Gander Mt. in Hixon Tn. closes after 3 yrs!

Thread: Gander Mt. in Hixon Tn. closes after 3 yrs!

Default Gander Mt. in Hixon Tn. closes after 3 yrs!

http://www.fox9.com/news/240869900-story Sort of sad but theyre prices have always been the highest on everything!

You right about pricing. Anywhere there is an Academy sports they are getting their clock cleaned. I don't like Dicks, Gander Mountain or Bass Pro.

That being said, I did make my first purchase ever in Gander Mountain yesterday. I have been looking for another M9/92FS. Been looking for 6 months and couldn't find a used or new one in stock anywhere.
    Went in just to kill time and they had a 92FS -599+ tax. Special offer of $50 gift card with purchase. I put it on layaway and they just knocked $50 off the price. Found a $20 customer appreciation coupon on thier site. Wasn't sure they'd honor the second discount but they did.
    Picked it up yesterday $529 + tax.
    Excellent price for a NIB 92FS. Honestly, I probably won't buy nothing else there unless its hard to find something at a great price.

Academy sold me on their customer service years ago and their prices always beat Walmart on anything.
    Freedom is far from free. Thank a U.S. Veteran.

Up till the early 90s all there was in Chatt was Sports Authority then came Dicks then Jumbo Sports (went bankrupt in 96 or so after 1 yr. in town. Dicks never had many guns. Sports Auth. was my favorite till they about 98 or so stopped selling "Black Silhouette" targets etc.. then they quit selling pistols and a couple yrs. later closed down locally.

I always and still do when in Knoxville visit all the big stores, but Academy does seem to have the best prices most of the time, I would be surprised if Gander has any huge sales before Closing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I had an occasion to visit one of the Georgia closing stores ( in Snellville ) about a year ago , Compared to An Academy or Bass Pro The place was small and very very understocked I went on a Sun at about noon and there were only 3 other customers.
    As for our local DICKS it looks more focused on the YOGA , Jogging and Golf people. Lacks the earthy feeling of a Bass or Academy

I was the only person in the one in Round Rock TX the other night...sad.

I make it a point to go in on NRA weekends to renew and get a gift card. Better make sure my gift cards are all used I guess. I bet they have some killer sales, it's cheaper for them to sell at a discounted price than to pay to move inventory to another store.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    I would be surprised if Gander has any huge sales before Closing!
    Has anyone seen the kid standing around in shock? Is he stunned? With all the emails and newspaper ads about the % off sale, I'm betting he is catatonic somewhere.

SlimTim

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
    Has anyone seen the kid standing around in shock? Is he stunned? With all the emails and newspaper ads about the % off sale, I'm betting he is catatonic somewhere.

SlimTim

I know that was meant as a joke but the reality is that of the stores closing, the sales in the fliers and advertisements don't apply! The Gander Mtn. in Snellville is also closing. They have signs there stating that the store closing sales only apply and they will not honor any GM sales or flier specials.

I went there today and bought some 30-40 Krag for less than $40 a box but that was only 10% off. Bought it for the brass mostly. Reloading equipment is currently 30% off and it looked to me that it was picked over as far as bullets and powder were available. If anyone needs something let me know and I will find out if they still have any. Looked like they still had brass if you were looking for 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .45 Colt, .223, 30.06, .300 Blackout.

Craig.
    Der Krieg findet immer einen Ausweg.

Been in one of the va. Stores friend took me." ....jacked up prices never caused me to stop.

Craig, I was talking about the Chattanooga specific store sales. Reloading is presently 30% off here as well,

SlimTim

SlimTim
    What Sale? They have 10% off all firearms and that is the minimum they are higher than other stores and sometimes they are 15% higher, so if u sell stuff for about what others sell it for then where is the sale?????????????????

What Sale? They have 10% off all firearms and that is the minimum they are higher than other stores and sometimes they are 15% higher, so if u sell stuff for about what others sell it for then where is the sale?????????????????
    I was stunned to find 30-40 Krag anywhere! But still a ripoff at the price I paid but no one was offering anything else available. There will probably be a final reduction before they finally close the doors but the question becomes when, and will there be anything left worth buying that I would want or need.

They recently had 15% off ammo, scopes and firearms at the Knoxville Gander Mtn, didnt seem to bring many people though, store is empty whenever I go there. They are above msrp on many things so 15% off put them at normal prices.. There is an Acadamy close by that started selling ARs again and they have pretty decent prices. Plus 20 miles down the road they have a Buds and Smokey Mountain Knife works that sells at decent prices and have a good ammo selection.

Gander Mountain was doing well here when panic buying was at its height, not sure how long they will survive now that there is a lot more competition. Plus there are plenty of small gun stores around that will cut some good deals.

Have you been inside their doors? Or are you just going on your "superior reasoning"?

SlimTim

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Local Gander Mountain here in Mobile, AL which has only been open for about 2 years is closing as well. As others have stated their prices are high and the same items can be found at the Academy store only a mile down the road for less.
    Asked the guy behind the gun counter why are they closing and his response was that even though they are a profit making store, they are one of the smallest stores and lease their location. The company is in bankruptcy and is closing a majority of the smaller non-property owned locations.

The day they first opened they were loaded with Mosins, Swiss K31's and Yugoslavian Mausers, not much in surplus after that except for some Tokarev pistols. That's what I was after the other day when I was in there, but unfortunately there were none in the cases.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

They just put up the 'everything must go' signs in the Knoxville, TN store so I assume it will be closing.

The entire chain is closing, all retail locations.

SlimTim

The entire chain is closing, all retail locations.

SlimTim
    In a story in the Chicago Tribune the owner of Camping World, the chain that bought out GM is planning on keeping about 70-75 stores open. But it also mentions that a separate investor group had bought the GM inventory to liquidate it. Supposedly this other group has control of the GM website until May 18th and that is why it states all the stores are closing. I guess that means May 18th is the last day for store closing deals? Who knows?

See to those who forget ACADEMY went BKRupt was purchased by ROMMEY holding company and cam back I think this isnt the case here to much Comp Isnt Cabelas in talks with Bass Pro shop ?

Bass Pro bought Cabelas. With regard to GM, the Camping world bought the store leases out of bankruptcy. No one is really certain what the new GM will look like. The other outfit has the current store inventory and rights to liquidate it.

SlimTim

Yes I always wondered about the Bass Pro and the cabelas deal Last time I was up 75 after you passed Cabelas there was a big sign about a new Bass pro being built on the northbound side Guess thats squashed

Guess again!

ST

Two years ago Both Cabelas and Bass pro said they were coming to town. Yesterday Marked the 2nd year anniversary for Cabelas being opened. Bass Pro didn't open their doors until the later part of last year.