One gun: a Mak for a backpack. Keep three extra loaded mags?

Thread: One gun: a Mak for a backpack. Keep three extra loaded mags?

Lightbulb One gun: a Mak for a backpack. Keep three extra loaded mags?

Note: the Mak would Not need to remain in the pack, where it's useless. In transit it could be kept in a very mod. weight pack to get from my car back home on a long hike (I'm aware of pros/cons in 'normal' scenarios), however Remote the chances it would ever be needed. Let's not waste much space on the extremely unlikely scenarios (pm's are better, or covered under SKSboards forums).

The decision is already made to have some extra ammo for a small handgun, but none of my rifles can be concealed outside the car.

When far from home carrying No rifle, how many extra mags would most guys carry with a Russian .380 Mak. for concealable self-defense, just in case they needed to walk a Very long time on public roads?
    Not hiking trails, just roads such as state highways, possibly small back roads near stolen cars in north MS, or west TN. I'm aware of some rare, specific rural dangers many suburban people are not aware of. 'PM' me for a very sobering, strange event a coworker dealt with, in his truck.
    Last edited by Laufer; 03-14-2017 at 02:30 AM.

You would be safer on the trails then the roads Laufer. My hiking trail gun was just a Bersa .380 carried on the waist under an untucked shirt or jacket. The few folks I met were great people and I didn't want to show the gun at all. Spare ammo was carried loose without a spare mag to save weight. I'm happy with 8+1 in the gun and 8 loose in my small pack on the trails but walking on the pavement like you I would like two spare loaded mags.

In the extremely unlikely event of a major disaster (or bizarre gasoline panic, i.e. '73, '77 OPEC), there might not be any known trails near a city with which to avoid roads.
    Plus rivers, private land, swampy back country in west TN/north MS.

One issue might be where to carry the extra mags.
    Last edited by Laufer; 03-15-2017 at 02:40 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

My choice of my Bersa was simply for the weight advantage and in the Kisatchie Wilderness area my hiking was purely recreational. Under the scenario you're suggesting I would want my Mak for reliability and ruggedness. I just spent several months on ebay trying to get an extra mag for the Mak plus I wanted the hump model too since I tend to carry my spare in my back pocket. It took that long to be able to win the bid on one but I finally have my 3rd magazine now.

That's quite a while.
    You also tried Gunbroker and Armslist?

It took a few months to get one, not to find one. Found many but there were others who wanted them a lot more then I did. Most of these would have a bidder upping the price in the last 5 minutes and there was a limit to what I was going to pay. Ended up paying more then it was worth but now I have 3 and that's enough for me.

Nice. Patience can be a real challenge for some of us.
    In the broader sense of why people don't consider a Makarov for carry/survival scenarios, it seems they either want only a US-made handgun, and lightweight plastic,
    or have a little contempt for the lower-power rd. and the fact that all four Mak types were produced inCommunist (or post-) countries

The Mak is an excellent survival pistol. Its simplicity makes parts breakage rare, and when things do go wrong it is easy to fix, making it the almost perfect survival pistol. That said, for hiking use in the wilds I prefer a revolver to a pistol. There the possibility of having an encounter of the four legged variety is greater. And generally these types of encounters come much closer, often at bad breath range where I prefer the revolvers ability to be pressed into the fur and discharged multiple times where a pistols slide would likely get jammed.
    Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ---- Josey Wales

Default Makarov mags

I'm fortunate to have three Maks, a Russian commercial, a Bulgarian Circle 10, and an E. German. All came came with two magazines, so I have the option of carrying multiples. I carry the Russian most often with one spare mag. When traveling, I opt for my Glock 19 with two extra mags. How many magazines I carry depends on my assessment of the likely threat. In my case, more often four legged than two legged. I have encountered mostly moose in my outdoor wanderings. My strategy there is cautious retreat, as even my Glock 20 seems puny against these guys.

Exclamation

Inusuit: Moose stories, in case you want to change the channel...

In about '98-'99 I was riding on the bike trail in Anchorage, the section which begins downtown and curves by the bay, right at the end some main runway approach lights. Leaving the narrow section with no trees (where cars park to watch the planes), went back into the trail where tree shadows made it hard to focus very quickly. Stopped after just a few seconds when we spotted the large moose, which stood about 100 ft away with an almost-grown Bullwinkle Junior by her side. They chewed leaves for about five minutes then steadily walked away from the trail. While waiting for them, a young German guy had ridden up behind us and asked "Are zehr any beahhrs?" I only said that I doubt it, but moose could be just as dangerous.

The hotel shuttle driver had told us that a year earlier a moose had been on a nearby campus. Students had thrown a few objects, possibly to make it leave. A foreign student walked into the area and the moose attacked and killed the guy.