To shoot & enjoy or not shoot & gaze upon. 91/30 Sniper questions about condition

Thread: To shoot & enjoy or not shoot & gaze upon. 91/30 Sniper questions about condition

Default To shoot & enjoy or not shoot & gaze upon. 91/30 Sniper questions about condition

The rifle: CIA ST ALB VT, 1944 serial HM(NM-English)13xx. Every proof mark on the rifle & scope mount is Izhevsk. Muzzle crown is blued. Bolt way is not in the white, but is not smooth either, no wear or burnish of the machine marks. Bolt assembly has no wear/grind marks, is all Izhevsk marked. Stock has half liners, front & rear. Barrel bands are Izhevsk. Rear half of receiver is polished. Buttplate is marked but un-numbered. Floor plate not visibly ground & remarked. Barrel bore condition is what I call mirror bright. Old scope serial lined out & appears to have been Б-42260x.

Scope mount is electropenciled with the last four of the rifle serial near bottom & four digit scope number at the top of the mount, between the rings & lightening cuts.

Scope is a replacement(I think) PU, marked vertically N08xx with a boxed X & letter M. Markings appear engraved through the finish. No factory logo is seen.

The sling that came in the bag of accessories is different looking, still tied together with little leather thongs.

Should I take it apart & look anything? Or just shoot & enjoy.

Pics tomorrow if this is interesting enough.
    A member of the 'NFA crowd',
    & also a Class II Manufacturer.

Hard to say without pics, especially being a CAI sniper since they sold some legit snipers, and thousands of reproductions.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Shoot and enjoy. The PU scopes are very tough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

If you married, say, Taylor Swift, would you actually be happy just LOOKING at her?

Shoot It!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    If you married, say, Taylor Swift, would you actually be happy just LOOKING at her?

Shoot It!
    More realistically, would SHE be happy with you trying to do more than just looking at her? I want a girl like that - not as my reward for being good, but as her PUNISHMENT for being bad
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

The bolt way is not in the white?

OP, why would you not shoot it? Resale value?

I would fire away and enjoy. If you perfect the accuracy and have some evidence to show for it, that would just add to the value I would think.

Daniel39

Quote Originally Posted by RussCollector View Post
    The bolt way is not in the white?
    Actually, Mosins had started to be dip-blued during production well before this PU was manufactured, so blued receiver internals don't tell us anything.

Seems to me you could do both... Not mutually exclusive categories, and when you aren't actually firing it, then my all means put it up on the mantle or whatever.

Oh. One more thing. It is, after all, your rifle and so it is your decision. No need to consult the experts of the "hive mind."
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das ZŁndloch prunst.

I shoot everything, even my m27rv, and that sniper rifle has certainly already been shot. You won't wear it out in any normal use of a few hundred rounds here and there!

If you owned a used Ferrari, would you leave it in the garage for the rest of your life? (Not to mention Taylor Swift...)