Gunboards Forums banner

SOG Bulgarian Makarov

5K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  ibmikey 
#1 ·
#6 ·
You are correct and I should have made my point more clear. They seem to be extracting "1 of the 2" matching magazines. I assume the 1 they will include will be matching as most of the other recent batch were. Sold elsewhere recently for $299 with 2 matching mags and accessories. Mags seem to be going for $25 and up these days !

#7 ·
I recently got two of the SOG "appears unissued" Bulgi Maks. The magazines do not match, but the pistols appear unissued. One does have to clean out the cosmoline, but I would have cleaned it anyway. $299.00 for each. Of course, had to pay $32 for the transfer fee at FFL. Plus shipping fee from SOG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
My SOG came with one mag, numbered - but doesn't match the pistol.

Beautiful pistol. Safety, hammer and extractor are a deep red. One very small nick on slide. To be expected since these came from a crate that has sat in a Slovenian salt mine for over 20 years.

Took a lot of doin' to get the extractor channel and firing pin area clean.

#14 ·
I've been using a Bersa Firestorm for CC, but I thought I'd get something a little more reliable. The safety lever sheared in half last time I was at the range and the metal almost looks like sand. I think it's a cast piece but it was still rather disconcerting. That and I have a failure to feed about every 50 rounds or so.

Everything I've read about the Makarov sounds like it could go to hell and back and still work. Kinda like my mosins ;)

#15 ·
Bersa safety levers are injection molded from some sort of steel reinforced resin (plastic and metal filings). My impression is that if you have a bad lever it doesn't last long, and if it's a good one it will last. I've had good luck with my Bersas, sorry to hear about your bad experience.

You will love the Mak, I have 6 now and the Bersas just sit.

#22 ·
I'd avoid the handpick on these from SOG. I paid the extra $10 and was not happy with
what I received. Didn't want to send it back and deal with the hassle. The slide had
one nick on the left side and on the opposite side, there is a 1" long scratch on the
very bottom edge of the slide. I don't care about the nick, but that scratch pissed me
off. It goes to show their handpick process on some items is shit and a waste of money.

#26 ·
I'm curious what SOG [Southern Ohio Guns] is charging for the shipping (ball park).
(Their site won't let you know the shipping amount until after you press the buy button...,
and 3% for credit-card usage... It does say "(Expect $15 minimum...)" for shipping", but that's is all I could tell.
)

#28 ·
I received my mak and it was shipped in a ziploc bag wrapped in white paper and nothing else. Also they charged $45 for s&h to ship to the other side of Ohio! (Kinda peeved about that)

The pistol itself is in good condition, but there is a large loss of blueing around the rear sight along with a couple tiny scratches. The bakelight grip is beat to hell. Also, I did pay the extra $10 for handpick. Probably not going to order from SOG again...

#29 ·
I had a great experience with SOG a few months ago. I paid for hand select and got a "appears new, unissued" example. Liked it so much that I bought another one. I also had a great experience from J&G on a Romanian Tokarev. I know that it is unsettling to buy sight unseen, but I always pay for hand select. There is no other option to get a better specimen, unless you bid on GunBroker (where bids go to the atmosphere on nice looking/matching guns).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
My SOG is brand spanking new. The mag appears new as well.

i almost went Classic, but those weren't advertised as unissued. They may be CAI stamped as well.

Hoping someone gets a Sarco version. They do take phone orders.

And as for ordering from SOG, I made mine a phone order. I also kept calling til I got a young, pretty voice. Reason? I bet on the order fulfillment guy having an eye for the attractive gal in the front office. Just a guess that the positive association would put him in a good mood when grabbing my pistol, and would reach for a "pretty one" as well. Goofy, I know. But I got a gorgeous pistol.

#35 ·
My SOG is brand spanking new. The mag appears new as well.

i almost went Classic, but those weren't advertised as unissued. They may be CAI stamped as well.

Hoping someone gets a Sarco version. They do take phone orders.

And as for ordering from SOG, I made mine a phone order. I also kept calling til I got a young, pretty voice. Reason? I bet on the order fulfillment guy having an eye for the attractive gal in the front office. Just a guess that the positive association would put him in a good mood when grabbing my pistol, and would reach for a "pretty one" as well. Goofy, I know. But I got a gorgeous pistol.[/QUOTe

Always had good luck with SOG, and they have a longer "inspection" period

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.