Anonymous M91???

Thread: Anonymous M91???

Default Anonymous M91???

I ran into this one this week, and never having seen anything like it before, I jumped on it. I would be interested in any feedback, opinions, facts, etc you all have.

Some basics:

It is counterbored. Bore looks pretty good.

The trigger feels great.

Bolt functions very smoothly. Does not match the barrel number and has multiple numbers on it, marked out, and a number on the bolt handle that does not match.

Stock is one piece, no cracks. Pine cone on the butt stock.

Receiver is Izhevsk 1910.

I added the sling to it. It did not come with it.

Two Finnish SA marks on the left of the barrel and apparent Finnish edits to the rear sight.

I am very curious what those small marks on the lower left of the butt plate are. They look like little claw marks. I think one of the markings on the bottom of the barrel is the same.

Other than that, what do you all think and what can you tell me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by N8theSk8; 03-10-2017 at 04:53 PM.

It's a scrubbed Bulgarian m91 based on the pine cone stamp.
    Please add information about your SCW Mosin-Nagant here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...agant-Database

Quote Originally Posted by mat!_SW View Post
    My gut feeling is along these lines. Curious why they wouldn't have scrubbed the receiver as well, unless the Finns paired the barrel and receiver up later.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Well the receiver was in Austrian hands at one point. Those marks on the buttplate are probably made being banged into the ground when being stored, part of a drill routine, or when some finnish tropper used it to knock snow off his boots. Barrel was probably ysnked off another gun and mated to that receiver. Cool finnish mixmaster.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by mat!_SW View Post
    What pinecone stamp and why would it be Bulgarian? I know some books claim that, but "pinecones" have been observed on other guns.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Wow, been a while since I've seen that one. I wonder how many hands it has passed through...since I owned it.

It's a relined Finnish M91 that someone put in a Balkan stock set at some point. This was one of my early collecting purchases, not knowing any better. Sad to say it's not as exciting as you may have hoped, but at least you know...
    Currently In Search Of: Rare/Interesting/Oddball Finnish (or Finn'd Russian) M/91s and M/91-24s.

In Honor and Memory of a Loving and Devoted Wife

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me.

Quote Originally Posted by LottaMosins View Post
    Wow, been a while since I've seen that one. I wonder how many hands it has passed through...since I owned it.

It's a relined Finnish M91 that someone put in a Balkan stock set at some point. This was one of my early collecting purchases, not knowing any better. Sad to say it's not as exciting as you may have hoped, but at least you know...
    Well for me it is pretty exciting and I am glad to give it a good home! The relined aspect is especially interesting to me. I couldn't figure out if it was or wasn't and leaned toward it wasn't. For my education how can I definitively tell? I thought I could see a hint of the liner at the crown possibly but wasn't sure. And had convinced myself I was dreaming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What pinecone stamp and why would it be Bulgarian? I know some books claim that, but "pinecones" have been observed on other guns.

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Even if this rifle did come from Bulgaria (they sold 40,000 obr. 1891 to Finnland in the 30-s, all worn out, broken or otherwise unserviceable) it has been heavily refinished/refurbished by the Finns - how do you link the pinecone to Bulgaria? The mark was obviously placed during one of these refurbishments, I fail to see its connection to Bulgaria, I see just the opposite.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-10-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Nice looking rifle N8theSk8 with a great looking example of the pine cone.....very crisp and clean. The marks on the butt plate are kind of random groups of 3 or 4 dents and I wonder if there formed from the teeth of a metal grate or something. Who knows....this rifle and its parts have a lot of history. Denny

Quote Originally Posted by LottaMosins View Post

I'm with Lotta on this - if he owned it and says it is relined, I trust him. The serial is in the right range - somehow it missed the P series stamp. A balkan stock doesn't mean it wasn't put on here to replace Bubba work for instance. I've bought Bubba stocked guns and have replaced them. It is likely completely unrelated.

I don't care if it's Bulgarian or not, it's a darn nice M91! I just don't know why some people want to poo poo Bulgarian M91's. It's all a part of history and they are as 'correct ' historicity as any other. Sure, give me an all original matching Russian M91 over these, but a Finn mix-max hodgepodge, which I have several of, is highly thought of but the Bulgarian gets a shrug of the shoulders. I have an 1896 Bulgarian mixer that outshoots every Finn I own, and I have several Finns. You've got a very nice piece of history there, congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What pinecone stamp and why would it be Bulgarian? I know some books claim that, but "pinecones have been observed on other guns.
    i originally viewed this on my phone and did not see the [SA] stamps on the barrel. I jumped to a quick conclusion. My bad. I think Lottamosins has a better handle on this.
    Please add information about your SCW Mosin-Nagant here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...agant-Database