#180 Weekend Quiz 4U, 19 August 1942 DIEPPE RAID - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: #180 Weekend Quiz 4U, 19 August 1942 DIEPPE RAID

Cannot open the attachments.
    KH
    please help me with my Polish, Hungarian and Romanian MN-datasheet, click here:
    http://www.gunboards.com/form.asp

Quote Originally Posted by kh View Post
    Cannot open the attachments.
    Pretty much normal around here lately.
    Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum.
    (To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.)

-M. Tullius Cicero

Hint 1: Begin the search where Molotov stayed in England.
    KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I can find no reference to the name of Molotov's maid.
    (To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.)

-M. Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by tplan View Post
    I can find no reference to the name of Molotov's maid.
    Tplan

maid is very good and you can be sure that there is a reference. There even is a photo of here. She is standing directly behind Molotov.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Crew Pe-8.jpg

KH

Yep, she's the one I saw getting off the train. So were there two women, or one? Churchill says two, and that looks like another woman next to her in the photo.

-M. Tullius Cicero

For a reason I could, but cannot tell you in the moment I am sure that there was only one maid with Molotov.
    KH

M.A. Shtepenko?

-M. Tullius Cicero

M.A. Shtepenko?

There was only one Shtepenko during the flight, Major Aleksandr Shtepenko, one navigator.
    KH

Hint 2: You now know what she was, but you will not find her name in England.
    KH

No clue where to look?
    KH

I had already been through all the combinations I could think of when I came up with the last guess, in English, Russian, and even German.

-M. Tullius Cicero

I had already been through all the combinations I could think of when I came up with the last guess, in English, Russian, and even German.
    Ask, where did Molotov go from GB?
    KH

Hint 4: When you know where Molotov went from UK look for a diary.
    KH

no ideas?
    KH

OK, you can find her in the White House diaries, "Roosevelt Day by Day", the Ushers Diary for instance, as Molotov was a guest of the White House. You can look for her, but from tomorrow I will start the article.
    KH

Her name was Maria Isimbalova-
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 1

Much has been written about this raid. Many authors just repeated the propaganda phrases or the reports of Combined Operations of 1942, others wrote excellent books and articles. This quiz is an article, but quite near to a book with 276 pages, but one focus is on the pictures, more than 6000.

The next focus is on the men, who participated on both sides. It is interesting that there are hundreds of photos showing the allied side, their leaders and officers, but very few of the Germans of Dieppe, though normally there are more photos of the winner of a battle. Each and every small step of each and every allied unit with nearly each and every person involved, officer or other rank, became discussed in literature, while German reports and propaganda after the battle just showed the allied victims plus destroyed tanks and boats, German high ranking persons visiting the town and presenting themselves as the winners, but except the official military ones there are no reports about the actions of the German commander and officers directly in Dieppe or the German soldiers, who fought in the buildings of the town or at the beachfront.

The third focus is on the backgrounds of the raid, the ambitions, ruthlessness and unscrupulousness of some leaders and the pressure from many sides leading to the mostly political reasons to start this operation. Therefore you will read many side- and backgroundstories and remarks.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 2

Operation Jubilee, 19 August 1942

A disaster began with a friendly formulated order: "Please carry out an attack against a French port with so many troops that the enemy is compelled to respond as if it is an invasion." This order was given by Winston Churchill in spring 1942 to Lord Louis Mountbatten, the Commander of Staff of Combined Operations.

01. Background

In 1942 Germany operated deep in the Soviet Union and the United States and the Soviet Union, as well as public opinion in the UK, were urging the British government to relieve the Eastern Front and the pressure on the Soviet Union to discourage further German expansion in the East by opening a second front in north-west Europe. On 19 August 1942 a raid was launched by Allied forces on the German-occupied French port of Dieppe. Initially British and Canadian politicians and newspapers celebrated this raid to have been a great success.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid cartoon 0.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	2121242

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid cartoon 1.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2121250Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid cartoon 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	2121258Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid cartoon 3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	2121266

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 6.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	2121314Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 5.jpg
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	2121306Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	2121298Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	2121290Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	2121282Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	2121274Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid newspaper 7.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	2121322

The raid on Dieppe made the headlines everywhere. The newspapers unanimously hailed a costly, yet necessary victory. The official story was a virtual reproduction of the reports released by Combined Operations Headquarters. Within a few days, the story of Dieppe appeared set in stone. With the tragedy barely over, all the key elements, as well as the justifications still emphasized by many today grabbed the headlines.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 3

Like the other dailies, Le Devoir included Canadian Press released announcing that Canadian troops had managed to land on all the selected spots and took the beach by storm after sustaining a particularly violent resistance on their left flank while they landed tanks at the centre and the right flank quickly reached its objective.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid p Georges Pelletier.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2121330
    In an editorial, Georges Pelletier moderated such enthusiasm by pointing out that the raid was nothing more than test like so many operations before.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid q newspaper 10a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2121338Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid q newspaper 10b.jpg
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	2121346Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid q newspaper 10c.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	2121354
    As for La Presse and Sunday Pictorial of 6 September 1942, it was concluded that Dieppe was a complete success, comparing the landing to the raid against St. Nazaire when the Germans had been caught by surprise and sustained very heavy casualties. Edmond Turcotte, Le Canadas Editor-In-Chief, insisted the raid was a precursor to a greater invasion of continental Europe: a dress rehearsal for the day when British forces throw aside Nazi fortifications.
    KH

I'm glad it is now time to learn. I have trouble with the quizzes but always enjoy the pictorial history. This is looking very interesting already and I'm looking forward to more.

Neal

Thank you, Neal, you will not be disappointed!
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 4

The German propagandist Lord Haw Haw of the English-language propaganda radio programme Germany Calling commented on the Dieppe raid: Too large to be a symbol, too small to be a success.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 0 cartoon 1.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	2124050
    BTW: Lord Haw Haw was not a single person.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 1 Wolf Mittler 1.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2124058
    First there was Wolf Mittler, a German journalist who spoke near-flawless English,

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 3 Norman Baillie-Stewart .jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	2124066
    for a short time in 1939 Norman Baillie-Stewart, a former officer of the Seaforth Highlanders,

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 5 William Brooke Joyce 1.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2124082Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 5 William Brooke Joyce 2.jpg
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	2124090
    and especially William Brooke Joyce for the most time of the war, his voice, with that of Churchill, Hitler

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 5 Thomas Reginald Tommy Handley 1.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2124074
    and the comedian Thomas Reginald "Tommy" Handley, quickly becoming the best known on radio.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid r Lord Haw Haw 11 Cyril Carr Dalmaine 2.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2124098
    The name Lord Haw-Haw (of Zeesen) was coined in 1939 by the pseudonymous Daily Express radio critic Jonah Barrington (real name Cyril Carr Dalmaine). It referred to the affected upper-class English accent: He speaks English of the haw-haw, damn-it-get-out-of-my-way variety, and his strong suit is gentlemanly indignation. The name re
    ferred initially to Wolf Mittler (or possibly Norman Baillie-Stewart). When Joyce became the best-known propaganda broadcaster, the nickname was transferred to him.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid t Vichy 3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	2124114Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid t Vichy 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	2124106
    Press in Germany, Vichy France

Name:	01.00. 1 dieppe raid u swiss cartoon 4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2124122
    and especially in neutral countries saw the raid a little different.

A closer reading of the historical record makes clear that the Dieppe Raid was less a learning experience on how to conduct amphibious assaults than a template for how to spin a debacle, to protect the reputations of powerful military and political figures and today generally the raid is ranked as one of the most disastrous failures of the war.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 5

In Great Britain and in the USA, which had entered the war in December 1941 only, political and military leaders were divided with respect to the possibilities and the merits of a second front. A number of British and American army commanders voted for an early second front,

Name:	01.00. 2 a Army Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall  June 1942..jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2124130
    including the American chief of staff, General George Catlett Marshall, Jr., who from 4 April to 17 April 1942 even led a delegation to London to argue for an invasion in France in 1942.

Name:	01.00. 2 b Hopkins departing for Britain, January 1941.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2124138
    He came together with Harry Lloyd Hopkins, Roosevelt's chief diplomatic adviser and troubleshooter and unofficial emissary to

Name:	01.00. 2 c Winston Churchill outside 10 Downing Street, 21 November 1941.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2124146
    British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. They suggested eliminating Operation Gymnast (later Operation Super-Gymnast and finally Operation Torch) into Libya nd instead favored a landing of six British divisions in either Brest or Cherbourg in early autumn 1942 (Operation Sledgehammer).

Name:	01.00. 2 e Major-General Dwight David Eisenhower.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2124154
    Major-General Dwight David Eisenhower had the same opinion and wanted to land troops in France as soon as possible. Marshall and Eisenhower enjoyed the support of

Name:	01.00. 2 f Franklin Dekano Roosevelt 1942.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2124162
    President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, at least initially. He had promised Churchill that the United States would give priority to the war against Germany, and would settle accounts with Japan later. This decision became known as the Germany (or Europe) First principle. According to the 29 March 1941 report of the secret ABC-1 conference (American, British and Canadian Conference) from 29 January to 27 March 1941 (the U.S. were not yet at war with either Germany or Japan, but the basic planning agreement for the U.S. to enter the war was set here), the Americans, Canadians and British had agreed that their strategic objectives were:

(1) "The early defeat of Germany as the predominant member of the Axis with the principal military effort of the United States being exerted in the Atlantic and European area;" and

(2) A strategic defensive in the Far East."
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 6

01.00.01. Isolationists

The "Germany First" war strategy was not announced to the American people for a number of reasons. One compelling reason for secrecy was the fact that the United States was not yet at war with Germany. There would also have been major political risks for Roosevelt in disclosing the proposed war strategy. Announcing it would have been an admission that America's army in the Philippines would be abandoned to its fate in the event of a Japanese attack, and it would have attracted the fury of the powerful isolationist and peace lobbies,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 1 America First Committee 1.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2124170Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 1 America First Committee 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2124178
    like America First. The America First Committee (AFC)

Name:	01.00. 2 h 2 Major General (ret) Robert Elkington Wood1.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2124186
    was led by Quartermaster General of the United States Army in World War I Major General (ret) Robert Elkington Wood. It had up to 800,000 dues-paying members and the sympathies of many political figures,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 3 Senator Burton Kendall Wheeler 1.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2124194Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 4 Senator David Ignatius Walsh  1.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2124202
    including Democratic Senators Burton Kendall Wheeler of Montana and David Ignatius Walsh of Massachusetts,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 5 Senator Gerald Prentice Nye 1.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2124210
    Republican Senator Gerald Prentice Nye of North Dakota

Name:	01.00. 2 h 6 Socialist Party leader Norman Mattoon Thomas 1.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2124218
    and Socialist Party leader Norman Mattoon Thomas.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 7 Aviator Charles A. Lindbergh 1.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2124226
    Its most prominent spokesman was the aviator Charles Augustus Lindbergh, jr..

Name:	01.00. 2 h 8 novelist and Nobel Prize winner Harry Sinclair Lewis 1.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2124234
    Among many other celebrities supporting America First were novelist and Nobel Prize winner Harry Sinclair Lewis,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 9a socialite Alice Lee Roosevelt Longworth father President Theodore Roosevelt 1.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	2124242Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 9b socialite Alice Lee Roosevelt Longworth 1.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2124250
    Washington socialite (and oldest child of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt) Alice Lee Roosevelt Longworth

Name:	01.00. 2 h 10 film producer Walt Disney 1.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2124258
    and fi
    lm producer Walter Elias Walt Disney.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 7

01.00.02. Interventionists

Name:	01.00. 2 h 19 Fight for Freedom 1.jpg
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	2127378
    Churchill knew all this. He supported the opposite side, the Fight for Freedom Committee

Name:	01.00. 2 h 19 Fight for Freedom Bishop Henry Wise Hobson II 1.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2127386
    (FFF, Chairman Bishop Henry Wise Hobson II,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 19 Wendell Lewis Willkie.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2127394Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 19 Wendell Willkie speaking in England, January 1941.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2127402
    using Wendell Lewis Willkie,the 1940 Republican candidate for president, as one of their most effective speakers if not the leading interventionist spokesman in America) and

Name:	01.00. 2 h 20 Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies 1.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	2127410
    the Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies (CDAAA), often called the White Committee after its first chairman,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 20 William Allen White 1.jpg
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2127418
    Pulizer Prize winner William Allen White, which became the leading interventionist mass pressure group until the outbreak of war in December 1941. In fact the CDAAA was the mouth of Franklin Roosevelt, as White reported: I never did anything the President didn't ask for, and I always conferred with him on our program."

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 a Clark Mell Eichelberger 1.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2127426
    Co-founder and later chairman of the CDAAA was Clark Mell Eichelberger, Director of the League of Nations Association
    and promoter of international cooperation. Clark Eichelberger experienced massive influence and support from the British, including financial aid. For instance he was invited to visit the U. K. in late summer of 1941. His travel expenses were covered by the British government

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 a Clark Mell Eichelberger 2 American Embassy.jpg
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	2127434
    and the American Embassy in London arranged for him to stay

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 a Clark Mell Eichelberger 2 Savoy Hotel London.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	2127442
    in a first class room at the Savoy Hotel in London. On 12 September 1941 Winston Churchill had a luncheon meeting with him.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 8

Other prominent members of the CDAAA were

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 b Adlai Ewing Stevenson 1.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2127450
    Adlai Ewing Stevenson (later Governor of Illinois),

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 c John Joseph „Black Jack“ Pershing 1.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	2127458
    General of the Armies of the United States John
    Joseph Black Jack Pershing,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 c Senator Claude Pepper 1.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2127466
    Senator Claude Denson Pepper of Florida and

Name:	01.00. 2 h 21 d Philip Ives Dunne 1.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2127474
    the vice-president of the Writers Guild of America Philip Ives Dunne.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 9

01.00.03. British Security Coordination

The interventionists gained secret but significant support from the British government, which established the so-called British Security Coordination (BSC), a covert organization,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 25 1 Rockefeller Center.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	2127482
    set up in May 1940 in the Rockefeller Center in Manhattan, New York City, by the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or MI6,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 25 Stewart Menzies and his wife Pamela.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2127490Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 25 Stewart Menzies, head of MI6, 1.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2127498
    headed by Major General Sir Stewart Graham Menzies, code-named C),

Name:	01.00. 2 h 26 Sir William Samuel Stephenson 1.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2127506
    and in New York headed by Sir William Samuel Couston Stephenson, a Canadian soldier, airman, businessperson, inventor, master spy and friend of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

This organization, which also headquartered British intelligence operations for the Western Hemisphere, had the approval of President Roosevelt

Name:	01.00. 2 h 27 John Edgar Hoover 1.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2127514
    and some assistance from FBI Chief John Edgar Hoover in discrediting leaders of the isolationist America First Committee such a
    s Charles Lindbergh. 1941 the BSC was a huge secret agency of nationwide news manipulation and black propaganda. Pro-British and anti-German stories were planted in American newspapers and broadcast on American radio stations,

Name:	01.00. 2 h 28 campaign of harassment and denigration 3.jpg
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	2127538Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 28 campaign of harassment and denigration 2.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2127530Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 28 campaign of harassment and denigration 1.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	2127522
    and simultaneously a campaign of harassment and denigration was set in motion against those organisations perceived to be pro-German or virulently isolationist. Leading isolationists were monitored, targeted and harassed.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 29 Gerald Nye speaks 2.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2127554Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 29 Gerald Nye speaks 1.jpg
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	2127546
    When Gerald Nye spoke in Boston in September 1941, thousands of handbills were handed out attacking him as an appeaser and Nazi lover.

Name:	01.00. 2 h 30 Hamilton Fish III 1.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	2127562
    Following a speech by Congressman Hamilton Fish III (born Hamilton Stuyvesant Fish and also known as Hamilton Fish, Jr.), a member of a group set-up by the BSC, the FFF delivered him a card which said, "Der Fuhrer thanks you for your loyalty" and photographs were taken.

With a little help from the British the American people had mad their decision, but it seems they were still not willing to admit it. A Gallup Poll of 31 January 1941 had the result that 79% of the Americans were opposed to Lindberghs suggestion that England should negotiate a peace, but the poll of 2 February stated that 85% were opposed to entering the war. 7 April the poll stated that 67% voted for helping England even at the risk of becoming involved in the war, but 21 April 1941 79% were opposed to sending any troops to the European Theatre. 22 November 1941 the Gallup question was: It has been suggested that Congress pass a resolution declaring that a state of war exists between the United States and Germany. Would you favor or oppose such a resolution at this time? The result still was: favor 26%, oppose 63% and no opinion 11%.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 10

01.00.04. Roosevelt and Lord Halifax

The US public opinion was a problem for Churchill, as from the beginning of the war he knew that until the United States joined the war winning could not be a realistic aspiration. That is one big reason why Churchill wooed, flattered, charmed and strong-armed the United States, especially President Roosevelt. Few lovers expended as much ink and thought as Churchill did in his long personal letters to President Franklin Roosevelt, two, sometimes three times a week (across the years the total number of messages would grow to 1,949).

Name:	01.00. 3 0 1 Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	2129986
    Churchill was quite successful, which can be seen by the example of the reception of the new British Ambassador to the USA, Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax.

Churchill had promoted the former Secretary of Foreign Affairs to Ambassador. Halifax had been the last member of the Cliveden Set in the Churchill War Ministry and the last man linked with appeasement,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 2 b Arthur Neville Chamberlain.jpg
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	2129994Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 2 b Arthur Neville Chamberlains War Cabinet, standing 1st Sea Lord Churchill, seated .jpg
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	2130002
    as Arthur Neville Chamberlain had died,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 2 c  Samuel John Gurney Hoare, 1. Viscount Templewood .jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	2130010
    and both Samuel John Gurney Hoare and

Name:	01.00. 3 0 2 e John Allsebrook Simon, 1. Viscount Simon.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2130018
    John Allsebrook Simon had been shelved already.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 11

Name:	01.00. 3 0 3 HMS Napier Mrs Churchill, Lady Halifax and Lord Halifax boarding 1.jpg
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	2130026Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 3 HMS Napier Mrs Churchill, Lady Halifax and Lord Halifax boarding 2.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	2130034
    On 15 January 1941 Churchill and his wife Clementine brought Lord and Lady Halifax on board of

Name:	01.00. 3 0 4 HMS Napier 1.jpg
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	2130050Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 4 HMAS Napier Badge.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2130042Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 4 HMS Napier Stephen Harry Tolson Arliss 1.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	2130058
    the destroyer HMS (shortly later HMAS) Napier (G97, C/O Captain Stephen Harry Tolson Arliss, RN)

Name:	01.00. 3 0 5 a 1 24 January 1941 HMS King George V seen in Chesapeake Bay with Lord Halifax emba.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	2130066Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 5 a 1 HMS King George V Badge.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2130074Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 5 a 2 HMS King George V Capt. Wilfrid Rupert Patterson, RN left.jpg
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	2130082Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 6 a 3 HMS King George V 15 January 1941 Churchill talks with Harry Hopkins, Lord Hali.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	2130090
    to the battleship HMS King George V (41, C/O
    Capt. Wilfrid Rupert Patterson, RN).
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 12

Name:	01.00. 3 0 6 a 3 HMS King George V Churchill and Admiral John C Tovey at luncheon on board 1.jpg
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	2130098Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 6 a 3 HMS King George V Churchill and Admiral John C Tovey at luncheon on board.jpg
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	2130106Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 6 a 3 HMS King George V Lord Halifax, Harry Hopkins and Captain W R Patterson at lunc.jpg
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	2130114
    There a luncheon was held with the Churchills, Lord and Lady Halifax, Harry Hopkins, the Captain and the C.i.C. Admiral John Cronyn Tovey, 1. Baron Tovey,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 4 HMS King George V Lord Halifax saying goodbye to Churchill on board HMS KING GE.jpg
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	2130122Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 4 HMS Napier both Churchills greet Lord Halifax goodbye.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	2130130
    before the Churchills said farewell and the ship left Scapa Flow for the United States

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 5 Lord and Lady Halifax on the quarterdeck HMS King George V.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2130138Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 5 Lord and Lady Halifax with officers under the guns HMS King George V.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2130146
    (the transport of Lord Halifax and staff to the USA was codenamed Operation Parcel. Unofficial sources estimated that one way of the trip had cost $21,360 only for fuel).
    KH

Great stuff KH. I am enjoying the history lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by travisgreyfox View Post
    Great stuff KH. I am enjoying the history lesson.
    Many thanks, travisgreyfox, here comes some more.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 13

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 7 oath third inauguration.jpg
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	2132578
    On 24 January 1941, four days after his third inauguration (20 January),

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 7 Chicago Daily Tribune Reception Halifax.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2132570
    departing from tradition President Roosevelt made a special trip and risked ice-covered roads from Washington

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 7 Annapolis Naval Academy 1931.jpg
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	2132554Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a 7 Annapolis Naval Academy Roosevelt and Rear Admiral Wilson Brown.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	2132562
    to the United States Naval Academy Annapolis (C/O
    Superintendent Rear Admiral Wilson Brown, Jr.) to welcome the new British Ambassador personally.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a USS Potomac 3.jpg
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	2132586Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a USS Potomac 1940.jpg
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	2132594Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 a USS Potomac.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2132602
    He boarded the Presidential Yacht Potomac (AG-25, C/OLCdr. George Aloysius Leahey, Jr.) and sailed out six miles to meet the battleship as it was slowly moving up the fog shrouded Chesapeake Bay,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 b USS Lansdale 1940.jpg
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	2132618Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 b USS Lansdale 1943.jpg
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	2132626Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 7 b USS Lansdale LCDR John DeL. (Jack) Connor.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2132634
    escorted by the US destroyer USS Lansdale (DD-426, C/O
    LCdr. John DeL. (Jack) Connor).
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 14

Name:	01.00. 3 0 8 a 27 JANUARY 1941 Lord Halifax leaving the ship at Annapolis. Mr and Mrs Butler, Mi.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	2132650Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 8 a 27 JANUARY 1941 Lord Halifax leaving the ship at Annapolis. Mr and Mrs Butler, Mi.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2132642
    Lord Halifax was piped aboard the Potomac in true naval style, and the yacht then headed slowly back to the docks at Annapolis. After a dinner on board, with Roosevelt,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 8 c 27 JANUARY 1941  on board USS Potomac Lord and Lady Halifax with Navy Secretary K.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	2132658
    the secretary of the Navy Frank Knox, the British charg daffairs Nevile Montagu Butler with his wife Oonah Rose McNeile

Name:	01.00. 3 0 8 d Admiral Harold Rainsford Stark 1942.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2132666
    and Admiral Harold Rainsford Stark,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 8 f USS Potomac 27 JANUARY 1941 American Press men crowd quayside at Annapolis as Lor.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	2132674Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 8 f USS Potomac 27 JANUARY 1941 American Press men crowd the quayside at Annapolis as.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2132682
    and disembarking through a crowd of journalists, Lord and Lady Halifax proceeded to Washington together with President Roosevelt in the Presidents car. They were delivered at the door of the British embassy by the Chief Executive on the way to the White House.

25 January 1941 the Chicago Daily Tribune wrote: The Presidents decision to welcome the new ambassador in person was something brand new in the history of Anglo-American relations.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 9 a Union Station 0.jpg
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	2132690Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 9 a Union Station 3.jpg
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	2132698
    When King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited the United States two years ago, it was recalled, Mr. Roosevelt went only as far as the Washington railroad station to meet them History does not contain another instance where a President of the United States went out to meet a representative of another country of lesser diplomatic rank. The belief was also expressed that this was the first time a fully armed British man o war has called at these shores since the war of 1812, when Dolley Madison just succeeded in hiding the Presidential silver plate before the visitors arrived at the White House.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 15

01.00.05. Churchill Flattering

Churchill flattered like never before in the first two years of the war, greeting every American visitor as if his presence did Britain honour.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 9 e Journalist Murrow.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2132706
    For instance the American broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow (born Egbert Roscoe Murrow) was welcomed to his country home Chartwell and often reported on Churchill, especially after the onset of WW2,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 9 f Janet Huntington Brewster Murrow.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2132714
    Murrow`s wife, Janet Huntingdon Brewster-Murrow,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 9 g Clementine Churchill 1942.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2132722
    became a close friend to Clementine Churchill.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 10 a 1 John G. Winant Jr., the American ambassador to Britain.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	2132730Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 10 a Winston Churchill and John G. Winant Jr., the American ambassador to Britain.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2132746
    In February 1941 the new U.S. ambassador to the UK, John Gilbert Winant, an Interventionist,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 10 a John G. Winant Jr., Ambassador Joseph Patrick Kennedy..jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	2132738
    replaced the former Ambassador Joseph Patrick Kennedy, an Isolationist.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 10 b yankee clipper in Lisbon 1.jpg
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	2132754
    Winant came from Washington on board of the Pan American Yankee Clipper to Lisbon and from there with a Royal Dutch airlines aeroplane to London.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Winant ad Duke of Kent 1.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2132762Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Winant ad Duke of Kent 2.jpg
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	2132770
    On Churchills initiative he was met at the plane by Prince George Edward Alexander Edmund, 1st Duke of Kent, and taken by special train to Windsor.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Winant and King George 1.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	2132778Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Winant and King George.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2132786
    There King George VI himself was waiting at the station to drive Winant in the royal car

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Windsor Castle.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2132794
    to Windsor Castle, where he spoke with him at lenght. Never in history had a foreign diplomat been received in UK with such ceremony.
    Last edited by kh; 04-12-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    KH

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Winant and King George 1.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	2132778Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Winant and King George.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2132786
    There King George VI himself was waiting at the station to drive Winant in the royal car

Name:	01.00. 3 0 11 Windsor Castle.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2132794
    to Windsor Castle, where he spoke with him at lenght. Never in history had a foreign diplomat been received in UK with such ceremony.
    That is amazing. The kind of note that makes these quizzes so interesting.

I hope you will find several more interesting notes , Neal!
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 16

When he came to Britain the millionaire and

Name:	01.00. 3 0 12 1941 w averell harriman defense expeditor in london.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	2135594
    U.S. special envoy (with the rank of a minister) William Averell Harriman was enfolded in a similar warm prime ministerial embrace. Harriman arrived by air via Lisbon 15 March 1941 and immediately met Churchill.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 12 1941 w averell harriman in his office london.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2135602
    Within few days after arrival he was ostentatiously flattered with his own office at the Admiralty and he spent almost all his weekends with the Churchill family.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 12 1941 w averell harriman with Churchill 1.jpg
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2135610Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 12 1941 w Averell Harriman with Mary (ne Spencer-Churchill), Baroness Soames; K.jpg
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	2135618
    Churchill invited him to a Cabinet committee meeting and convoyed him like a prize exhibit on his own travels around the country.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 13 Churchill adresses bombing victims in Bristol, behind Churchill is Ambassador Wina.jpg
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	2135626Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 13 Churchill Winant 1.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2135634Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 13 Churchill Winant 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	2135642
    Also very often Winant accompanied Churchill on his travels.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 17

Name:	01.00. 3 0 15 Harriman, Winant, Murrow.jpg
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	2135650
    Harriman, Winant and Murrow had even closer

Name:	01.00. 3 0 16 Pamela Churchill, Randolph Churchill, Sarah Churchill.jpg
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	2135658
    relations to the Churchills.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 17 Winant with Constance Rivington Russell.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2135666
    Winant (married with Constance Rivington Russell) had a secret affair with

Name:	01.00. 3 0 18 Sarah Churchill Victor Oliver 2.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	2135674
    Churchills second daughter Sarah Millicent Hermione Churchill, who then was married with Victor Oliver von Samek.

Harriman had an open affair, possibly even encouraged by Churchill, with the wife of Churchills son

Name:	01.00. 3 0 19 Pamela Churchill Randolph 1.jpg
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	2135682Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 0 19 Pamela Churchill Randolph 2.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2135690
    Randolph Frederick Edward Spencer-Churchill
    , Pamela Beryl Churchill (ne Digby), who later also had an affair with the journalist Edward Murrow,

Name:	01.00. 3 0 20 Harriman and Pamela Churchill marriage.jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2135698
    before as Pamela Digby Churchill Hayward she married Harriman in 1971.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 18

01.00.06. Pearl Harbor

Name:	01.00. 3 1 Chartwell Mansion Kent 1.jpg
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2135706Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 1 Chartwell Mansion Kent 2.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2135714Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 1 Chartwell Mansion, Churchill .jpg
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	2135722Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 1 Chartwell Mansion, Churchill with his son Randolph and daughter Diana.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2135730
    On Sunday, 7 December 1941, Winston Churchill was at his family home Chartwell Mansion in Kent, having dinner with both Harriman and Winant.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 19

They listened to the radio and heard the newsreader announcing that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 1 Pearl Harbor before Japanese attack 0.jpg
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2135738Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 1 Pearl Harbor before Japanese attack 1.jpg
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	2135746Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 1 Pearl Harbor before Japanese attack 2.jpg
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	2135754Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 1 Pearl Harbor before Japanese attack 3.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	2135762

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 2 December 1941 Aerial view of Battleship Row in the opening moments of the Japanes.jpg
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	2135770Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 2 Photo from a captured Japanese aircraft taken during the initial moments of the J.jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	2135778

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 2 USS California (BB-44) sinking at Pearl Harbor.jpg
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	2135786Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 3 Pearl Harbor Japanese attack 1.jpg
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	2135794Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 3 Pearl Harbor Japanese attack Planes and hangars burning at Wheeler Army Air Field.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2135802
    KH

I hope you will find several more interesting notes , Neal!
    You were right. I hope lots of folks get to see this thread. The history is great and I love the photo selection. I'm glad this is a long one; I look forward to seeing it every morning.

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 20

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 8 December 1941 Date of Infamy Speech  Listening are Vice President Henry Wallace, .jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	2138282Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 Roosevelt Speech Date of Infamy, declaration of war (2).jpg
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	2138298Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 8 December 1941 Date of Infamy Speech Listening are Vice President Henry Wallace, l.jpg
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	2138290Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 1 Roosevelt Speech Date of Infamy, declaration of war.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2138306

Name:	01.00. 3 4 2 8 December 1941 draft Date of Infamy Speech draft 1.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	2138314Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 2 8 December 1941 draft Date of Infamy Speech draft 2.jpg
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	2138322Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 4 2 8 December 1941 draft Date of Infamy Speech draft 3.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	2138330
    On 8 December 1941 Franklin Roosevelt addressed a joint session of Congress (and the Nation via radio)and asked for a Declaration of War with Japan. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives approved the war declaration unanimously

Name:	01.00. 3 4 12 Jeannette Rankin listens to lobbying for a unanimous vote for the declaration of w.jpg
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	2138338
    with the exception of just one vote (by Montana pacifist Congresswoman Jeannette Pickering Rankin)

Name:	01.00. 3 5 3 Roosevelt signs declaration of war japan at the White House1.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2138354Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 5 3 Roosevelt signs declaration of war japan at the White House.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2138346Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 3 5 4 Roosevelt after signing declaration of war japan.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2138362
    and that day at 16:00 the President signed the resolution in his office. Great Britain also declared war on Japan on 8 December, following the Japanese landing on the coast of Malaya and the bombing of Singapore and Hong Kong on 8 December 1941.

Name:	01.00. 3 8 Churchill with King George VI and Queen Elisabeth.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2138370
    That night, Ch
    urchill asked King George VI for permission to leave the UK and travel to the United States and got it when he lunched with the King the following day.
    KH

Default Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, Part 21

01.00.07. Churchills Fears

Five days after Pearl Harbor on 12 December 1941 Churchill left London and hastened first to Greenock/Scotland and the following day from there to Washington

Name:	01.00. 4 Arcadia conference 1.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2138386Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 4 Arcadia conference 2.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2138394Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 4 Arcadia-Conference 5 military leaders.jpg
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2138402
    for a Conference codenamed Arcadia (Arcadia or First Washington Conference, 22 December 1941 to 14 January 1942). He was in order to lobby President Roosevelt to fight in Europe and to ensure that the Americans didn't have second thoughts about Germany First, fearing that the impact of Japans attack on Pearl Harbor would be a retreat into an America-comes-first posture. Those concerns had been fueled by a War Department Act that had interrupted the shipment of all war material from American ports, pending a reassessment of the point of allocation.

Name:	01.00. 4 attorney-general Francis Beverley Biddle.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	2138410
    The Senate had rejected a proposal to sell ships and planes to Britain and the attorney-general Francis Beverley Biddle ruled such a sale illegal under the Neutrality Act. Churchill feared this signaled a move to concentrate on the Pacific,

Name:	01.00. 6 a 1 General Douglas MacArthur 1941.jpg
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	2138418Click image for larger version.

Name:	01.00. 6 a 2 General Douglas and Mrs. MacArthur exit the Malinta Tunnel, Corregidor, December, 1.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2138426
    supported by the pleas of General Douglas MacArthur (commander of United States Army Forces in the Far East on Corregidor Island)

Name:	01.00. 6 b Admiral Ernest Joseph King (directly behind Churchill) 1941.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2138434
    and Admiral Ernest Joseph King (from 30 December 1941 Commander-in-Chief United States Fleet), favouring a Japan First strategy together with several influential supporters and commanders,

Name:	01.00. 6 d Admiral Chester William Nimitz 1941.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2138442
    for instance Admiral Chester William Nimitz (from 17 December 1941
    commander-in-chief United States Pacific Fleet). Many U.S. generals were equally resistant to participating in the war and dubious about the British as prospective allies. Some senior officers even reserved their admiration for the Germans.

Churchill knew that Anti-British feeling was rife and there was a strong public opinion in the United States for putting the main effort against Japan; a poll at the time showed Americans were opposed to participation in the European conflict by an overwhelming 13 to one. One correspondent to a newspaper in Philadelphia professed to see no difference between 'the oppressor of the Jews and Czechs' - Germany - and 'the oppressor of the Irish and of India' - the United Kingdom.
    KH

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast