Finish on a C96 Broomhandle

Thread: Finish on a C96 Broomhandle

Default Finish on a C96 Broomhandle

I am looking to purchase this C96 but I do not know what to make of the finish in terms of its originality -- see pictures below. Looks a bit flaky and mottled to me. Does it look original to you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2571 (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	318.6 KB 
ID:	2033050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2570 (1).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	2033058

I'd guess it's a reblue, just from the wear on the grips. With grips that worn, I wouldn't expect any finish at all. OTOH, if the gun spent it's life in a holster/stock, and the only thing exposed was the grip, I guess it's possible. What do the grip straps look like?

Yes, good point about the grip wear. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the strap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I am by no means a Broomhandle expert. However over many (too many!) decades, I've certainly seen my share. Nice original finish on a 96 Mauser almost puts it in the museum quality category. Typically, these guns have all seen a lot of service as well as storage in far less than ideal conditions; such now cumulatively in excess of a century. There certainly may be some that were purchased commercially and remained in private hands, evading the ravages of time. But seldom seen and nowadays, such quality refinishes possible that even they'd likely be suspect. Now circumstances that the definite burden is on anyone asserting an original finish on one of these guns. A need to offer up some substantial supporting proof. The fact of blue observable within pitted surfaces surely to refute any assertions of originality. Grips of course subject to change, yet as noted, highly suspicious!
    Just my take

Postscript: Note my bit similar C96 Thread which I just updated.

Even with an example in hand with good lighting it is sometimes difficult to tell if a finish is original or not. IMHO it is not possible to accurately judge a finish from 2 pictures. While I see wear and some freckling, I do not see indications of buffing which would be a clear indication of re-finishing. Now chemical touch ups is a possibility, I would need to see it in hand under good light to spot it.

Regards,
    Aim small, mis small.
    B. Mason

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    With grips that worn, I wouldn't expect any finish at all.
    +1

Here is another one from the Great War (Austrian Wn-15). Minimal grip wear, but finish mostly gone:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Austrian C96 Wn-15 - 32.jpg   Austrian C96 Wn-15 - 22.jpg   Austrian C96 Wn-15 - 12.jpg  
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Appreciate everybody's input - the finish just did not look original to me. Is it still worth $1,500, given the finish and matching numbers?

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

No, it looks like a refinished Chinese gun to me.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Here are two more pictures

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	2036986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170204_140401.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	2036994

One last time. I do not see anything that indicates it was refinished. The price is fair from what I can see. I do have a few to go by.

Regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0127[1].jpg  
    Last edited by 1914mauser; 03-12-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add picture
    Aim small, mis small.
    B. Mason

Looks original in natural light. - mine for example

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog33 View Post

Hard to tell from pics but I lean toward original. Possible arsenal redo of highest quality not out of question either, Whats the finish on the inside of frame and under rear sight like? Many red 9s were hastily make and finished. The finish is actually a tell on these. If grips # match the rest $1500 may be an outstanding price. If grips match the Chinese connection might be about impossible. MAuser changed finish all thru production with the 1932 SF being some of their best IMHO. FWIW grips seem to take much of the abuse being softer, more exposed and handled and affected by rust and rust pressure. I could tell you horror stories about grip condition while sorting box fulls.

If it helps. I have sold 2 Chinese guns that were refurbished, nicely. For $1500 each,

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

As previously stated, the gun shows no evidence of a buff. Still, pics are not showing well the parts which should be fire blued or still in the white.

The condition difference between the left and right grip is stark. Looks like the right grip doesn't belong.

Still, a 9mm in good condition for $1,500 is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog33 View Post

The pictures in this post have me thinking the finish is original, especially the brownish patina in the indoor photo.

Groundhog,

I since by this post and the same post on Still's forum that you are uncertain of this purchase. It is apparent that your unfamiliarity with the C96, Red-9 and its wartime finish has you questioning what you are being offered. Let me assure you that if you post the source of this offering someone who as seen either of your post, and wants a Red-9, will snap it up before you make up your mind. If you want a Red-9 and you let this one get past you it may be some time, if ever that you will find another as good for the same price. These and the M30 models are some of the most popular and most sought variations even though some others are much rarer. Getting into a decent C-96 for less than $1500 does not happen very often these days. Asking a forum is not the best way to learn when a purchase is right. If you are still uncertain pass on this one and do some homework so next time a deal comes your way you'll know. Also continue to save your money because the next one that comes your way may cost you several hundred more and that will be the price you pay for this lesson.

Regards,
    Aim small, mis small.
    B. Mason

I really appreciate everybody's input - I took the plunge and bought it (1914mauser helped me make up my mind ) Will post better pictures once I get it in my hands.

Good deal 👍 Red 9s dont grow on trees😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk