Gunboards Forums banner

SVD Tiger Dragunov

67K views 137 replies 41 participants last post by  Grantman 
#1 · (Edited)
Whats the market price of a fully militarized Tiger Dragunov with all Russian parts but with two Russian 10 round mags like one in photo? How rare are they to find with military stocks and flashiders?

#3 ·
It's called a "Cal-Drag" as they were imported only into California. (I think 700 were imported)..I paid $3200 for mine with with 4 mags and wood and synthetic stocks, but lately they go for around $3000 or so; depending on how many are bidding and how badly they want it...:)

#4 ·
it depends.. if it is a militarized commercial drag, meaning someone took a pablum rifle and added a flash suppresor, furniture etc then 1800 to 2500. if it is a calfornia armory marked import rifle, depending on condition and completness , $2500-$4500.

#5 ·
$1800 - $2500 for a fully militarized Tiger with Russian military stock and Russian 10 Round mag thats a good price, anybody selling one for that good price let them know I am interested!
How accurate is the Tiger with its 20 inch barrel, is it less accurate than the NMD 86 or a military Russian SVD? Does the non adjustable gas system of the Tiger SVD hamper any capabilities or performance in comparison to a standard SVD?

#6 ·
Non-adjustable gas system is a relative disadvantage when field conditions are rough and / or fouling is present. I have no idea regarding comparative accuracy, but I think it's worth mentioning that the Soviet arms industries often reduced the quality and capabilities of weapons produced for export -- and yes I'm saying they did this with gear going to their proxies and allies. They had a term for those dumbed-down versions -- the "monkey" version. Just something to consider. It's hard to say just how deeply they would have cut into the capabilities of the Tigr.

#10 ·
It could be a more common Tiger imported by Bwest or some other company, some non-Cal. Tigers did come with military stocks, so before you google, wait till you see import markings on receiver. And even Cal. Tigers came with flashiders not installed on them, but just packed separately in the same box with the Tiger.

#11 ·
Century also imported Tigers.

My experience has been that adding the bells and whistles do not actually increase the value of a Tiger equal to the cost investment.

Davis

#19 ·
But a CA Armory Tiger is a different animal, at least in markings, than a Tiger dressed up. Since markings are what drive these things more than anything else, as markings indicate rarity, it makes sense.

Davis

#21 ·
Sorry people, I don't get it..... Why even bother trying to "de-Tigering" a Tigr. It will not be an SVD anyway..... And for the cost of "militarized" tiger which is nothing more than a hunting carbine with few bells and whistles, one can get an NDM (and sometime save some money ;) That is if one wants to deal with Chinese weapons.....

#23 · (Edited)
A Tiger is NOT just a hunting carbine they and their parts are manufactured at the same factory alongside real Russian Izevsk Dragunovs except they use shorter barrels same length as Dragunov SVDS an airborne infantry variant and have different markings but Tigers are real SVD Dragunovs just civilianized military Dragunovs which can be converted back to their military configuration. Here is a picture of a Russian Military SVDS which has the same barrel length as the SVD Tiger
Hate to burst anyones bubble but an NMD 86 is a Chinese Clone of a SVD Dragunov and not an SVD Dragunov. Russian made SVD Dragunov are better quality and more accurate than the Chinese Clones.
Sorry people, I don't get it..... Why even bother trying to "de-Tigering" a Tigr. It will not be an SVD anyway..... And for the cost of "militarized" tiger which is nothing more than a hunting carbine with few bells and whistles, one can get an NDM (and sometime save some money ;) That is if one wants to deal with Chinese weapons.....

#22 ·
I Paid 2K for my regular Tiger that was already Blown out with every accessory , Extra Stock sets, Mags, Bayonet, Books, parts, etc.....This was probably 3+ years ago.....that was kind of high then , but now bone stock tigers can go for 2K......

I remember seeing these for $699, still have the add somewhere.....i dont think they were great sellers back then.

Here is mine, second from the Top...........Not a Real CA Tiger, but im happy with it.

#24 ·
The Tiger may be a Dragunov, but it is not an SVD, regardless of what it bolted on, any more than a Remington 700 is an M24. It just isn't.

Davis

#25 · (Edited)
Do you know what SVD means, it translates into Semiauto Rifle Dragunov-Semiautomaticheskaya Vintovka Dragunova. Evgeny Dragunov is the designer of the SVD and its operting system! SVD Tiger uses exactly the same mechanizm as the military issue SVD so Tiger is a Dragunov espesially the Cal model with never had the sporter stock or sights! An NMD 86 on the other hand is a Chinese Clone:D
The Tiger may be a Dragunov, but it is not an SVD, regardless of what it bolted on, any more than a Remington 700 is an M24. It just isn't.

Davis

#28 · (Edited)
Okay, so RS is right. The Tiger is an SVD, the SVD is a Tiger, and there is no difference in the world between them. Silly me, here I thought SVD was the designation given to the rifle fielded by the Soviet, then later the Russian, army and Tiger was the designation given to the hunting carbine. But, since RS is looking for an SVD Tiger, what is the military rifle? An SVD SVD?

Davis

#29 ·
As far as I know, Tigr does not have an adjustable gas system. Yes, it is manufactured on the same factory and the same equipment as the military SVD, but so are many other weapons, including shotguns and sporting rifles. Tigr is a self-loading hunting carbine that basically uses the same mechanism as the Dragunov minus few important features. I think that it was discussed in detailes on this forum before....
As for the NDM - yes, this is exactly my point with Chinese weapons (add Chinese cars (ever seen one ? ;) - go to China ;) and few other pieces of Chinese equipment - they are nothing more that a copycats. It seems that they are good at copying things, but it's still a copy, not a real one..... I also have problem with their technological "shortcuts", but this is another story....
Oh, not to open a can of worms, but what is really "closer" to real military true and honest Russian SVD? Tigr or NDM ;)

#30 ·
Tiger isnt just a sporting carbine, SVD tiger is built of the same parts as a military Russian Dragunov, the barrel is shorter but its the same barrel as used on the SVDS airborne troop variant of the SVD. In case of the Cal Dragunov it uses all military parts that are same as on military SVD except some parts were picked out of SVD production line to build tiger variant. SVD Tiger dosent have an adjustable gas system and has different markings on the receiver thats all the difference from a military Dragunov. But all parts are
As far as I know, Tigr does not have an adjustable gas system. Yes, it is manufactured on the same factory and the same equipment as the military SVD, but so are many other weapons, including shotguns and sporting rifles. Tigr is a self-loading hunting carbine that basically uses the same mechanism as the Dragunov minus few important features. I think that it was discussed in detailes on this forum before....
As for the NDM - yes, this is exactly my point with Chinese weapons (add Chinese cars (ever seen one ? ;) - go to China ;) and few other pieces of Chinese equipment - they are nothing more that a copycats. It seems that they are good at copying things, but it's still a copy, not a real one..... I also have problem with their technological "shortcuts", but this is another story....
Oh, not to open a can of worms, but what is really "closer" to real military true and honest Russian SVD? Tigr or NDM ;)

#32 ·
Chinese copy or not, the NDMs are very accurate, especially the 308s, and very nicely made. I have had sub 0.5 MOA groups from my 308(two shooters on the same day did it) and my 54r does near MOA most of the time. Get us some real Izhevsk Drags in the county and we will buy them(hopefully with a choice of laminated wood or synthetic furniture). Otherwise, get an NDM or a Tiger and be happy.

#33 ·
My first NDM-86 was in .308 and I have to agree with you-they are accurate-VERY accurate. My .308 NDM with Gold medal Match would shoot a three shot .40 inch group at 100 yards. It would even outshoot my Mauser 66SP. Amazing accuracy for a semi-auto.

#37 ·
I could have picked one up at the Shriners Gun Show in Mobile, AL back in June from a dealer for $1,800.

Davis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.