My new M28/30, latest known serial #

Thread: My new M28/30, latest known serial #

Default My new M28/30, latest known serial #

I recently picked up an M28/30. I am pretty thrilled to have it. It is very late production, as it is the last recorded serial # for a M28/30. (See screenshot from Mosinnagant.net)
    Appears to be original bluing and barrel looks nearly unfired. Awesome matching stock. I posted this because I would like to get advice/opinions on a few things.
    #1. Cleaning rod is missing. I need one. I heard that an M39 rod is appropriate. Would the earlier rod still be correct?
    #2. What kind of muzzle cover is appropriate? Brass(smooth or knurled) or steel?
    #3. I heard that the slings are rare and expensive. Could one of these be "sort of" correct for this late model? https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...2&idcategory=0
    #4. Butt plate is non-matching. Mag is a proper HV mag but not HV marked. I have been told that a model this late would not have had a matching butt plate or an HV stamp, and therefore they are likely correct and original. Just thought I would try to get a consensus on that to determine whether or not I should swap out those parts. I don't want to swap out anything that was originally put there. Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gustro79; 03-09-2017 at 04:54 PM.

1. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a M39 cleaning rod used in a M28/30 and with this one being so late, I suppose it may be considered correct but I'm sure those who know more than I do will chime in on that.

2. A M28/30 muzzle cover would be the most correct.

3. From what I remember, a Sk.Y marked canvas/leather sling is correct on these, however considering the Finns used anything they could, any Finnish sling could be considered correct.

4. The buttplate is fine. I'm fairly certain they were no longer stamped with the last two digits of the serial in 1940. I can't speak to the HV mark though.

Hope that helps some. I'm sure others will chime in soon to help more and correct me if I made any mistakes.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Gustro,

If you're looking for sling or cleaning kit items, let me know. I have some I'm going to list soon.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful gun!

Unfortunately, the MN website info is about 15 years old (hopefully Vic can update it now that he now longer has the hassle of doing all the grunt work here) and so there is lots of new info. 72908 is actually the highest known at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    Beautiful gun!

Unfortunately, the MN website info is about 15 years old (hopefully Vic can update it now that he now longer has the hassle of doing all the grunt work here) and so there is lots of new info. 72908 is actually the highest known at this point.
    That's a bummer. There are hundreds that came after!? Just a matter of time before a "later" one is found I guess. Good to know though, thanks!

Last edited by Gustro79; 03-09-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Real nice looking rifle, congrats. Fred does pretty well far as I know on keeping up with SN# his list is my number one source. I am missing the two largest production years of 28/30s, 1939 and 1940. There are some real pretty 1940s out there and they bring the prices that the more rare ones don't? Again congrats on fine looking rifle. Regards, John.

Very nice, latest serial or not.

Very nice late M28/30. I would not change a thing. On a rifle this late, an M39 rod and any Finnish sling would be correct.
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Very nice late M28/30. I would not change a thing. On a rifle this late, an M39 rod and any Finnish sling would be correct.
    Thanks everyone! Since this doesn't have hangers, I'm guessing the sling needs dog collars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    +1 What he said! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Very nice rifle, the stock is beautiful. Very nice pick up and great for any collection. Congrats

Gustro79, that is a beautiful m28/30!

Quote Originally Posted by Gustro79 View Post
    I recently picked up an M28/30. I am pretty thrilled to have it. It is very late production, as it is the last recorded serial # for a M28/30. (See screenshot from Mosinnagant.net)
    Appears to be original bluing and barrel looks nearly unfired. Awesome matching stock. I posted this because I would like to get advice/opinions on a few things.

#1. Cleaning rod is missing. I need one. I heard that an M39 rod is appropriate. Would the earlier rod still be correct?
    #2. What kind of muzzle cover is appropriate? Brass(smooth or knurled) or steel?
    #3. I heard that the slings are rare and expensive. Could one of these be "sort of" correct for this late model? https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...2&idcategory=0
    #4. Butt plate is non-matching. Mag is a proper HV mag but not HV marked. I have been told that a model this late would not have had a matching butt plate or an HV stamp, and therefore they are likely correct and original. Just thought I would try to get a consensus on that to determine whether or not I should swap out those parts. I don't want to swap out anything that was originally put there. Thanks!!!
    Yes, this rifle certainly appears to be close to original condition.

#1. If possible, I would say get an m/28-30 cleaning rod as you can't go wrong with it. The m/39 style rod is so so. Even though the "universal rifle committee" had decided as early as on April 18th, 1939 that the upcoming m/39 would be fitted with different cleaning rod than the m/28-30 there were almost no m/39 rifles manufactured until early 1941. For example, the m/39 serial number 200004 was test fired and accepted at Sako on December 7th, 1940.

Yes, we don't know when the first m/39 cleaning rods were manufactured (sure there's a supply contract out there) but still...

#2. There's only one correct muzzle cover for the m/28-30 and it's the short knurled one made of brass. The m/39 covers are longer.

#3. If you want to have a Civil Guard sling that was made roughly at the same time the most "correct" would be the late two piece m/30 with wire buckles, made of green leather. Sk.Y ordered these in September 1940 and 4000 units were made by the end of that year. I suppose though the rifle was delivered right to the combat troops (no S number) and basically any sling would be correct.

#4. After studying a few m/28-30s made in 1940 it seems likely that some Civil Guard features were discontinued. The rear sight, for example, is a good reference for this as it can't be swapped easily. The 1940 rifles I've seen don't have the rear sight control marks (circles and crosses) anymore. I also think that height of the original front sight blade isn't stamped to the barrel. I'm not sure if the SA did that sometimes later during refurbs. My m/39-43 has that even though it has VKT barrel.

The buttplate and magazine features are harder to follow but yours are like the ones I've seen and would consider them as original parts.

Is there four last digits of serial number stamped to the bolt knob while the old Russian serial number has been removed very neatly, as made in the factory?
    Last edited by CH; 03-10-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Very nice rifle Gustro. Not sure where you keep finding these gems but good job.

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Yes, this rifle certainly appears to be close to original condition.

#1. If possible, I would say get an m/28-30 cleaning rod as you can't go wrong with it. The m/39 style rod is so so. Even though the "universal rifle committee" had decided as early as on April 18th, 1939 that the upcoming m/39 would be fitted with different cleaning rod than the m/28-30 there were almost no m/39 rifles manufactured until early 1941. For example, the m/39 serial number 200004 was test fired and accepted at Sako on December 7th, 1940.

Yes, we don't know when the first m/39 cleaning rods were manufactured (sure there's a supply contract out there) but still...

#2. There's only one correct muzzle cover for the m/28-30 and it's the short knurled one made of brass. The m/39 covers are longer.

#3. If you want to have a Civil Guard sling that was made roughly at the same time the most "correct" would be the late two piece m/30 with wire buckles, made of green leather. Sk.Y ordered these in September 1940 and 4000 units were made by the end of that year. I suppose though the rifle was delivered right to the combat troops (no S number) and basically any sling would be correct.

#4. After studying a few m/28-30s made in 1940 it seems likely that some Civil Guard features were discontinued. The rear sight, for example, is a good reference for this as it can't be swapped easily. The 1940 rifles I've seen don't have the rear sight control marks (circles and crosses) anymore. I also think that height of the original front sight blade isn't stamped to the barrel. I'm not sure if the SA did that sometimes later during refurbs. My m/39-43 has that even though it has VKT barrel.

The buttplate and magazine features are harder to follow but yours are like the ones I've seen and would consider them as original parts.

Is there four last digits of serial number stamped to the bolt knob while the old Russian serial number has been removed very neatly, as made in the factory?
    This is great info, thank you! The bolt knob has 4 numbers but I do see the Russian line-out on the bolt.

This is great info, thank you! The bolt knob has 4 numbers but I do see the Russian line-out on the bolt.
    Interesting, the number on knob has "legit" appearence to me. What does the Russian number look like?

EDIT: ...or are you refering the "77590" as the Russian number?

Interesting, the number on knob has "legit" appearence to me. What does the Russian number look like?
    The Russian number is visible in the picture

The Russian number is visible in the picture

Or is that just an old Finn number?

EDIT: ...or are you refering the "77590" as the Russian number?
    Yes that is what I was referring to, what number is that?

I don't know Russian m/91 rifles well enough to tell which users could have stamped the "77590" to the side of the bolt but that is nothing to worry about. Sometimes in the mid-1920s Civil Guard also stamped their district numbers (sometimes even without S prefix) to this location and when the bolts were reused, like when making an m/28-30, it was apparently found more sensible, for sake of functionality, to line out this number, rather than removing metal from this location.

What I meant by saying "neat removal of Russian serial number" is this. These are the bolts of 1939 and 1940 Sk.Y rifles and 1939 SAKO RIIHIMÄKI. I suspect these are all of Sako's work and so is yours.