Makarov brass

Thread: Makarov brass

Default Makarov brass

Hi all I want to start reloading for my Makarov I've got dies, molds for the cast bullets I make. I all set except for one thing. All the ammo I have is steel or aluminum cased. I know I can trim 9mm Luger brass, but I don't want to do that unless I have know other choice. I load and shoot 9mm Luger and so does my son. Even when I mark the trimmed cases I am concerned that it will be to easy to mix the cases up. So does anyone know were I can get some reasonably priced Makarov brass? I can even trade fo 9mm Luger, .40, .45acp or cast bullets. .356 124gn 9mm RN or .365 95gn RN (Makarov bullets). Or I'll buy them, but not for the prices I've found on line. Starline brass wants $87.50 for 500 rounds. That's $ .18 a round, for brass! Heck I can buy ammo for $ .23 a round. For $ .18 a round for brass it's cheaper to buy ammo than to reload. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Feel free to pm me if it would be easier. Thanks for your help
    Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation!

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

My usual source for brass is to get hold of some boxer-primed ammunition for the caliber in question and just fire them.

In 9X18, you can currently get several different brands in Boxer-primed brass, including Prvi Partizan, GECO, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, and Red Army Standard.

Some of these are available in quantity for less than .30 per round (including shipping) from a number of distributors.

I am currently sitting on a bunch of FMS rounds that I am waiting to 'empty' before I start reloading in this caliber.

I am not commenting on the quality of brass, but some of the above brands have good reputations for reloading. and some don't. I haven't yet reloaded any of these in 9X18, but in other calibers I have had no problems with the Prvi or Fiocchi brass. I also hear the Red Army is decent.

Fiocchi seems to be abundant right now in many places. I placed 2 orders for 500 rounds from Dan's in the last year and it was 125 but now I see it's went up to 139. Guess nothing ever goes down in price, at least nothing that you want.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I bought a couple hundred Starline cases from Midway and then I bought a couple of boxes of Greco on-line. They were relatively cheap and I bought them just for the brass. Once the initial investment in brass is made, I figure my reloads are less than $6/50.

I've reloaded S&B and RAS with great results. As good as Starline IMO.

As I said in my op starlines prices in my opinion. $87.50 for 500 rounds of empty unprimed brass is ridiculous. $.18 a round for once fired pistol brass! I can buy new . 223 for less. I guess it's just me but I have a hard time justifying spending basically $8.50 for 50 rounds of used unprimed brass when the last time I bought ammo for my Makarov and P64 I paid $7.97 a box of 50. Unfortunately it was blazer aluminum cased. I bought 1800 rounds. All Field & Stream had. I did find a place that has it for a lot less than starline. Out of stock now but supposedly will have it by beginning of next week. We'll see. If I can't find mak brass I'll trim some 9mm Luger. I don't want to but I will. I already have over 5000 pieces.
    If
    Last edited by Poppy42; 03-11-2017 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Damn autocorrect

There's a difference between buying cheap and buying smart.

Even at $.18 a case, unless you just leave your fired brass laying around you can still save by reloading. Reload that brass nine times and you are down to 2 cents per throw.

If you are buying your steel-cased stuff at about $.23 a round ( according to Gun Deals.com I can get 1000 rounds of Tula delivered from SGAmmo for 20.5 cents a round) and can get Boxer-primed brass for under $.30, (I can also get a 900 round case of Red Army Standard delivered to my door from J&G Sales for 27.5 cents per round) it is telling me that by buying the Red Army, you are getting once fired (in YOUR gun) Boxer brass for an additional cost of 7 cents per round.

If you can recover nearly all of your fired brass (I easily recover something over 95% on the outdoor range I shoot most often at), you can probably reload that brass seven to ten times (not a lot bad happens to this stuff) and you then get the brass price down to something under one cent per round per shot.

You aren't going to do a whole lot better than that.
    Last edited by Ronbo6; 03-12-2017 at 12:10 AM. Reason: corrected numbers, added detail

Starline brass is not once fired or used. It is a brand new item.

Quote Originally Posted by Simson-Suhl View Post
    Starline brass is not once fired or used. It is a brand new item.
    Ok it's still not worth $.18 a round in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    There's a difference between buying cheap and buying smart.

If you are buying your steel-cased stuff at $.23 a round ( according to Gun Deals.com I can get 1000 rounds of Tula delivered from sGAmmo for 20.5 cents a round) and can get Boxer-primed brass for under $.30, (I can also get a 900 round case of Red Army Standard delivered to my door from J&G Sales for 27.5 cents per round) it is telling me that by buying the Red Army, I am getting Boxer brass for 7 cents a round.

If you can recover nearly all of your fired brass, you can probably reload that brass seven to ten times (not a lot bad happens to this stuff) and get the price down to something under one cent per round.

You aren't going to do a whole lot better than that.
    Thanks but I don't have a spare $300 to spend on ammo. The whole point of my post was to ask fellow forum members if they had or knew someone or someplace I could buy some used brass at a reasonable price. I never said I was buying my ammo for $.23 I said I could buy it. And that was a comparison to $.18 for brass from starline. I am well aware what ammo I can buy online. I don't buy online if I can avoid it. The reason being I buy my ammo when I have the funds 5 or 6 boxes at a time. If I buy that way on line I generally pay the same shipping as I would if I bought 1000 rounds. Not that I should need to explain my experiences or how I buy my ammo. I never expected to be chastised on what ammo I bought or how I buy it. I even revived a post telling me how starline is new brass. That's great. Not one person responded to my question. I would have been happy with a hey I know it's expensive but starline is the best and that's why they charge what they do. I am starting to reload for my Makarov to save money and because I enjoy reloading the other rounds I shoot. I don't shoot competitively. I don't expect moa accuracy from my Makarov. When I made my op I was hoping to find some likeminded people that might be in the same situation. I was hoping that maybe we could help each other out. Maybe someone needed another caliber brass and maybe we could make a trade. Maybe someone knew of someone who would sell some reasonable.
    What I got was how I'm not buying my ammo smart, ware I should buy my ammo and how much ammo I should buy. This is not the first time I have posted on this forum but based on the type of responses I received from this post and the others it will be my last. I was under the assumption that those with a lot more knowledge about Makarovs than I were willing to help those that were new to the weapon. To take pity on the newbe.

i would like to say thank you to those who were helpful with any of my inexperienced questions.

In addition I would like to apologize to the rest for wasting there time. Don't worry it won't happen again.
    good by

Wow! Chill!

If you are already buying your ammunition in quantities of 5 or 6 boxes at a time from a retail source (which is what? $60 to $100 at current store retail prices at the best?), you are ALREADY well on the way to being able to buy a CASE of 900 rounds (18 boxes) of reloadable ammunition AT A COMPARABLE OR BETTER PRICE PER ROUND from a distributor.

The way I see it:

It isn't really all that out of the ballpark to save up a bit and buy a case of ammunition from a distributor under your circumstances.

Buying 900 rounds of Boxer ammunition for UNDER $250, GETTING 900 ROUNDS TO SHOOT IN THE PROCESS AND GETTING 900 RELOADABLE CASES just makes more sense to me than spending $87.50 for 500 rounds of just brass, no matter how stellar the reputation of the brass you are buying.

By the way, $87.50 for 500 rounds of Starline brass equates to $157.50 for 900 rounds.

The Red Army brass will in all likelihood reload just as well as the Starline, and after you account for what you DIDN'T have to pay for the brass, you get to shoot 900 rounds of ammunition that is otherwise very similar to the stuff you are already shooting for a net cost of roughly a dime per shot.

Your proverbial 'six boxes of ammunition' now costs you something just over $30.00 net, and you have three of those packages.

Solving your need for low-priced brass AND providing you exceedingly low-cost ammunition to shoot. Is THAT a good deal?

Buying smart.

I was just trying to point out that you have to consider the OVERALL cost of your purchases along with alternatives. Something that often does NOT get done.

I am reminded of the old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Don't blame ME for talking down to you. I gave you the best advice I could, and I do not believe I used an insulting tone to do it..

Good luck in your future endeavors. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.
    Last edited by Ronbo6; 03-12-2017 at 09:48 AM.

frown

Yeah, but I'm a little unsure of the quality of Fiocchi. I bought two boxes of their ammo for my M1895 Mosin and have had four rounds out of one of the boxes with a fine primer strike but the rounds didn't fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Yeah, but I'm a little unsure of the quality of Fiocchi. I bought two boxes of their ammo for my M1895 Mosin and have had four rounds out of one of the boxes with a fine primer strike but the rounds didn't fire.
    I find that Fiocchi makes some of the best brass for reloading 7.62X38R.

It is thinner at the case mouth than PRVI brass and I find that I can load a larger diameter bullet without running into trouble chambering the reloaded rounds. As a result, my Fiocchi brass reloads shoot roughly 2/3 the group size of my Prvi brass reloads.

I have a 50 caliber ammo can of 38R (packed solid) of mostly Fiocchi 7.62X38R and like I described above, I am getting my reloadable 38R brass by firing my way through it.

I didn't buy it over the internet, though. Most of what I have (14 full boxes, less six rounds) came along with a Nagant I bought in a gun show package deal. I haven't had he misfire problem you described so far with any of mine.

Poppy42, if your hurt feelings recover and you still need some brass, post a WTB on the MakarovTrader forum. This isnt the appropriate place to ask and this thread is getting locked.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.