Spandau Turkish Short Rifle

Thread: Spandau Turkish Short Rifle

Default Spandau Turkish Short Rifle

Here is a Turkish Short Rifle dated 1940 with a Spandau receiver (you can just barely make out the faint "Spandau" stamping under the date on the top of the receiver) contracted to Belgium's Pieper. I am trying to find more information. The stock was bubba'd, unfortunately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faint Receiver Stamping.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	2030626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Site Close.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	303.2 KB 
ID:	2030634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Action POV.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	2030642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Action Rear Angled View.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	2030650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Action Top Rear View.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	2030658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Barrel.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	2030666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TGT Cavalry Stamp Underside.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	2030674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TGT Star Stamps.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	2030682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TGT Turk Receiver W Flash.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	2030690

Cool beans. I believe beginning in 1938, the Turks converted about 15,000 rifles into the short rifle configuration using Gew.88, Gew.98, 1893 and 1903 rifles. I had one where the Danzig arsenal stamp was partially visible. They are considerably rarer than the Turk long rifles. How does the bore look?

Default Spandau Turkish Short Rifle

These short rifle conversions apparently are pretty rare. Seems the kar98a version shows up most frequently, then the 1903 conversion, with the gew98 conversion you have being the one I see the least.

Here is the 1903 conversion.

There are at least 3 versions of the kar98a conversion. Most are modified with a standard Turkish pistol grip stock to take either the standard German bayonet or the Turkish version. Mine is the 3rd variant-still in imperial trim except for added sling swivels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Yours was originally made in 1917. Pieper Liege and Seimens and Halske receivers were made in 1917. Spandau only produced a few rifles in house during 1917. They can be found with Spandau produced receivers or the two subcontracted firms. They halted production to make MG08-15s. Most Spandau 17' receivers were actually finished by other makers, some were essentially Sterngewehrs. 'H' Spandaus are one common configuration built outside of a factory, you also see Mauser Oberndorf Spandaus. They have the WMO moniker at the top of the receiver. Paul S. (SimsonSuhl) is an expert on these; and is an authority on the Gew 98. He has written extensively about them on the K98kforum; they are extremely interesting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by fergus View Post
    Cool beans. I believe beginning in 1938, the Turks converted about 15,000 rifles into the short rifle configuration using Gew.88, Gew.98, 1893 and 1903 rifles. I had one where the Danzig arsenal stamp was partially visible. They are considerably rarer than the Turk long rifles. How does the bore look?
    Man I would love to know the full story behind this rifle. The bore is all right; the lands and grooves are excellent, but the rest of the bore appears what I would describe as dusty appearing. Still haven't shot her yet, can't wait to do so.

Thanks for the info! I've tried hard to find all the information I can on these, and it hasn't been easy.

Too bad about the stock.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone