8mm Stripper Clip for 1907 Roth-Steyr pistol
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: 8mm Stripper Clip for 1907 Roth-Steyr pistol

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default 8mm Stripper Clip for 1907 Roth-Steyr pistol

    I recently acquired a 8mm Roth-Steyr pistol and am looking for a stripper clip for loading it. Anyone know where I can locate one or what can be used as a substitute? Repo's are OK. Been through all the search engines and most all the big name on-line auctio site with no luck. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Tough to find. Originals usually go for $100+.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I wish they were only $100, last couple I've seen sell went for over $200+ without the ammo

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Yup, they are very expensive. You do know you don't need them to load the pistol, you can use the square button to lock the slide open and then just load into the magazine from the top just like you would an external magazine.

    Frank

  6. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Reproduction clips go for $100... They have Hebrew symbols on them and are easily recognizable as reproductions.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    180

    Default

    $100 is very expensive for a reproduction stripper clip, especially since you don't need them to load the pistol. Repro 1907 holsters are around $35

    I personally would love one original clip, to go along with my original holster and pistol

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkefj View Post
    Yup, they are very expensive. You do know you don't need them to load the pistol, you can use the square button to lock the slide open and then just load into the magazine from the top just like you would an external magazine.

    Frank
    Frank..... Thanks for the info. I did not know that and I am going to try it out right now. I wondered what that button was for.......

    Frank.... I must be doing something wrong. I pressed the little square button at the top of the slide on the left, but it did not hold the slide back. It didn't press in as far as when the slide is closed. What do you think? Am I doing it worng or do you think I need to pull the gun apart and see if it is not aligning with a cut in the bolt to keep it locked back?
    Last edited by RetE8USN; 03-15-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: More info

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Reproduction clips go for $100... They have Hebrew symbols on them and are easily recognizable as reproductions.
    Nick.... Do you have a source for the repoduction clips???

    I saw one on Ebay 2 days ago that was from Austria. Original with Austrian markings. It sold for $350+

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I have two to go with the pistol here - one has a W inside a circle and the other has a stylized C and R (looks like) inside a circle. If I had to guess, I would say the circle W was original and the other an old repro.
    "Socialism is the Philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." ~Winston Churchill

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    448

    Default

    I believe you have to pull the slide back as far as you can, then push the square button in, then release the slide slowly.

    Frank


    Quote Originally Posted by RetE8USN View Post
    Frank..... Thanks for the info. I did not know that and I am going to try it out right now. I wondered what that button was for.......

    Frank.... I must be doing something wrong. I pressed the little square button at the top of the slide on the left, but it did not hold the slide back. It didn't press in as far as when the slide is closed. What do you think? Am I doing it worng or do you think I need to pull the gun apart and see if it is not aligning with a cut in the bolt to keep it locked back?

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    The W and GR markings are both original Austrian, not repros.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    The W and GR markings are both original Austrian, not repros.

    Thanks Jonny!
    "Socialism is the Philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." ~Winston Churchill

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Johnny.... Do you have the specs on an original recoil spring for the 1907?? I found out the the recoil spring was fully compressed and not allowing the bolt to go back far enough for the "button" to catch in the slide (tried it assembeled without the recoil spring and marked the bolt to where it stoped and locked up properly). I shortened the spring about 3 coils and it now works properly. However, I think the recoil spring was replaced by one that was not factory specs. I am going to tear the gun apart again tomorrow and measure the spring diameter inside and outside, and the spring thickness and post the results.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Sorry......as an ammo collector I know a bit about the strippers, and find one or two every couple of years. I know next to nothing about the pistols themselves, however. Doesn't surprise me at all that the previous owner couldn't find a spec spring and substituted something "close". Wolff Springs doesn't list one.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    Sorry......as an ammo collector I know a bit about the strippers, and find one or two every couple of years. I know next to nothing about the pistols themselves, however. Doesn't surprise me at all that the previous owner couldn't find a spec spring and substituted something "close". Wolff Springs doesn't list one.
    Thanks for the reply Johnny. Tried all the parts stores I know of.... Numerich, Sarco, Wolf Springs, Bob's Gun Parts and several others. Guess next step is to find a patent number and try finding the Austrian Patent drawing. Maybe I'll get lucky....

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    335

    Default

    i sold one for a bargain $210 shipped to a fellow from this board,i had no use for it and he needed it.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    511

    Default

    About a year ago I picked up 4 of these clips w/ammo. The first 2 I paid $212 for the pair. The other 2 I paid $215 each. The icing on the cake was the original ammo still in the clips. May give you an idea of the price you can expect to pay.

    Don

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I'm going to a big cartridge collector show next month and I've found one or two there before. One member has promised first dibs (wink), but RetE8USN, I'll let you know if I have any available after that.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    I'm going to a big cartridge collector show next month and I've found one or two there before. One member has promised first dibs (wink), but RetE8USN, I'll let you know if I have any available after that.
    Johnny.... 2nd dibs is fine with me!

  21. #20
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RetE8USN View Post
    Nick.... Do you have a source for the repoduction clips???

    I saw one on Ebay 2 days ago that was from Austria. Original with Austrian markings. It sold for $350+
    Unfortunately not at this moment. I had quite a few of them, but thinned my collection.

    And I ain't tellin' how much the real holsters cost. Repro holsters? Why?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M7 and Clips.jpg   M7 Clips 1.jpg  
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Unfortunately not at this moment. I had quite a few of them, but thinned my collection.

    And I ain't tellin' how much the real holsters cost. Repro holsters? Why?
    Nick.... Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

    Ron

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    180

    Default

    There was one original clip (with 1 round of original ammo) at the Tulsa show last weekend. It was the only one there, asking price was $175 and I was able to get it for $160

    I'll be looking for one more to complete my set, shows you they're out there though

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
    There was one original clip (with 1 round of original ammo) at the Tulsa show last weekend. It was the only one there, asking price was $175 and I was able to get it for $160

    I'll be looking for one more to complete my set, shows you they're out there though
    Ya got me all excited for a min Jimja.... For a min I thought you were going to offer it to me..... ... If you want to help out a fellow collector who has none, PM me with your asking price........

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    AZ.
    Posts
    149

    Cool stripper.... clip

    Ya got me all excited for a min. I have read ,but do not know for a fact, that tok strippers can be used. The ones used for the T-33 pistols.
    black RIFLES matter !

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    .30 carbine clips work fine for the rim diameter. You do have to do some modifications to get it to fit into the pistol's stripper slot. No bending, but I did have to take the Dremel tool cutter wheel and trim off some of the rolled over portion of the strippper clip enough to fit into the slot but leaving enough to hold the cartridge. Without the plunger 1 stripper clip will hold 10 rounds but it is tough to get them to slide into the magazine. I used 1 1/2 stripper clips to make room for a plunger which I am now working on. I also removed the brss colored retention spring piece from the stripper clip before grinding the clip down, then replaced it. It works better if you also grind an opening on the back of the clip like the original has and then slightly bend the "forked" area together.

    Once I get a complete working model together I post some pictures.

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZBronco View Post
    Ya got me all excited for a min. I have read ,but do not know for a fact, that tok strippers can be used. The ones used for the T-33 pistols.
    The TT33 pistol does not use strippers, nor do any auto-pistols specifically chambered for the 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  28. #27
    Clyde's Avatar
    Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    73,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    The TT33 pistol does not use strippers, nor do any auto-pistols specifically chambered for the 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge.
    True dat - but 7.63mm Mauser (a/k/a .30 Mauser or 7.63x25 Mauser) do use strippers.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

  29. #28
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where HAL-9000 was built
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    But a "tok stripper"? I would love to see it.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

    "Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

    "A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    True dat - but 7.63mm Mauser (a/k/a .30 Mauser or 7.63x25 Mauser) do use strippers.
    True, but that's not what was posted. And just how would you use a stripper with a TT or CZ???
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  31. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    I'm going to a big cartridge collector show next month and I've found one or two there before. One member has promised first dibs (wink), but RetE8USN, I'll let you know if I have any available after that.
    Johnny C........ No longer need the charger/stripper clip. But thanks for the offer if you found one at the show.

  32. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    True dat - but 7.63mm Mauser (a/k/a .30 Mauser or 7.63x25 Mauser) do use strippers.
    I have the Mauser stripper clips - too large to work - already tried those. If you tried to modify to fit, there would be nothing left to hold the rounds in. My "work around" using .30 carbine stripper clips does work and as soon as I get the "pusher" done, I'll post pictures.

  33. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RetE8USN View Post
    Johnny C........ No longer need the charger/stripper clip. But thanks for the offer if you found one at the show.
    Good to hear! I only saw one at the show, but it was part of a guy's display and he wouldn't sell it.
    The hunt continues...........
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  34. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
    There was one original clip (with 1 round of original ammo) at the Tulsa show last weekend. It was the only one there, asking price was $175 and I was able to get it for $160

    I'll be looking for one more to complete my set, shows you they're out there though
    Jimja.... you stole that at $160..... I just bought 2 from a collector in Ohio for $230 ea plus shipping.......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •