Parts prices... The sad truth

Thread: Parts prices... The sad truth

frown Parts prices... The sad truth

I had a nice Finnish m1891 which was missing the handguard. I decided to do the right thing and get a replacement for it. I did so, but at considerable cost. As I began to think of it I came to the very sobering realization that I would not be able to recoup that cost in the value of the rifle. Sadly, I concluded that a handguard costs about $100, the butt stock about $100, the complete bolt around $80, the cleaning rod 30 dollars or more, the barrel bands, the Finnish hangers and the barreled action around another hundred dollars. $400+! That is considerably more than I will be able to sell this rifle for I believe, which is mismatched, and it just made me sort of sad to think that most of the Mosins that I have are now worth more in pieces than as collectible guns. Troubling to me at any rate. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box though.
    befus

Way off topic but I have a friend who came from Miami where he worked for a guy who drove around with a bag of cash and who would attempt to buy any newer Mercedes he saw on the road and who would then part out the ones he was able to buy.
    He made a lot of money.
    As to current milsurp values, I just lost money on a matching Mauser K98k over on Gunbroker, sold for under $1000 and with good pictures at that.

befus
    Unfortunately that has been true for some time. I'm sure folks who are not collectors have parted out Mosins but realistically, there are not a lot of us who buy parts so I think that has contributed to not making it a major market.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Patience is a virtue. The sum of the parts is never worth more than the whole. If you bring the parts together, then you get the equity, not the other way around. If the price isn't right don't buy it.

What did you expect? If you built your car from the parts counter it'd cost a million bucks.

Milsurps are no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is definitely true. If you post a nice M91 stock set that has no cracks and is ready for use on e-bay, it will sell for well over $200. Why? Because a few desperate people need a stock and almost nobody sells them.

That said, it's a PITA to list and sell mosin parts separately, and while you will make money, you won't get rich - you might be working for minimum wage, as it were.

Many guns sell for more in parts than they do as a whole. But we are stewards of these firearms during our lifetimes, an ethical approach towards your role as a steward is to pass it along to the next generation in as good of a shape as you received it. Parting out a serviceable rifle for a few extra bucks is wrong, plain and simple.

Agreed with all the above. I'm really not as dumb as I like to portray myself. It just came as a shock with mid level guns. A $79 91/30 I get it, but a $300 91 shocked me. I'm doing my part as I just bought/traded for four m91 handguard s to complete rifles I acquired over the years as I continue to disperse my little collection. Only one of my m91 will probably eventually get sold in pieces as it is just missing too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    befus

Yeah, M91 parts, and some 91/30 parts are going for crazy prices now. We get some crazy looks at shows when folks need M91 parts and we quote them prices. It is what it is I guess.
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7170 View Post
    Yeah, M91 parts, and some 91/30 parts are going for crazy prices now. We get some crazy looks at shows when folks need M91 parts and we quote them prices. It is what it is I guess.
    The killer of this is i go aways below the most popular Mosin parts places current price, if they even have any, and remind the potential buyer I don't charge $15 shipping and they still walk away. I tell them to remember I have to pay a premium price to replace what they are buying and that has no effect either. Awful lot of M91's without hand guards and cleaning rods these days! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Clemson92 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Since some people refer to me as the "glass half full" guy, I will offer a positive way to think about the issue of parting out certain rifles.

As a collector, I don't agree with chopping up and selling off an intact item for its parts. However, if you found an otherwise collectible rifle in a pawn shop that Bubba had made some irrepairable modifications to, the sell of the remaining intact parts might help one, or possibly a few, persons bring several rifles back to life. I like to think people buying these spare parts are doing just that.

I think a good point of this thread, is to remember to try and find and purchase the best examples we can afford. And have a clear idea (up front) of deficiencies in a potential purchase and what it might cost to correct. Or just live with it, as is. Only rarely will I buy a "fixer upper" as I have found long ago, it is usually a losing proposition to "restore" or correct a gun with issues. Sometimes it can be a rewarding project, but rarely does it economically pan out.

On occasion I purchase a cosmetically "rough" example that is otherwise mechanically sound, just because I want a "shooter" that I don't have to worry about stock dings, or obsessing over cleaning the corrosive priming right away.

Looking for pieces for some of my "shooters" on eBay I regularly come across multiple listings from sellers for parted out Trapdoor Springfields and other Historic long guns.... they can't sell guns there so they disassemble them and list the stock, trigger group, barrel bands, lock assembly, breechblock, and barrel with "extension" (receiver) separately... often times these appear to have been quite serviceable rifles prior to the ebayers taking them apart to cash in. Very sad, pieces of history that are lost forever!

Quote Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
    I think a good point of this thread, is to remember to try and find and purchase the best examples we can afford. And have a clear idea (up front) of deficiencies in a potential purchase and what it might cost to correct. Or just live with it, as is. Only rarely will I buy a "fixer upper" as I have found long ago, it is usually a losing proposition to "restore" or correct a gun with issues. Sometimes it can be a rewarding project, but rarely does it economically pan out.

On occasion I purchase a cosmetically "rough" example that is otherwise mechanically sound, just because I want a "shooter" that I don't have to worry about stock dings, or obsessing over cleaning the corrosive priming right away.
    Agreed on this one as well. Most of my current issues stem from the early days of the ufixem era. If you recall M1891's could be had as a ufixem for $10 with two bucks each for shipping. I was preparing to order 100 the very week they ended the deal. One of the great regrets of my cruffler career. I digress, but in my wildest dreams I never envisioned a handguard going for $100! I will admit that of the 7-8 'project' guns I picked up over the years, five will be sold in exactly the condition I bought them, a couple will be passed along whole, but at a loss, and a couple I'll break even on, or get a marginal profit. Of course it helps to see the 71 Pawn Shop tag still on the m91 that got the handguard which reads, Russian Mosin Nagant $79.95.
    befus

Anyone remember whenTapco had MN parts for as little as .10, Century had whole MN44s for 9.97 and whole MN91s for 29.97? I did not drink deep enough it seems.

What really makes me sick, are the M1 Garand, carbine, Springfield, etc. receivers that I have seen that the govt. cut up and you can still tell that a lot of them were in absolute mint unfired condition when they cut them up.

I am sure I spent more to restore a Remington 03 than it was worth. It gave me great joy and I love shooting my rescued bubba gun. Sometimes - for some people - it's more than just dollars and cents. Enjoy yourself that's the main thing in life isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    The killer of this is i go aways below the most popular Mosin parts places current price, if they even have any, and remind the potential buyer I don't charge $15 shipping and they still walk away. I tell them to remember I have to pay a premium price to replace what they are buying and that has no effect either. Awful lot of M91's without hand guards and cleaning rods these days! Bill
    I worked at a gun store for a really neat guy. He used to offer folks almost nothing for what they wanted to sell. When they swelled up for him, he would mention little things like lights and heat and employees and then get to the part about the fact that he didn't do this for fun - and by the way he liked to eat too. Some folks got it others were so wrapped up in their own worlds they would walk out. Very few sold.

I hate stripping down guns but if nobody wants to buy it & you need the money you have to do what you have to do.

I advertised a Tikka 91/30 for $350 last year & it sat on armslist for 9 months and nobody would buy it.
    I took the pot belly stock, hand guard and cleaning rod & sold it for $350 on ebay.
    I then purchased a regular russian 91/30 stock for $50 & installed the barreled action into the Russian stock & turned around and sold that for $275.

I hated doing that but I needed to get my money back and I could not let it sit any longer.

Right now I have a un-referbished Hungarian m44 I listed on armslist for $275 & I can't give it away.
    I am going to wait another week and if it doesn't sell I will have to strip it down and list it on ebay to get my money back.

It is a shame that I have to do that but I need my money back and I can sell the parts on ebay and get more than $275 & I would still have the barreled receiver.
    I can strip it down and throw the barreled receiver in the trash and sell the parts on ebay & get more than I am asking for the complete gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bitter View Post
    I hate stripping down guns but if nobody wants to buy it & you need the money you have to do what you have to do.

I advertised a Tikka 91/30 for $350 last year & it sat on armslist for 9 months and nobody would buy it.
    I took the pot belly stock, hand guard and cleaning rod & sold it for $350 on ebay.
    I then purchased a regular russian 91/30 stock for $50 & installed the barreled action into the Russian stock & turned around and sold that for $275.

I hated doing that but I needed to get my money back and I could not let it sit any longer.

Right now I have a un-referbished Hungarian m44 I listed on armslist for $275 & I can't give it away.
    I am going to wait another week and if it doesn't sell I will have to strip it down and list it on ebay to get my money back.

It is a shame that I have to do that but I need my money back and I can sell the parts on ebay and get more than $275 & I would still have the barreled receiver.
    I can strip it down and throw the barreled receiver in the trash and sell the parts on ebay & get more than I am asking for the complete gun.
    Maybe using Armslist is your problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyears View Post
    Maybe using Armslist is your problem...
    I use armslist to sell all my guns & had no problem selling 10-15 mosin nagant's but some guns don't sell.
    I have only not been able to sell a gun twice and both of those have to be stripped down for parts to get my money back.

Maybe not the best vehicle for a sale, but this does only too well illustrate my original point. You took what is likely a $325 rifle and didn't weigh yourself down breaking it down into dozens of parts and hassle, but really just two big chunks and turned that $325 gun into $575! That's just too much more for a fellow needing cash to pass up, cruffler or not. I am probably going to have to not think about this any longer. I'm on a fixed income and if I thought I could make $200 more each for the approx. 200 rifles I have yet to sell......I'd have to do it too....................
    befus

Same problem with car parts. Price all the components (price of an individual part) that make up your late model car...the total will be 5X's the cost of the assembled vehicle.

And then try to buy a grill or what ever for your not quite vintage car.. a Clean one will cost big money. If you wait long enough, some company will make reproduction parts/emblems/bumper rubbers/etc. and the price will go down.

So instead of spending the extra time to sell it on a more collector friendly place and go to hassle of shipping, you ruined some collectables and ended up having to ship parts anyways? I really don't understand you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by diss0lutus View Post
    So instead of spending the extra time to sell it on a more collector friendly place and go to hassle of shipping, you ruined some collectables and ended up having to ship parts anyways? I really don't understand you at all.
    So what part of he needed extra money and made $250 more parting it out slightly (two parts) with minimal hassle. I don't like it, but he nearly doubled his cash in hand.
    befus

Quote Originally Posted by befus View Post
    So what part of he needed extra money and made $250 more parting it out slightly (two parts) with minimal hassle. I don't like it, but he nearly doubled his cash in hand.
    Yeah, but we're on a board for collectors that care about collectables... He also had more hassle selling parts and buying parts than just selling the gun whole as he should have.

Yeah, but we're on a board for collectors that care about collectables... He also had more hassle selling parts and buying parts than just selling the gun whole as he should have.
    Of course we are, and that was the point of my original remarks. None of us want to think about selling parts of collectable firearms. At the top end I would say the whole remains more than the sum or the parts. At the low end guys do make a little dough I suppose, but who really wants to take a 91/30 and break the bolt down, sell the bands, rod, stock parts, etc separately to make 50 bucks? But these mid level pieces are in danger. Just as in the above case, I don't think any of us has a right to judge a person who made $250 by selling a stock and later a rifle in a cheap replacement stock. I think it endangers those pieces and it troubles me.
    befus

I encountered a similar phenomenom when dealing with a certain guitar brand that was very popular in the 80's. People wouldn't give me $200 for a guitar, but i could (and did) sell the guitar in parts for $400+.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomGuitar View Post
    I encountered a similar phenomenom when dealing with a certain guitar brand that was very popular in the 80's. People wouldn't give me $200 for a guitar, but i could (and did) sell the guitar in parts for $400+.
    Charvel? Do tell.
    Please add information about your SCW Mosin-Nagant here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...agant-Database

I buy parts all the time - I could never in good conscience buy a good gun then part it out for money, just goes against the grain as a collector. Do I fix up barreled actions, replace or fix broken stocks, put a more pleasing finish on a bubba'd stock....you bet.

Part out a good complete gun for money....never....!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    I buy parts all the time - I could never in good conscience buy a good gun then part it out for money, just goes against the grain as a collector. Do I fix up barreled actions, replace or fix broken stocks, put a more pleasing finish on a bubba'd stock....you bet.

Part out a good complete gun for money....never....!

Pahtu.
    In a way you kinda are. You're feeding the selling of parts and that causes people to tear apart guns.

In a way you kinda are. You're feeding the selling of parts and that causes people to tear apart guns.
    Ha, in that regard - I am self serving - If I find parts I want or need, I do not care why or where the parts are being offered - You will not see me part out a good working gun....so in a way I kinda am not.

Pahtu.

Lightbulb

I suspect that owing to basic economics, we will see a slowly increasing number of guns, parted out.

Not saying it's the right thing to do, or not to do. Just that people will do the math, run the numbers, and behave accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mat!_SW View Post
    Charvel? Do tell.
    Kramer. I could (and did) come across a few of the later F series guitars, often times with upgraded pickups, i.e. SD JB's or some such instead of the normal Japanese pickups. And i couldn't sell them for $200 apiece. So, i parted them out. $100-150 for the German floyd roses (Real ones, not a FRII), $100 for the neck, $50+ for the body, $50-100 for the pickup(s), other misc parts another $50-100. Simple economics.

Quote Originally Posted by bao tze 包子 View Post
    I suspect that owing to basic economics, we will see a slowly increasing number of guns, parted out.

Not saying it's the right thing to do, or not to do. Just that people will do the math, run the numbers, and behave accordingly.
    Agreed completely and I share exactly those fears and, unlike Pahtu, I understand it, if not agree. In my personal case, I am taking 7-8 M1891's to Tulsa next month. Just to make the math easy for my ancient brain, lets say 10. I hope to average a tad more, but lets go with $250 per, that's $2500 for the 10. I KNOW I can get that much for the stock sets alone, maybe without the bands. I would still have 10 complete barreled actions which I think I could move for more than $100 each (hell the bolts would bring $80 ea.), the rods, and possibly the bands. So conservatively I will cost myself $1500 just for those 10 rifles; to me that is not a trifling amount. I guess I ought to be telling everyone to come save Ivan before I part him out
    befus

"A $79 91/30 I get it, but a $300 91 shocked me"

Why ? Why is a 91/30 not worth more than some new $400 bolt action of no particular merit ? No Remchester 308 wood stocked bolt action is going to go for less than $500.

I have a friend who is a collector - a real one. Huge collection massive money. One of his lines is "...it just wasn't doing anything for me anymore." I collected for a while but my criteria were - has to shoot - has to have readily available ammunition and parts. Time passes and one then comes to the place - do I need all this, should the sales begin. You have to have a vaccination of anti regret before you launch into this. So after all that the question is what do you want the piece or the money. Getting the most out of it is business and in business emotions have no place. One question that always comes to my mind - and I am lucky - very lucky in this regard - what will you do with the money? I don't need or want for a thing so I have not hit the sales button yet but it is raising it's head. Hard times then steps up and says - cash won't do much will it. A nice dilemma to face.