Is this 1909 ARG sling original ? Butt plate screw ?

Thread: Is this 1909 ARG sling original ? Butt plate screw ?

Default Is this 1909 ARG sling original ? Butt plate screw ?

My butt plate has a screw that is blued with the typical shiny blue color and asterisk, but the butt plate is in the white. Is this the incorrect type of screw for an Argentine 1909?

This green leather sling came with the rifle. Is it the original, or is it some sort of knock off? The staples in the loop seem strange.

Thanks.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sling 1.jpg   sling 2.jpg   sling 3.jpg   sling 4.jpg  

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

The sling is Argentine but from a later period. My M1909 is buried too deep for me to check the screw. It is probably original if it is the same as all the other wood screws.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Those slings were marketed by JLD back 15 years or so. He claimed that they were made for the 1909. I think that originally the slings used by the Argentines were probably of the more or less generic brown Mauser type, but at some point the green slings were produced and used with the 1909's and maybe with the FAL, or other rifles used by their Armed Forces. I would say considering where they come from and who they were marketed by, that it would be counted as being a correct sling for a 1909.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by befus; 03-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    befus

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info guys. I will leave it on the rifle, but if I ever sell it I won't claim it is the original just to err on the side of honesty.

The screws were blued after having the rising sun stamped on them.

ya mine has blued screws and the buttplate in the white....Nice sling even if it is repop...you would think there would be enough demand for an accurate reproduction of those to justify someone having a bunch of those made...

Blued screws are correct.

If anyone has an original, I have a leather guy that does all sorts of repairs and good work for me. A true artist when it comes to leather working. He has made a few slings for me, and is typically very reasonable for the high quality, american leather and materials. But there are also a lot of guys out there making repop slings already. Probably be better to approach one of them. Course you have to be mindful a lot of that stuff is cheap for a reason...

The sling is original, produced for Argentine military forces. While not as durable as sewing, the staples used on the loop are a common feature of late production Argentine slings for the M1909 rifle, they were a cost cutting method and stood up reasonably well in use. There were many of these imported in absolutely new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    The sling is original, produced for Argentine military forces. While not as durable as sewing, the staples used on the loop are a common feature of late production Argentine slings for the M1909 rifle, they were a cost cutting method and stood up reasonably well in use. There were many of these imported in absolutely new condition.
    It depends on what you mean by "original". It does appear to be an original issue Argentine sling, but it was not original to this or any other Model 1909. These slings were issued many years after the M1909s were issued and then adopted for use with the M1909s.

My M1891 is a late import from the Argentine Navy (with crest). It is very possible the last sling it wore in Argentine service was green. I got the sling (and frog) in a 'leather grab bag special' from Century around 1994. The rifle came from Gunbroker in June 2011.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Argentine M1891 LR 1.JPG   Argentine M1891 LR 3.JPG   Argentine M1891 LR 7.JPG   Argentine M1891 LR 8.JPG  

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    My M1891 is a late import from the Argentine Navy (with crest). It is very possible the last sling it wore in Argentine service was green. I got the sling (and frog) in a 'leather grab bag special' from Century around 1994. The rifle came from Gunbroker in June 2011.
    Nice bayonet, Bill. Is the number anywhere near the rifle's S/N? I picked up mine for cheap because it was a rust bucket. The crest is barely scrubbed, and it cleaned up nicely. I would like to find one that wasn't scrubbed but they are hard to find, as you know. There's one coming up for auction but the prior/current owner got bored and pimp shined it. Here's mine.

Hi Andy,

Must have been a Monday or Friday scrub job on the bayonet - they ground more off the fuller than they did off the crest (the better for you).

My bayonet is A block and my rifle is K block. K block bayonets had aluminum grips instead of brass (like your L block bayonet).

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

FWIW...anybody have an ..................................Thanks

Please follow the Gunboards rules (they are at the top of all Forums, it will only take a few seconds to read them, Rule #1 applies here) and post your request in the WTB Trader at http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...t-to-Buy-Forum .
    Last edited by TP; 03-15-2017 at 06:49 PM.