Gunboards Forums banner

8mm Stripper Clip for 1907 Roth-Steyr pistol

7K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  RetE8USN 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a 8mm Roth-Steyr pistol and am looking for a stripper clip for loading it. Anyone know where I can locate one or what can be used as a substitute? Repo's are OK. Been through all the search engines and most all the big name on-line auctio site with no luck. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#7 · (Edited)
Frank..... Thanks for the info. I did not know that and I am going to try it out right now. I wondered what that button was for.......

Frank.... I must be doing something wrong. I pressed the little square button at the top of the slide on the left, but it did not hold the slide back. It didn't press in as far as when the slide is closed. What do you think? Am I doing it worng or do you think I need to pull the gun apart and see if it is not aligning with a cut in the bolt to keep it locked back?

#5 ·
Reproduction clips go for $100... They have Hebrew symbols on them and are easily recognizable as reproductions.

#8 ·
Nick.... Do you have a source for the repoduction clips???

I saw one on Ebay 2 days ago that was from Austria. Original with Austrian markings. It sold for $350+

#9 ·
I have two to go with the pistol here - one has a W inside a circle and the other has a stylized C and R (looks like) inside a circle. If I had to guess, I would say the circle W was original and the other an old repro.

#13 ·
Johnny.... Do you have the specs on an original recoil spring for the 1907?? I found out the the recoil spring was fully compressed and not allowing the bolt to go back far enough for the "button" to catch in the slide (tried it assembeled without the recoil spring and marked the bolt to where it stoped and locked up properly). I shortened the spring about 3 coils and it now works properly. However, I think the recoil spring was replaced by one that was not factory specs. I am going to tear the gun apart again tomorrow and measure the spring diameter inside and outside, and the spring thickness and post the results.

#14 ·
Sorry......as an ammo collector I know a bit about the strippers, and find one or two every couple of years. I know next to nothing about the pistols themselves, however. Doesn't surprise me at all that the previous owner couldn't find a spec spring and substituted something "close". Wolff Springs doesn't list one.

#15 ·
Thanks for the reply Johnny. Tried all the parts stores I know of.... Numerich, Sarco, Wolf Springs, Bob's Gun Parts and several others. Guess next step is to find a patent number and try finding the Austrian Patent drawing. Maybe I'll get lucky....

#18 ·
I'm going to a big cartridge collector show next month and I've found one or two there before. One member has promised first dibs (wink), but RetE8USN, I'll let you know if I have any available after that.

#19 ·
Johnny.... 2nd dibs is fine with me!

#23 ·
Ya got me all excited for a min Jimja.... For a min I thought you were going to offer it to me..... :laugh:... If you want to help out a fellow collector who has none, PM me with your asking price........

#26 ·
Ya got me all excited for a min. I have read ,but do not know for a fact, that tok strippers can be used. The ones used for the T-33 pistols.
The TT33 pistol does not use strippers, nor do any auto-pistols specifically chambered for the 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge.

#25 ·
.30 carbine clips work fine for the rim diameter. You do have to do some modifications to get it to fit into the pistol's stripper slot. No bending, but I did have to take the Dremel tool cutter wheel and trim off some of the rolled over portion of the strippper clip enough to fit into the slot but leaving enough to hold the cartridge. Without the plunger 1 stripper clip will hold 10 rounds but it is tough to get them to slide into the magazine. I used 1 1/2 stripper clips to make room for a plunger which I am now working on. I also removed the brss colored retention spring piece from the stripper clip before grinding the clip down, then replaced it. It works better if you also grind an opening on the back of the clip like the original has and then slightly bend the "forked" area together.

Once I get a complete working model together I post some pictures.

#28 ·
But a "tok stripper"? I would love to see it.

#34 ·
Finally got my stripper clip work-around with plunger done! :cheers: See attached pictures....

I used .30 carbine stripper clips. The width is almost perfect so not a whole lot needs to be done to make the Steyr 8mm fit and not fall out. I started by removing the stripper guide and the spring brass inserts from the clip. then, on the back side of a clip, at the bottom, I drilled 2 holes about the width of a primer and the length of 1 1/2 primers to form a cut out notch like the real charger clip has. This needs to be done so the "charger" slides easily over the bolt face from the normal locked open position - this also aids in "charger" removal after the ctg are inserted into the magazine well.

On the front side of the clip (were the ctg slide in) I started trimming a little of the metal on each side that is rolled over to hold the ctg in. It doesn't take much so it is cut/grind a little and trial fit. Whween it slides easily into the pistol, time to stop cutting. I then reinsert the brass strip. The clip will hold 10 rounds IF you do not use a pusher.

If you want to use a pusher, additional modification is necessary. The original .30 carbine charge guide is cut off at the shoulder where the clip just meets the magazine. This will give you a perfect fit to combine 2 clips to make it longer. I took another .30 carbine clip, and cut it in half. Put the piece I cut off the .30 carbine charger guide over the 1st clip I modified and slid the 2nd 1/2 clip into meet the 1st clip half way and used JB Weld 2 part to "weld" the 3 pieces together so they would not pull apart when trying to remove the modified charger from the pistol.

The "pusher" gave me more problems than modifying the .30 carbine clips did. After several failed atempts are trying different methods of making a mold I could cast a hard plastic resin into, I hit upon the solution staring me in the face. A ctg fits the charger clip perfectly, just need to make it large enough to be useful. I cut a piece for wood approx. 2" wide and 1 1/8" thick (length not really important but I used 6" long to make it easier for me to work with). I drilled 2 holes side-by-side and touching each other all the way through the 1 1/8" thickness - I drilled 3 sets as long as I was at it to make multiple "pushers" at one time. I used 2 spent cases in each hole and made a short "U" shaped insert that would span both out of .100 steel rod to give the "pusher" extra strength. I capped the bottom of the "mold" so the resinf would not run out the bottom and filled the 3 cavities (2 cases each) to the top and let it harden. De-molded the "pushers" and cleaned them up by removing the excess "plastic" and sanding the sides and nose smooth. The resin I used was AlumiLite AlumiRes RC-3 - I got mine at Hobby Lobby but I think the big name craft stores also carry it.

As you can see from the pictures, my first attempt at useing the cases, the "Pusher" is just barely longer then the case and you can see the bent rod. I tested all 3 by loading my 1907 and all 3 worked fine.

Hope this helps someone who hasn't been able to find an original....

View attachment 2181314 View attachment 2181322 View attachment 2181330 View attachment 2181338 View attachment 2181346 View attachment 2181354

Reactions: 104thEngr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.