SVD Tiger Dragunov
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SVD Tiger Dragunov

Default SVD Tiger Dragunov

Whats the market price of a fully militarized Tiger Dragunov with all Russian parts but with two Russian 10 round mags like one in photo? How rare are they to find with military stocks and flashiders?
    Last edited by Russian Spetznaz; 10-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.

$1,800-$2,400 in my area.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...
    Steel Ambition Now and Amazon Best Seller!

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Ambition...steel+ambition
    Mosins, Nagants, Mausers, Monster Alien Robot, what's not to like?

Now The Visitor is out!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011YLLQCE

Lightbulb

It's called a "Cal-Drag" as they were imported only into California. (I think 700 were imported)..I paid $3200 for mine with with 4 mags and wood and synthetic stocks, but lately they go for around $3000 or so; depending on how many are bidding and how badly they want it...
    "I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader!" Ghandi

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

it depends.. if it is a militarized commercial drag, meaning someone took a pablum rifle and added a flash suppresor, furniture etc then 1800 to 2500. if it is a calfornia armory marked import rifle, depending on condition and completness , $2500-$4500.

$1800 - $2500 for a fully militarized Tiger with Russian military stock and Russian 10 Round mag thats a good price, anybody selling one for that good price let them know I am interested!
    How accurate is the Tiger with its 20 inch barrel, is it less accurate than the NMD 86 or a military Russian SVD? Does the non adjustable gas system of the Tiger SVD hamper any capabilities or performance in comparison to a standard SVD?

Non-adjustable gas system is a relative disadvantage when field conditions are rough and / or fouling is present. I have no idea regarding comparative accuracy, but I think it's worth mentioning that the Soviet arms industries often reduced the quality and capabilities of weapons produced for export -- and yes I'm saying they did this with gear going to their proxies and allies. They had a term for those dumbed-down versions -- the "monkey" version. Just something to consider. It's hard to say just how deeply they would have cut into the capabilities of the Tigr.

PS - And yes, I do realize that strictly speaking it was the post-Soviet federation that exported the Tigr. But in a practical sense there is still precious little real difference there.

I wonder what company imported this Tiger carbine?

A quick google and this came up...imported by California Armory in the military configuration (plastic slotted handguards, skeleton stock, military flashhider)

It could be a more common Tiger imported by Bwest or some other company, some non-Cal. Tigers did come with military stocks, so before you google, wait till you see import markings on receiver. And even Cal. Tigers came with flashiders not installed on them, but just packed separately in the same box with the Tiger.

Century also imported Tigers.

My experience has been that adding the bells and whistles do not actually increase the value of a Tiger equal to the cost investment.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Spetznaz View Post
    $1800 - $2500 for a fully militarized Tiger with Russian military stock and Russian 10 Round mag thats a good price, anybody selling one for that good price let them know I am interested!
    How accurate is the Tiger with its 20 inch barrel, is it less accurate than the NMD 86 or a military Russian SVD? Does the non adjustable gas system of the Tiger SVD hamper any capabilities or performance in comparison to a standard SVD?
    much less accurate
    Last edited by mjmd; 10-28-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Century also imported Tigers.

My experience has been that adding the bells and whistles do not actually increase the value of a Tiger equal to the cost investment.

Davis
    agreed ..you do not get your investment back but that is more a function of the ridiculous prices charged here for $40 stock and handguard sets, $5 clips and $20 flash suppressors.
    Last edited by mjmd; 10-28-2008 at 07:24 AM.

isnt it more like $500 stock sets, $200 mag and $500 flash suppresors for the SVD?

That's the point. The parts are insanely priced. Should be a $40 stock set, etc, etc, etc.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

Question

Has anyone noticed he has the old front sight for sale as well as the rifle?...
    "I must hurry, for there they go, and I am their leader!" Ghandi

not to hijack, but does anyone know where i can find that carrying case and the mag pouch. those would look good with my ndm-86.

also looking for a bipod if anyone has any leads.

There's one for sale here: http://www.dragunov.net/rifles_for_sale.html Top listing.

The days of CA Armory Tigers being $2500 are over.

But a CA Armory Tiger is a different animal, at least in markings, than a Tiger dressed up. Since markings are what drive these things more than anything else, as markings indicate rarity, it makes sense.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

I just completed de-TIGRing (or reSVDing) a B-West imported Tiger. OK, it's not as accurate as either of my NDM-86' in 7.62X54R. Having said that, what my reSVDed TIGR lacks in accuracy, it makes up in handiness. And, I feel a whole lot less guilty about dragging the TIGR out in the desert than I do the NDM-86'. As far as the lack of gas regulation I don't see what all the fuss is about. Jeez-just how much is anybody going to shoot an SVD or TIGR to worry about it? None of us are firing at human wave attacks from mud filled trenches. It appears to me that the TIGR gas system is like the high setting on the SVD.
    "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine!":eek:

Sorry people, I don't get it..... Why even bother trying to "de-Tigering" a Tigr. It will not be an SVD anyway..... And for the cost of "militarized" tiger which is nothing more than a hunting carbine with few bells and whistles, one can get an NDM (and sometime save some money That is if one wants to deal with Chinese weapons.....

I Paid 2K for my regular Tiger that was already Blown out with every accessory , Extra Stock sets, Mags, Bayonet, Books, parts, etc.....This was probably 3+ years ago.....that was kind of high then , but now bone stock tigers can go for 2K......

I remember seeing these for $699, still have the add somewhere.....i dont think they were great sellers back then.

Here is mine, second from the Top...........Not a Real CA Tiger, but im happy with it.

A Tiger is NOT just a hunting carbine they and their parts are manufactured at the same factory alongside real Russian Izevsk Dragunovs except they use shorter barrels same length as Dragunov SVDS an airborne infantry variant and have different markings but Tigers are real SVD Dragunovs just civilianized military Dragunovs which can be converted back to their military configuration. Here is a picture of a Russian Military SVDS which has the same barrel length as the SVD Tiger
    Hate to burst anyones bubble but an NMD 86 is a Chinese Clone of a SVD Dragunov and not an SVD Dragunov. Russian made SVD Dragunov are better quality and more accurate than the Chinese Clones.
    Quote Originally Posted by aeo View Post
    Sorry people, I don't get it..... Why even bother trying to "de-Tigering" a Tigr. It will not be an SVD anyway..... And for the cost of "militarized" tiger which is nothing more than a hunting carbine with few bells and whistles, one can get an NDM (and sometime save some money That is if one wants to deal with Chinese weapons.....
    Last edited by Russian Spetznaz; 10-31-2008 at 09:23 PM.

The Tiger may be a Dragunov, but it is not an SVD, regardless of what it bolted on, any more than a Remington 700 is an M24. It just isn't.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

Do you know what SVD means, it translates into Semiauto Rifle Dragunov-Semiautomaticheskaya Vintovka Dragunova. Evgeny Dragunov is the designer of the SVD and its operting system! SVD Tiger uses exactly the same mechanizm as the military issue SVD so Tiger is a Dragunov espesially the Cal model with never had the sporter stock or sights! An NMD 86 on the other hand is a Chinese Clone:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    The Tiger may be a Dragunov, but it is not an SVD, regardless of what it bolted on, any more than a Remington 700 is an M24. It just isn't.

Davis
    Last edited by Russian Spetznaz; 10-31-2008 at 09:42 PM.

RS, did you by any chance buy a Tiger, and are now vigorously defending your purchase as a "real" SVD?

Didnt buy a SVD Tiger yet

Okay, so RS is right. The Tiger is an SVD, the SVD is a Tiger, and there is no difference in the world between them. Silly me, here I thought SVD was the designation given to the rifle fielded by the Soviet, then later the Russian, army and Tiger was the designation given to the hunting carbine. But, since RS is looking for an SVD Tiger, what is the military rifle? An SVD SVD?

Davis
    Last edited by Davis; 11-01-2008 at 08:26 AM.
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

As far as I know, Tigr does not have an adjustable gas system. Yes, it is manufactured on the same factory and the same equipment as the military SVD, but so are many other weapons, including shotguns and sporting rifles. Tigr is a self-loading hunting carbine that basically uses the same mechanism as the Dragunov minus few important features. I think that it was discussed in detailes on this forum before....
    As for the NDM - yes, this is exactly my point with Chinese weapons (add Chinese cars (ever seen one ? - go to China and few other pieces of Chinese equipment - they are nothing more that a copycats. It seems that they are good at copying things, but it's still a copy, not a real one..... I also have problem with their technological "shortcuts", but this is another story....
    Oh, not to open a can of worms, but what is really "closer" to real military true and honest Russian SVD? Tigr or NDM

Tiger isnt just a sporting carbine, SVD tiger is built of the same parts as a military Russian Dragunov, the barrel is shorter but its the same barrel as used on the SVDS airborne troop variant of the SVD. In case of the Cal Dragunov it uses all military parts that are same as on military SVD except some parts were picked out of SVD production line to build tiger variant. SVD Tiger dosent have an adjustable gas system and has different markings on the receiver thats all the difference from a military Dragunov. But all parts are
    As far as I know, Tigr does not have an adjustable gas system. Yes, it is manufactured on the same factory and the same equipment as the military SVD, but so are many other weapons, including shotguns and sporting rifles. Tigr is a self-loading hunting carbine that basically uses the same mechanism as the Dragunov minus few important features. I think that it was discussed in detailes on this forum before....
    As for the NDM - yes, this is exactly my point with Chinese weapons (add Chinese cars (ever seen one ? - go to China and few other pieces of Chinese equipment - they are nothing more that a copycats. It seems that they are good at copying things, but it's still a copy, not a real one..... I also have problem with their technological "shortcuts", but this is another story....
    Oh, not to open a can of worms, but what is really "closer" to real military true and honest Russian SVD? Tigr or NDM

Not true. "Why even bother trying to "de-Tigering" a Tigr?" Well, I wanted a flash suppressor and a better fitting stock. And a stock TIGR is butt ugly. I don't know what yardstick your are using to measure the cost of de-Tigering a TIGR but my rifle was much cheaper than either of my NDM-86's. Have you priced 7.62X54R NDM-86 SVD's lately?

Chinese copy or not, the NDMs are very accurate, especially the 308s, and very nicely made. I have had sub 0.5 MOA groups from my 308(two shooters on the same day did it) and my 54r does near MOA most of the time. Get us some real Izhevsk Drags in the county and we will buy them(hopefully with a choice of laminated wood or synthetic furniture). Otherwise, get an NDM or a Tiger and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    Chinese copy or not, the NDMs are very accurate, especially the 308s, and very nicely made. I have had sub 0.5 MOA groups from my 308(two shooters on the same day did it) and my 54r does near MOA most of the time. Get us some real Izhevsk Drags in the county and we will buy them(hopefully with a choice of laminated wood or synthetic furniture). Otherwise, get an NDM or a Tiger and be happy.
    My first NDM-86 was in .308 and I have to agree with you-they are accurate-VERY accurate. My .308 NDM with Gold medal Match would shoot a three shot .40 inch group at 100 yards. It would even outshoot my Mauser 66SP. Amazing accuracy for a semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy View Post
    Have you priced 7.62X54R NDM-86 SVD's lately?
    just paid $3000 delivered with 1k rds of ammo for mine.

previous owner says he fired 4 rds through it, but cant see any evidence of that.

anyone know where i can find a dragunov bipod?

kf4, Nice score and good price. You did very well.

Quote Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
    just paid $3000 delivered with 1k rds of ammo for mine.

previous owner says he fired 4 rds through it, but cant see any evidence of that.

anyone know where i can find a dragunov bipod?
    You totally lucked out-every one I've seen in the last year sold for waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that.

I could have picked one up at the Shriners Gun Show in Mobile, AL back in June from a dealer for $1,800.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

I really duoubt that a Chinese NMD 86 in .308 is more accurate than a militarized SVD Tiger. If you shoot gold match ammo out of the NMD 86 and normal ammo out of 7.62 54R SVD Tiger then its not a fair comparison. If you shoot 7.64 54R match grade ammo or the best new sniper ammo out of the Tiger then it will be just as accurate or slightly even more accurate.
    And in general wow:eek: Dragunovs are so accurate I have seen groups of 3 shots go in the same hole at 100 yards from a SVD Tigers
    Is $3020 for a Mint California model SVD with a matching scope 2 10 round magazines,sling and soft case a good price? For one like this?
    Last edited by Russian Spetznaz; 11-03-2008 at 05:08 PM.

The reports are the the NDM-86 is indeed more accurate. It seems that the NDM-86 in 308 is the most accurate, then the SVD and NDM-86 in 762x54r (this may be debatable with 7n1, but that is what is reported) with the Tigers coming in a very clear third.

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

Finished my "CA Tiger wannabe" some time ago and pricing went something like this:

-rifle 1200€
    -mil-spec PSO-1 190€
    -Soviet era 10rd mag 60€
    -Soviet laminated buttstock & handguards 300€
    -flash suppressor w/ bayonet lug 100€
    -AK sling 1.70€
    ---------------------------------------------
    Total 1851.70€

As the real ones are going for 2500-3500€ this one wasn't a true bargain. But it shoots about 1 MOA and therefore in combat situation I wouldn't be relieved to know that my opponent is armed with a Tiger instead of a real piece. Of course the pronounced muzzle flash would give away him fast. :cool:

Last edited by CH; 01-10-2010 at 01:28 PM.

As far as I know, Tigr does not have an adjustable gas system.
    Depends, at least these new ones have.

Of course, for the Americans here, it doesn't matter what comes on the new ones...

Davis
    Ruthless Russians...

Now The Visitor is out!

I really duoubt that a Chinese NMD 86 in .308 is more accurate than a militarized SVD Tiger. If you shoot gold match ammo out of the NMD 86 and normal ammo out of 7.62 54R SVD Tiger then its not a fair comparison. If you shoot 7.64 54R match grade ammo or the best new sniper ammo out of the Tiger then it will be just as accurate or slightly even more accurate.
    And in general wow:eek: Dragunovs are so accurate I have seen groups of 3 shots go in the same hole at 100 yards from a SVD Tigers
    Is $3020 for a Mint California model SVD with a matching scope 2 10 round magazines,sling and soft case a good price? For one like this?
    My militarized SVD Tiger with 7N1 (a highly over rated round in my opinion) is like a claymore with a trigger compared to the NDM-86 in .308 I used to have. It doesn't shoot as well as either of my NDM's in 7.62X54R. None of my 7.62X54R SVD/NDM's can shoot groups like their 7.62 NATO NDM counterpart. Just a fact.
    Last edited by anarchy; 11-04-2008 at 12:16 AM.

SVD is overrated, just look it that pencil barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakentt View Post
    SVD is overrated, just look it that pencil barrel.
    Don't know about that-my 14+ pound Mauser 66SP IDF 7.62 NATO issued sniper rifle with a nice fat barrel couldn't out shoot a .308 NDM-86 with it's runway model thin barrel. :cool:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast