collimation adusting screws accessible externally but usually hidden under the vinyl or leather barrel covering. They adjust the prisms.

If not externally adjustable or you're not comfortable removing the covering, best to send to an optics company specializing in collimation. A few should show up on an internet search. They have a special machine that makes it quick and easy as opposed to the hit-or-miss DIY. Not a cheap process, but if the value is there and you need/want to use them, if they are quality binos you should only have to do it once in your lifetime if you don't drop or abuse them.

Jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Soviet military binoculars don't have collimation adjusting screws