M28/30 barrel bushing

Thread: M28/30 barrel bushing

Default M28/30 barrel bushing

My M28/30 has a cracked hand guard, and I believe it's due to the barrel bushing. From what I've read, the stock should be inletted for the bushing. My stock does not appear to be inletted. Also, the rim of the bushing is bent, and folds under. I believe the combination of no inletting and the bent bushing caused a crack in the hand guard. Has anyone experienced this? Also, does anyone have a photo of what the inletting should look like? I'll need to do something to repair the handguard to prevent it from splitting again after I repair it, and I'm leaning towards carefully sanding the inletting to provide space for the bushing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

According to Palokangas the reinforced fore-end is later feature than the aluminum bushing so basically all of these stocks should (?) have enough relief for the bushing. But most definitely the bushing fitting sucked. I can see the rim has compressed the stock wood so I'd guess either the SA monkeys set the bushing placement improperly or the stock damage was due to dented rim. The rim should be right in front on the barrel channel, not inside the barrel channel.

What CH said about the barrel bushing placement is oh so true! I have fiddled with them a great deal and some seem to want to defy what I know is the proper place for them in the stock! It is not something I want to mess with after a long day in the shop as the last thing at night before I shut the door and call it a night. Fixing one like you have and getting it in the right spot is time consuming and sometimes takes a great deal of patience. The bushing can be squared away with some kind of file to square the edges, the area it moves in has to be very clean and lightly lubed a bit too. If it is placed just right the handguard sits in such a way that you are sure of it. The metal nose trim parts usually fit easily too. If not something is not quite right so keep fiddling with it.

Like I said Patience! Bill

PS Please remind me this month as I get 7 or 8 28/30's ready about what I wrote about?
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I am not sure about stocks being already fit for the bushing? I bought a M28 quite a while back that had come in a 1939 dated M28/30 Sk.Y stock. I need a 28/30 stock and tried it for fit on a m28/30 and had the same problems. It was not going to fit with the bushing and the HG was going to take the hit if I had just left it or chose to do a swap. I was under the impression that often M28/30s had the bushings removed during refurb and that some lost there bushing and it was of no concern. If the stock fit was correct that is. Something on the order of why the Finns eliminated the bushing on the M39s when they came into production. Can't say for sure but my replacement M28/30 stocks that are unissued are not fitted for the bushing? I am not stating this as cold hard facts but from my experinces. In the case of the 1939 dated Sk.Y stock, I do not believe that stock ever had a 28/30 in it. The stock looks brand new and has hardly a ding in it. My thoughts despite the cartouche and date, the stock was used as a replacement during refurb of the M28, which had gone through a "dressing up". The M28 fits like a glove by the way. Ya that bushing looks like I got a hold of it, I mean Bubba got a hold of it. Regards, John.

I'm filing some metal from the bushing right now. I can see and feel where the bushing begins to separate the hand guard. There isn't much wood at the edge of the hand guard, so material will have to be removed from the bushing. I definitely need to be careful in order to provide correct fit for the front band's bayonet lug (I'm using my M27's bayonet to test that everything is aligned).

Mosin Fanboy

Well, let's hope it's fixed. Cleaned the handguard with some acetone, spread some glue in the crack, and wrapped it up. I also repaired an M39 handguard I recently won on Ebay. Both handguards felt pretty strong when I squeezed them.

Mosin Fanboy