(Unissued?) Model 1893 Mauser made by FN

Thread: (Unissued?) Model 1893 Mauser made by FN

Default (Unissued?) Model 1893 Mauser made by FN

I saw this a few days ago at auction. Rifle looks to be in really good condition from the pics. But, the pics and description are too vague to determine what it is. I'd imagine it would might be impossible to tell exactly what it is from the pics. From what I've read, it's a Model 1893 made by FN Herstal. Could be made for a number of countries though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 51440309_1_x.jpg   51440309_2_x.jpg   51440309_3_x.jpg   51440309_4_x.jpg   51440309_5_x.jpg  
    Last edited by willyj73; 03-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Mosin Fanboy

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

This looks like Uruguayan. Not Brazilian because it lacks the crest and siderail markings. Spanish and Uruguayan originally had a different stock cartouche. Spanish had the follower replaced with one that stops the bolt from closing on an empty magazine. Spanish also had the sight slider replaced with one of Spanish design. Then there are those few brought back from Afghanistan but they had fake dates added to the receiver ring.

My Brazilian is made by Loewe but the FN rifles were part of that same contract; the crest and Brazilian top line of the siderail marking were the same as on the Loewe rifles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spanish FN1893 long rifle 1.JPG   Spanish FN1893 long rifle 3.JPG   Spanish FN1893 long rifle 4.JPG   Spanish FN1893 long rifle 8.JPG   Uruguayan M1895 FN1893 Long Rifle 1.JPG   Uruguayan M1895 FN1893 Long Rifle 3.JPG  

Uruguayan M1895 FN1893 Long Rifle 4.JPG   Uruguayan M1895 FN1893 Long Rifle 7.JPG   Brazilian M1894 1.JPG   Brazilian M1894 3.JPG   Brazilian M1894 4.JPG  
    Last edited by geladen; 03-11-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Thanks Geladen. I found a little information online, but not much. I suppose one would have to see the crest on the stock to verify if it is Uruguayan.
    Mosin Fanboy

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I also have Both an FN 1894 Brazilian Long Rifle ( found in New Zealand, ex CIA) and a M1893? FN Cavalry Carbine ( no sling swivels or bayonet Bar), the rifle is fair condition, the Carbine in Good to VG.( no Crest)

I wonder how much of M1893 FN Production was authorised by Loewe, and how much was "under the table" and led to the Court cases between Loewe ( and DWM later) which led to FN being 100% owned by DWM, by 1899?

Doc AV

Down Under.

Quote Originally Posted by willyj73 View Post
    Thanks Geladen. I found a little information online, but not much. I suppose one would have to see the crest on the stock to verify if it is Uruguayan.
    The fact that it lacks a Spanish slight slider points to it being Uruguayan. Also, if you had the rifle, you could check the follower.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Salesman's sample?
    befus

Quote Originally Posted by befus View Post
    Salesman's sample?
    Maybe, but s/n seems a bit high for that.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

This is so cool. I've been fooling with old military rifles since the 70's, but feel absolutely stupid, now. I've got books, but didn't know that FN made 1893 rifles. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by DocAV View Post
    I also have Both an FN 1894 Brazilian Long Rifle ( found in New Zealand, ex CIA) and a M1893? FN Cavalry Carbine ( no sling swivels or bayonet Bar), the rifle is fair condition, the Carbine in Good to VG.( no Crest)

I wonder how much of M1893 FN Production was authorised by Loewe, and how much was "under the table" and led to the Court cases between Loewe ( and DWM later) which led to FN being 100% owned by DWM, by 1899?

Doc AV

Down Under.
    Loewe authorized FN to assist with the Brazilian contract. The Spanish and Uruguayan contracts came before Loewe took control of FN. The fight seems to have started when FN wanted the entire Chilean contract. FN got to Chile before Loewe - and Loewe said 'no way'. Loewe supplied FN with the drawings and tooling to make the M1893. FN did not reverse engineer the M1893 and modify their M1889 tooling.

Loewe supplied FN intentionally to manufacture the M1893 for the purpose of assisting with the Brazilian contract - but Loewe wanted to control the Mauser cartel. I suspect they wanted to hold FN in reserve for possibly assisting with future contracts. After making a quantity of M1893 for Brazil, Spain, Uruguay, and China (and Afghanistan?), FN assumed they could compete with Loewe for contracts. Loewe said 'Sure, you can compete using the M1889 because that is the only model you are authorized on paper to make'. The court agreed and, long story short, Loewe took over control of FN in February 1896.

After the completion of the Uruguayan contract, FN made no further M1893 until after WWI. Then FN tried to re-enter the South American market with the M1893 but soon had to develop the FN1922 and FN1924. They kept the intermediate receiver length of the M1893 and did not change to the long (standard M98) receiver length until the FN1930.

Some of this I knew, some I guessed, and some came from Anthony's new book FN Mauser Rifles.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

i've got 2 of these FN-made M1894 long rifles:
    - one with a Brazil stock cartouche (the usual 'RB' on left butt side), serial #2859 - so very similar to the rifle shown by the OP. Unfortunately, no stock serial visible any more on mine.
    - one with Uruguay stock markings: rack no. on the right butt side, with the typical large Uruguay fonts. Unfortunately, the Uru stock cartouche is not visible. Serial #A8140 - close to geladen's sample.
    Both have the original rear sight slider, and no chamfer on the follower - the bolt will close on a empty magazine. So no indication of Spanish use.

Pic: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...60-1894-Mauser post #8

From my impression, these FN-made long rifles were also sold to Brazil in small numbers.

Chris
    Last edited by bagiman; 03-13-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Well, I received the rifle and it's gorgeous. I hope this isn't like the nice VZ24 Japanese contract I posted a while ago. I don't see any splotches to indicate a cold blue. The bluing on the barrel is amazing. All matching and really nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e.jpg   f.jpg   g.jpg   h.jpg   i.jpg   j.jpg  

k.jpg   l.jpg   a.jpg   b.jpg   c.jpg   d.jpg  

Mosin Fanboy

More photos. Sorry, the previous photos didn't show up in the order I posted them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m.jpg   n.jpg   o.jpg   p.jpg   q.jpg   r.jpg  

s.jpg   t.jpg  
    Mosin Fanboy

Beautiful rifle, congratulations!!
    "Though I've belted you and flayed you, by the livin' Gawd that made you, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

This looks in fantastic shape if original. There are some minty Uruguayan rifles as well as factory samples around. The stock should be examined for any cartouches in order to properly identify the contract (if any). I cover the model extensively in FN MAUSER RIFLES. Let us know if you acquire it and what it is.

Anthony

I own it. I took the most recent photos when it arrived. I haven't found any stock cartouche s other than the ones in the photos.

Mosin Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by willyj73 View Post
    I own it. I took the most recent photos when it arrived. I haven't found any stock cartouche s other than the ones in the photos.

Congrats, you most likely have one of the rare factory samples. I did not look at the rifle's number... but what a fantastic rifle!

Anthony

Follow up, yes that number is likely a factory (sales) sample!

Wow. I figured it wasn't common in the condition it was in when I found it. I visited a new (for me) online auction and found one that had a few Mausers. There were a few I was interested in, but the bids exceeded what I wanted to spend--and I wanted this one more than the others. I did bid more than I wanted to spend (for not knowing about the rifle), but the price wasn't bad. The whole rifle is in great shape--the screws don't look to have ever been removed. If they were, the person doing so was extremely careful.

Mosin Fanboy