577 elley?

Thread: 577 elley?

Default 577 elley?

just came across these i am and unsure of the rifle they would be used for., what would of one of these cartridges generally sell for? head stamp london .577 elley
    any info is always greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elley.jpg   elley2.jpg  

How long is the cartridge case? 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch?
    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)

...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has always proved to be possible.
    - Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60

Make that 'ELEY', later Ely-Kynoch, ammunition manufacturers to the British Empire.

Lead and paper-patched, they look just like they might be .577 Black Powder Express cartridges, in 2.5, 2.75, 3 and 3.25" case lengths. You tell us which.

The late nitro-loaded version were gilded FMJ or RN soft-point like those you showed, but gilded. They would have been used in a double rifle, in Africa or India, safari or shikar, on lions or tigers.

Value, I'm afraid, is something I can't help with, as I live in the yUK.

tac
    I am an international Gunboards patron

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

i do not have a measuring tape on me but il try and have a few measured , im sure they arent cheap lol

i believe these are 3"

You have the answer then. They are 3" .577cal Black Powder Express cartridges. An unopened box of ten here in UK might fetch a couple of hundred dollars from a collector/seller.

In the USA I wouldn't have a clue, except to say that they are rare for sure - not many double rifles made their way over to your side of the Atlantic.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley2; 03-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Default .577 eley

thanks for the information i will try to update with measurements etc. id like to pull a projectile and weigh the powder.
    i may end up putting them up for sale or trade as i have more than a few to go around in very nice condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 577.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtruppe303 View Post
    thanks for the information i will try to update with measurements etc. id like to pull a projectile and weigh the powder.
    i may end up putting them up for sale or trade as i have more than a few to go around in very nice condition.

Please don't pull around 'just to see'. The nitro version of this round is still made, at $85 for five. Even the cases like yours are a minimum of $20 apiece.

Depending on the length of the case, the bullets weigh from 520 - 650gr, and the charge is from 135 - 190gr of BP of an undisclosed granulation.

This is what the double rifle looks like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csAN0KNt_Zc - except that the one that shoots your cartridge is somewhat larger.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley2; 03-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.

ok so i was looking into these old rounds and found some slightly shorter, they but have some sort of insert in the top of the projectile, may be made of brass or some other metal. may i ask is there any significant reason these projectiles have these? 'shorter round on left' i will post a picture of them i hopes of learning more about these fantastic cartridges
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eley.jpg   eley2.jpg  

Something along the line of a metal nose cap on the end of the bullet to aid in expansion or really way out there an exploding bullet. Frank

I think it's just a copper tube, for expansion.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    I think it's just a copper tube, for expansion.
    Several makers turned out "tubed" (IIRC term properly) bullets in express chamberings. As suggested, to aid expansion. There were explosive bullets made, essentially a .22 rimfire case full of powder inserted in a cavity in bullet nose, but I'd bet a donut (even if they do cost a dollar each these days) that isn't one.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

i believe that they may just be to aid in penetration or expansion