Fact checking: Mauser Military Rifles of the World

Thread: Fact checking: Mauser Military Rifles of the World

Default Fact checking: Mauser Military Rifles of the World

In the last edition (5th) of Ball's 'Mauser Military Rifles of the World,' there is a 'short' rifle attributed to Luxembourg that is listed as a '24/30 Mauser.' Vanderlinden has made it abundantly clear that this designation is a misnomer, referring to two different types represented at the time by one photo in FN's catalogs. I've been unable to locate any reliable info on the short rifle, and am wondering if anything new has surfaced about them, specifically these aspects:

- Exactly what type is this?
    - How are they marked?
    - What caliber?
    - Production numbers/years of production?
    - Source(s) of ammunition (domestic/foreign contract)?

The absence of much information on these suggests very low surviving numbers. If anyone has information on these, I'd love to hear it. Privately (via PM) is fine, but I'm sure others here would like to be illuminated, too.

Thanks!
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Hi Pat,

Mauser Military Rifles of the World
    by Robert Ball was the primary reference book for Mausers of all countries when the first edition was published. The only books that could be compared to it were Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olson and Rifles of the World by John Walter. Unfortunately, like all books, MMROTW had errors. For example, the difference between the FN1924 and FN1930 was never understood through the 5th edition. Now we have supplementary books that fill in the gaps and correct some errors, like Serbian and Yugoslav Mausers by Branko Bogdanovic and the new FN Mauser Rifles by Anthony Vanderlinden. And of course, there are the incomparable Karabiner 98k and Kriegsmodell by Bruce Karem and Michael Steves.

Here we have an example of a rare rifle mentioned in MMROTW that is nowhere to be found in any other literature, the "Luxembourg FN Model 24/30 Short Rifle". A photo is shown but it is just a standard FN1930; it says "as used by Luxembourg" which I understand to mean the same model as used by Luxembourg.

I would expect to find it in FN Mauser Rifles, along with the Chinese, Paraguayan, Ethiopian, Peruvian, Lithuanian, Greek, Venezuelan, and Colombian contracts of the same period, but it is not there. Neither does it appear in Mauser Bolt Rifles, Rifles of the World, or anywhere else I can find.

I think we will just have to accept that the
    Luxembourg FN24/30 mentioned in MMROTW is a fantasy rifle, just as is the K98k with FN crest featured in two photos on page 212 of MMROTW 5th edition. Ball writes "This most likely resulted from using receivers and other parts from the old stocks on hand at the FN factory". Since the rifle in the photos has no German firing proof mark, I suspect that it most likely resulted from someone placing a Chinese FN1930 barreled action (imported to the US) in a K98k stock. Mine is made with a Navy Arms imported Chinese FN1930 action in an RC K98k stock. I call it 'the rifle that does not exist'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FN K98k 1.JPG   FN K98k 3.JPG   FN K98k 4.JPG  
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Hi Bill,
    Yep, I have most of those same books and try to stay current with recent releases in areas that interest me. I expected to find at least something mentioned in Anthony Vanderlinden's latest book, too. I'm not ready to dismiss these as a 'never was' yet, but I can't find ANYTHING outside of what's mentioned in MMROTW. I did locate a grainy photo of Luxembourg troops in 1940 armed with straight bolt rifles that appear to be too short to be Model 1900 Mausers, though. It's tantalizing, but inconclusive in any case.

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I went out the way to find any prewar Luxembourg contract purchases, not because of Ball’s book but because of the mutual military assistance agreement between Belgium and Luxembourg. I never was able to get an exact date and believed it was ratified in 1958 after the BENELUX was formed. It seems to have its origins with the Korean War, although it looks like the Luxembourg battalion was issued Enfield rifles in Korea, just like the Belgians early on – this changed for the Belgians to the FN-49, not much indicates that it did for the Luxembourg battalion.

While vague internet articles make reference to the Luxembourg Army, much of the law enforcement and military functions were handled by the Gendarmerie Grand Ducale and not by a conventional military. Luxembourg Army numbers appeared to have been in the hundreds, rather than thousands. I found few purchases of modern equipment in the pre WWII period, and no FN Mausers. It appears that they were still using Nagant revolvers through the 1920s and 1930s.

I resulted to period invasion footage which reinforced my findings. Even saw some sad Napoleonic era canons being pulled by horses to counter the mechanized German offensive.

There is no reference of Luxembourg contracts in FN Mauser Rifles, as I could not locate any.

I hope this helps.

Anthony

It does help Anthony, thank you!
    I think that settles it, then. There's not even any entries for Luxembourg in the Kennblatter fremden Gerats, which is where I'd expect to find at least something.
    Thanks again,
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.