Turkish Mauser questions

Thread: Turkish Mauser questions

Default Turkish Mauser questions

Hello, Simon here I just bought a Turkish Mauser. I'm sure it's an M38. It's dated 1941 with the Turkish Crest and Marked Ankara TC I believe. I'm wondering on the bore size. This should be .323 diameter correct? Not the .318 stuff. The barrel is marked 7.92 and it is definitely a post 1905 Mauser. The only reason I ask is because I have seen ammo on sale for it this week and several different sites say that this ammo is .323 and not compatible with Turk or Yugo Mausers. I was confused by this and got out some 41 dated actual turk ammo I have and it all mics at .321 to .322. What would the reason be for saying this ammo won't work if it's .323 diameter? The add said the ammo was non ww2 dimensions (don't know what that means really) Or is this a case of several different websites selling ammo not knowing what it is. And one person asked me at work and no, the ammo for sale is not marked 8mm Kurz.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-can?a=1757334

On another site it said it wouldn't work with turks or Yugos or several others. Is this just junk ammo and the companies selling it are using this as a cop out as to why some milsurp rifles wont chamber it properly?
    “ Gentlemen, we may not make History tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the Geography”

General Herbert Plumer before detonation of 450 tons of explosive – Messines Ridge, June 1917.

Hi Mustang,

I think the problem is not the bullet, but the case. Some of the commercial Rumanian 8MM doesnt chamber in a
    standard 8mm mauser. I seem to recall the shoulder wasnt drawn right, and led to chambering problems. Others here
    might offer more info.

Bill

From what I've seen, it's not compatible with ANY 7.92 Mauser! It wouldn't chamber in any of my rifles in that caliber, regardless of origin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

OH gotcha. So basically stay away. Is there anywhere where surplus ammo is available for a decent price? And yes I d know how to clean my gun if it's corrosive.

Thanks. Simon.
    “ Gentlemen, we may not make History tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the Geography”

General Herbert Plumer before detonation of 450 tons of explosive – Messines Ridge, June 1917.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan61 View Post
    From what I've seen, it's not compatible with ANY 7.92 Mauser! It wouldn't chamber in any of my rifles in that caliber, regardless of origin.
    Perhaps that is why it is on Clearance........
    There's nothing more dangerous than a colossal, bankrupt, and well-armed government--- Porter Stansberry

At least a couple of places are unloading this crap ammo at low prices. I even bought one 20-round box to see if it's as bad as everybody says, but I haven't tried to shoot it yet.

87mustang, your question seems to be about ammunition rather than about your Turk Mauser, why not ask your question at "The Ammo Bunker" here at Gunboards? You can get there with this link:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...he-Ammo-Bunker

Now, you will get answers here so I will leave the thread active but there are many knowledgeable people there.

I apologize, I'm not that savvy at navigating sometimes. I seen Turkish Mauser posters and thought perhaps they would know if I had a .318 diameter issue with the barrel or just an ammo issue. wasn't sure. Sorry for any inconvenience.

This thread seems to be discussing the ammo in the ad you linked to, apparently a bad batch:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=romanian

Turkish Mausers should be some of the most shootable 8mm surplus Mausers out there. That is, as long as the ammo is decent.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

For what it is worth, I just took a micrometer to a loaded round of late 1940's Turkish 8mm that was specifically made for use in the rifles like the one described in the OP.

The bullet just ahead of the case mouth mikes .323" in these rounds, and the late 1940's Turk ammunition (unlike US commercial 8mm) is DEFINITELY NOT a bunny fart load.

This stuff will propel a 150+ grain bullet at something over 3000 feet per second out of one of the long-barreled (30", +/-) versions of the rifle mentioned in the OP.

Also be aware that to the best of my knowledge, the Turks did NOT make a more lightly loaded round to use in the rifles with pre-98 receivers that could be (and probably were) in service right alongside the S-bore 98's in the same units.

I bought a case of Romy 8mm from Century a few years ago and it shoots just fine in my Turk mausers, both kind. Must be some bad ammo out there if it is recient purchase.....chris

http://www.turkmauser.com/Gew88/

An article by Doc AV on the GEW 88 Turkish Mauser, the only Turkish military rifle I've ever heard of made originally for the .318 "J" bullet. The 1893 and 1903 models were originally 7.65x53 (sometimes called 7.65x54) Mauser, first used by Belgium. They were converted to 7.9x57 JS (8x57) , .323 bullet, which became the standard Turkish ammunition.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.