Gunboards Forums banner

Uberti 's Remington 1858 Carbine Carbine

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Electricfactory 
#1 ·
I am interested in buying a new 1858 Carbine. On another board it seems that customers were having issues with the new guns. A little scary as it is expensive but they're currently have them on sale except NOT returns. I'm not gun Smith but have any interest in unique antique guns that are working replicas. I'm Not sure how to proceed! Anyone know where this Gun is sold retail at a fair price? I appreciate any help!

#2 ·
The long barrel makes the revolving carbine ungainly to shoot, considering you've got to keep all your fingers & toes behind the cylinder face when shooting. That long barrel & rifle stock seem like a good idea, but, if even R. Lee Ermey won't fire one for safety reasons, that's good enough for me. There's a reason they're on sale ...

If a regl'r cap & ball revolver isn't good enough for you (perceived better stability with the shoulder stock), then consider an 1860 Colt Army and fit it with a shoulder stock. Now .... they're a hoot to shoot and even more accurate than just the revolver alone (which is plenty accurate). And you won't feel like you have to put body parts out in front of the cylinder face to shoot with the shoulder stock.

#4 ·
Uberti 's Remington 1858 Carbine

I really liked the idea of a a Remington 1858 Rifle/Carbine. I can imagine with the longer barrel it would be more accurate. I actually did watch that Video when I discovered they were made. I knew the hands would have to be held in the correct position. My opinion is safety glasses are a must for range shooting and any other time when possible. I would have suggested a longer make, both barrel and stock for better accuracy and a more comfortable grip. The notch for the second hand seems reasonable but with a little more distance.

There was also an elusive one made before this one but hard to find and costly! It wasn't made by Uberti. Maybe a 1855 by Pieretti? Not sure if I got that right? The other site I looked at the Uberti had some bad reviews though here they are good. One states received with a bent barrel! Sort of scared me off but I still want one. I like unique replicas.

#5 ·
[video]https://youtu.be/f4kN-AQLVD4?t=39[/video]

Nevertheless, if I found one at the right price, I'd likely bring it home. Besides longer barrel, the cylinder has more capacity. And those pesky chainfires - you're more likely to have a traffic accident on the way driving to work ...

#10 ·
You don't shewt a revolving carbine like a modern rifle. At least not more than once.
The butt plate goes on the bicep, not the shoulder & the left hand grasps the brass at the stock wrist.
Yes it feels "odd at first"

#12 ·
I love mine! As said above eye protection and holding properly are a must. Figure out what load it likes and they can be very accurate.The Uberti's are very nicely done. Got mine a couple years ago from SPG. Wait for a double discount/free shipping sale and they go for $450 or so.

#13 ·
I have one.
Is safe if you are safe.
keep both hands behind cylinder like holding a pistol.
load correctly
use the powder pellets for pistols or if using loose powder make sure not around front facing cylinder and none where put caps or would chain fire.
I lost back sight to mine so bought a Henry model 22 scope base for Malcolm scope and Malcolm scope drifted front sight out added some jb weld to hold the base in back sight dovetail, forgot to get excess jb weld off so is kind of messy but is holding up.
I don't know how to post pix on here but might be able to click my name see a thread I put up a while ago or photos of it in my profile on here but here is link to other thread http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...leman-revolving-carbine&p=2740328#post2740328

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.