Question on punch marks on Remington Mosin Nagant receiver.

Thread: Question on punch marks on Remington Mosin Nagant receiver.

Default Question on punch marks on Remington Mosin Nagant receiver.

Yesterday I picked up a 1918 Remington MN, non matching, but in very nice condition. I noted that it has five prick punches on the receiver and I cannot locate info on these. First time I've seen this. Any idea what the purpose is? Thanks in advance.

More pictures added 3-11-17
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remington Mosin Nagant 001.JPG   Remington Mosin Nagant 014.JPG   Remington Mosin Nagant 024.JPG   Remington Mosin Nagant 002.JPG   Remington Mosin Nagant 016.JPG   Remington Mosin Nagant 009.JPG  

Last edited by moosedog; 03-11-2017 at 04:08 PM.

I can rule out Rockwell or Brinell testing just in case someone suggests it.

Never seen it on a Mosin, but a lot of countries used similar marks every time a rifle went into an armorer/arsenal fot repair or maintenance.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Could possibly be a SCW (Spanish Civil War) Mosin trait. : http://scwmosin.weebly.com/the-five-punch-mark.html
    Lotema

-- Below are my favorites from the safe... The others are near and dear to me but these ones are a little more special.
    1905 - M91 - Sestroryetsk
    1916 - M91 - Tula "Peter the Great"
    1917 - M91 - Remington
    1942 - M91 - VKT "B" Barrel
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Looks like Spanish Civil War

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They're not alignment marks, that's for sure.

In the 1950's collectors used odd markings on their firearms to establish ownership if they were stolen. Some courts did not feel serial numbers were reliable or the owners were negligent in recording serial numbers. FWIW.

I agree. Looks and placement lean toward the Spanish Civil War theory. You folks are great. I really wish this rifle could talk. I will try and get some more photos up on this post this week end.
    Last edited by moosedog; 03-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Does this have USSR marked on it anywhere? Practically all SCW rifles have it on the receiver.

Jaws2 I disagree that practically all SCW rifles have that on the receiver. The USSR or abv of this makes it pretty much SCW but many many rifles were not marked that way as well. My point of view, which is not the final word. In the same way not all Finn rifles are marked SA or have the D mark on the chambers of the barrel. Most do but it is not that rare that they don't. I think you have to take the whole rifle into consideration as not all were so marked. My thoughts anyway. Regards, John.

added later: Jaws2, sorry if I misunderstood your statement on the USSR stamp. I read it that they mostly had it, you may have been saying "where" the stamp would be if they had it? I reread your post and see I may have read it wrong, if so sorry.

1918 Remington M91 #11002
    Last edited by Handsome Devil; 03-12-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    Jaws2 I disagree that practically all SCW rifles have that on the receiver. The USSR or abv of this makes it pretty much SCW but many many rifles were not marked that way as well. My point of view, which is not the final word. In the same way not all Finn rifles are marked SA or have the D mark on the chambers of the barrel. Most do but it is not that rare that they don't. I think you have to take the whole rifle into consideration as not all were so marked. My thoughts anyway. Regards, John.

1918 Remington M91 #11002
    USSR marks are often missing with many other marks assuring you that it is SCW connected! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!