1941 Izhevsk m38 Finnish SA marked

Thread: 1941 Izhevsk m38 Finnish SA marked

Default 1941 Izhevsk m38 Finnish SA marked

Sorry for the lack of pics but what would and original matching, bolt, floor plate, butt plate but with a sanded stock, 1941 Izhevsk Finnish SA marked m38 with really nice metal but with a light freckling of rust from poor storage be worth. I have a good chance of purchasing it. Stock has screw in escutcheons and someone put wood putty in the indentations just behind the rear band. If I remember correctly I believe there is a T in an oval on the left rear butt stock but all other markings are gone. Also no import mark.
    Thanks,
    Jim

About tree fiddy

Quote Originally Posted by CaliCasey View Post
    About tree fiddy
    Tops.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

My opinion on these matters has never wavered. Personally I can take no joy from a piece that suffers a major defect such as a sanded or refinished stock. No mater how inexpensive I simply don't wish to own such a compromised gun.

I don't stake out this position just to bolster my admittedly contrarian world view it's just what works for me. I am undoubtedly in the minority. Most would buy the piece in question as a "place holder" until something better comes along. Others might buy it in hopes of find a suitable replacement stock. I don't believe in place holders or part swapping.

My advice: save your funds for something that will make you happy. If the rifle you describe will make you happy then ignore my advice and strike the best deal you can. My guess is that a matching Finn stamped M38 with a butchered stock would likely sell in the $300-$400 range. Same rifle with a good stock: at least twice that.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

That was about what I was thinking. This one may be heading towards bubba's work bench again and I have a soft spot for saving them. I about cried when I pulled it out of the gun sock and saw the stock and the matching numbers. Told the guy the stock cut the value in half at least.

I'm with Richard on this one. If I were to buy something like that, it would always be a "so close yet so far" that I wouldn't be able to really enjoy owning.

Market value estimates in its present condition given above sound about right to me.

I wouldn't even do tree fiddy, maybe $260 tops...
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

That is just painful to hear about! Good for you for saving it! Pictures when you get it.

I would give the Loch Ness Monster tree fiddy before I would pay dat.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

I might throw another $50 at it over a regular m38, whatever those go for these days. But I'd have to see it in person to decide. If it almost makes one cry, probably $50 less...
    Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it...

"The politics of failure have failed!" -Kang

I valued my 1939 SA bubba'd m38 at around 400. It had polished metal, a modified front sight, and the stock was cut but I put it in a prewar m38 stock but refurbed. I tried to sell it after I got an original matching 1939 sa m38 in a first pattern stock. It sat for a while with zero interest in it. Finally someone traded me a Tula 91/59 for it. No numbers matched, metal was messed up, and stock was wrong, but I did get something worth 400 dollars in exchange and that one having original matching numbers and intact metal so I would say worth over 400. If you gunbrokered it I would guess over 400 at least. I do have a soft spot for rescuing bubba'd guns and there are others that do as well.