Gunboards Forums banner

1851 Colt Navy Original Engraved - Need to ID Engraver

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Air Tractor 
#1 ·
Hi All from New Zealand,

Hopefully the following link works, as it has HD photos to assist identification of this fine revolver that belonged to a very dear friend of mine who passed away last year.

I will explain as much as I know, and can remember, and hopefully the world wide web of knowledge can help me to identify the engraver and assist with value of this awesome revolver for his widow.

It was made in 1856.

It was sold from Colt in the white and engraved and blued outside the Colt Factory, hence the difficulty identifying the engraver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I could be one of the 19th Master Engravers Gustave Young or Louise D. Nimschke, as they both engraved outside the factory, but who knows???

Link Below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d6k5zf1lobosrq1/AACxBNmAQ6XbgP_QIlaU5JqZa?dl=0

P.S. I am aware that the case, bullet mould and powder flask are reproductions. They were simply purchased years ago for the look, not to mislead. I also know front sight is broken... :-(

P.S.S. Can't research this through Colt, as (I believe from reading their website) this serial number is outside their records range.

Cheers & thanks in advance,

Nigel

See less See more
#2 ·
I wish I could help you with the engraver, but this sure is a nice looking pistol. Dare I say pretty. My Colt 1851 has a factory navy battle scene on the cylinder that I believe is a Texas navy battle if I remember correctly. Mine was made in Colt's London factory. Mine might have 5% finish at best remaining.

Tribrothers

#3 ·
Can't say for sure of course, but it is an early gun and the work "feels" like Ormsby's "banknote" style. Go over that '51 Navy with a good loupe and soft slanting light and look for a signature somewhere. Search for Ormsby. He probably made the plates for your currency too. Excellent Colt BTW. Beautiful condition for being obviously used to a degree. Interior climate and good dark storage worked for you. There are books with samples of the early engravers and collectors that only lust after those pieces of metal art and would get you an answer with a glance. Good luck!!!

#4 ·
I'm going to cast my vote for nimschke as the engraver, or perhaps an engraver of the "nimschke" school. As far as I've read, Ormsby was commissioned by Colt to create the cylinder scenes but I'm not aware of him being an engraver of firearms in the same way as Nimschke or Young.

From what I've seen of Young engraved guns, his style was a little more "complex" than Nimschke and he also included a dogs head, often, within the engraving. I'm not saying every Young engraving had a dogs head, but he certainly included one on enough examples to become known for it.

Google Ninschke and Young. there are ample images to compare to see if your 1851 is similar.

By the way, that is a truly remarkable colt!

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far Guy's, and yes it is a beauty alright. My old mate, knew what he was doing and has taught me the same.

I have researched Young & Nimschke on-line and am 99.99% sure it isn't Young, as I can't see any of his signature markings (dogs head and dots indicated days of work...) However, I couldn't find any info on what Nimschke's signature markings were, so haven't ruled him out. I don't disagree with AlamoCity's post about possibly being a student of Nimschke, but even then I don't know what to look for.

I am really hopeful that someone will direct an expert in Colt engraving in the mid 1800's to this thread and actually nail down who the engraver was. Worst case scenario is that it is simply a student engraver and we will never know exactly who it is, but if we knew who is Teacher/Master was, then that would be great.

Cheers,

Nigel

#8 ·
I have the book "L. D. Nimschke Firearms Engraver" by Wilson. In it you will find 2 full pages of Nimschke signatures. Here are a few he used. N, LN, LDN, L. D. N., LDN ENG, LDN ENGR, LDN N.Y., L. D. N. N. Y., L.D.N. St. Louis, NIMSCHKE, NIMSCHKE N.Y., L. D. NIMSCHKE ENG. N.Y. As you can see, he was all over the place with his signature. Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.