SA & '41 marked 91-30's.

Thread: SA & '41 marked 91-30's.

Default SA & '41 marked 91-30's.

Gentlemen, we see quite a lot of Soviet 91-30's , with Finnish SA and '41 ownership marks
    As a good few of these M-N's were Made in 1941, can I ask what actions these rifles would/could have been used in, to fall so quickly into Finnish hands?

I admit a another big hole in my knowledge here!

Thanks for any help!
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook View Post
    Gentlemen, we see quite a lot of Soviet 91-30's , with Finnish SA and '41 ownership marks
    As a good few of these M-N's were Made in 1941, can I ask what actions these rifles would/could have been used in, to fall so quickly into Finnish hands?

I admit a another big hole in my knowledge here!

Thanks for any help!
    Richard.
    The Finnish "41" mark was a property mark used before the PL and SA mark on guns undergoing rework in Finland. That is all. It was ordered in December 1941 and the official document has been found. I have also seen 41 marks on 1942 guns from early in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook View Post
    Year 1941 was the year of major Finnish offensives of the Continuation war. Just an example, the largest motti (encirlement) battle was fought in Aug-Sept. 1941 when Finnish forces encircled three divisions from the Soviet 23rd Army (Wikipedia) in Porlampi-Sommee area on Karelian isthmus. Soviets managed to evacuate some of their troops, but about 9000 surrendered. Amount of materiel captured by Finns was massive especially in heavy weapons. Amount of rifles captured was ca. 10,000.

SA-Kuva 49210
    Last edited by Haupitsi; 03-12-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typos
    Rautatieilmatorjuntakonekiväärikomppania

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Haupitsi,

Thank you for your reply!
    That was exactly what I was looking for. I had read up a little on this subject, but started with the Offensives into East Karelia ..........Tuloksa, Svir river, Omelia and so on. (The various "Fox" offensives)
    As far as I can make out, your suggestion of offensives on the Karelian isthmus seem Much more likely to have provided arms in large quantities. Thank you for this!

I just looked up the Soviet 23rd Army, and note that it was Formed in the Leningrad Military district in May, 1941, so very likely newly armed. This makes sense concerning the fact that new arms were captured when the Motti surrendered. Also of note is the fact that though about 9,000 surrendered, another 7,000 were buried there in the motti, so that would leave a huge amount of small -arms as well as heavy weapons.
    Thank you again for your contribution.

Also thank you for the photograph! I have not seen this one before.

Best wishes,
    Richard.
    Last edited by Pukka Bundook; 03-12-2017 at 11:58 PM.

I'll bet a lot of that artillery in the photo saw service in WW1, as well.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

While it is not a 41 does anyone have any ideas about the 4 marking on this M91? Figured I might get lucky and one of the experts would know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk