Gunboards Forums banner

New England Westinghouse, UNISSUED, Surcharged, Late Production, Narrative & Pictures

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Pahtu 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Wow. Would have liked to see pictures prior to the cleaning.

#8 ·
I have a very similar NEW with a birch stock. And it's just a little younger than the OP's!

This rifle I obtained years ago from a shop that frowns upon vintage military rifles. I saw it behind the counter before it had been priced and asked to see it. I asked how much and they pulled out an old blue book and said "$175". I paid for it on the spot. They literally laughed at me as I walked out the door.

This is the very same shop that recently I walked in and saw a S&W 1917 for what I thought was $249. I was going to buy it immediately, but once it was out of the case I saw the full price. It was $2,499! It was a Brazilian contract in ok condition. The clerk clearly had heard about the price before and got angry. He held it under my face and pointed to the Century Arms import mark and said "do you see that! It's called an "Import Mark"! That makes it super rare!" I didn't miss a beat and asked "Are you buying?". He said no, not at the moment. Anyways, you never know when or where you'll make a great find.

Attachments

#12 ·
Very nice. It's good that there are some pristine examples of these. Really should be on display somewhere to show people what quality workmanship looked like, even in the "olden days" of the early 1900s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.