DSM-34 value?

Thread: DSM-34 value?

Default DSM-34 value?

My friend picked this up at a consignment auction for a very modest price. There's no import mark, no military stampings, and the thing is in pretty good shape, a little wear and some dings and dents but that's about it. We couldn't find a huge amount of info on it but he is looking to sell it and wants an approximate value range for it. Once he gets a price it's going for sale/possible trade on the trader. Sorry for the sideways pics that probably aren't worth a damn, I can get him to take some more pics if desired. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7431.jpg   IMG_7434.jpg   IMG_7433.jpg   IMG_7432.jpg   IMG_7430.jpg   IMG_7429.jpg  

I have not followed the market on these tho I have had one for years. Price can vary some on these, maker, condition, rare versions, etc. The original sling is a big plus, Mauser brand will be also to many collectors. Go to the K98k forum and their small bore training rifle section. Be prepared with pics of all markings, faults on wood and metal finish and closer full length views. My guess would be 500, min., probably more. Matching part numbers is also important.
    Yours is a nice example but then most are as they are bring backs and saw little use. They were commercial rifles, not regular military issue.
    Last edited by lornedavis; 03-13-2017 at 05:36 PM.

If the numbers match everywhere and with that super rare sling I guess over $1000, as to military use they were indeed used to train incoming troops but they marked them as sportmodel to get around the treaty that banned production of military rifles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Paid $1250 for one last summer. Very nice condition.

strange that it has no mfg identification???

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    strange that it has no mfg identification???
    I believe this to be a very late Oberndorf production, even without the banner. A close inspection of the Deutsches Sportmodell stamp will show much wear evidence of the die. Check the 'h' and first 'l' in the pic, as these letters have missing pieces. Still, a meticulously finished gun.

Most of these rifles were made long after Hitler ignored treaty on military rifles. (1934 up to 39-40) They are commercially proofed, which they would not be if made made for the military. While the military did buy some, they were used by them on a very limited basis. Most were purchased by para military formations like SA, SS. Hitler Youth. etc. They were never official Army or military rifles. Go to web site I mentioned above, history is written there. The K98k conversion kit were probably a different matter, atho they are not common. The same as DSM, goes for the KKW 'trainer'.

I guess calling the hordes that were about to embark on a career as "German military" guys was poorly stated, I suppose "about to be" would have been more correct.

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    I guess calling the hordes that were about to embark on a career as "German military" guys was poorly stated, I suppose "about to be" would have been more correct.
    ????????? huh?

I'm having trouble understanding the difference, if they were used to train SS, SA and hitler youth all of whom would later be of the German war effort how the DSM can not be considered to have been used by the military?
    My bad, I just can not seem to understand.

I am saying they were commercial rifles, so the people who used them purchased them just like a civilian did (they did sell to civilians, many rifle clubs in Germany). They were not regular government 'items of issue' to the military or to the para-military organizations. The SS and SA ones usually have their stamps in the wood, but probably not all. The DSM and KKW were made to look like the K98k so I imagine they were pitched to the military but they were never adopted as "official". If the Army used them they were trainer, if not they were not.
    Trainer is more of a collector term, as with US 22's purchased by our Army. The only true "trainer" the US ever had was a Navy contract for Mossberg 44US, 22. 61,000 were purchased, another 10,500 were cancelled in 1945. The rest were "Gallery" rifles (including the Springfield M-1922). They were purchased in such small amounts they could never be true training rifles for millions of troops.
    I have a .22 conversion kit for the 98k, it has the typical military serial number type and Nazi Eagle military proofs. It is designed only for the K98k, I doubt any civilians had those so it is military and for training. Every training unit maybe had few recruits who had never shot a rifle (as you mentioned) so they did not need many of them.
    Rather long winded but in a nut shell, most DSM's & KKW's were just never used by the 'Uniformed German Military', the point I was trying to make.
    Last edited by lornedavis; 03-16-2017 at 02:59 PM.

News to me for sure..what's that book again?
    I'm getting itchy waiting for Farb's epic...need to buy something.

I never mentioned any book. Only the K98k site and forums.

Okay, I seem to remember somebody wrote one that's supposed to be good..

The "book" is Mauser Smallbores by John Speed.

Yup, that's what I was thinking of, thanks!
    Just figured out why I don't have a copy...$179 on Amazon, must be a great read.