Gunboards Forums banner

M28/76 barrel markings thread

6K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Kaiserkong 
#1 ·
Can we get a thread going on the different styles of markings found on 28/76's? I think there are at least 6 different styles, but I haven't found one post that details the different markings all together.

Can the guys who have these post up the different markings? If it has been posted already, just say that you have XXXX marking and I'll see if we can get a statistically accurate guess as to what the quantities may be. Having a sample size of about 900 rifles makes the probability to establish a range of certainties per marking easier.

#5 · (Edited)
You guys have all the cool marked ones. Mine has nothing on it. I kinda feel left out now.
It does however have a serial number on the left side of the barrel shank just above the wood line.

Mine is left handed with a scope base.
Sorry for the somewhat poor quality, but this is the only picture I have that shows the barrel shank:

#6 ·
Here are my two contributions. One is 1939 M28/30{76} and one is 1969 28/76 . The third one is strictly a 1935 M28/30 four digits off of Alsky pictured one above. Almost forgot how nice that 1935 is. A very nice rescued rifle that survived barely, from the north woods of Wi.
Regards, John.

#25 ·
I wonder how difficult it would be to find a correct scope and mount? And how much it would cost - There used to be a fellow on GB who sold mounts that fit, but I believe he no longer makes them.

Pahtu.

In my online searching, I have seen references to someone who made mounts that fit the base on the top of some of these, but like you said, it appears he no longer makes them.
I would love to have a rail to fit the base that would accept regular weaver style rings. I figure it is such a small and niche market, it is not worth anyone's time and money to make a mount.
Finding a original one, from what I have seen, is very very difficult and expensive.

#28 · (Edited)
Sean since your thread has more than M28/76 "markings" posted in it I can add some oddities: A pair of 1967 dated rifles that have 4 holes added to their rear sight bases! Machine

Front sight base with threaded hole added ( rifle # 71995 dated 1934 see above). I would guess to ad a "locking screw) to the windage setting. Revolver

This picture of the (71995) receive sight has markings similar to a sight posted on the boards a few weeks back. Can a member repost the information about the name of the unit (looks like) SovPr as I forgot to take notes that day? Tool

#30 ·
Good stuff gents. Keep it coming. I like the responses so far. I know there has to be more. After a little bit, I'd like to get members to respond what they have. I'll organize the thread to keep a statistical tally on what people have. Maybe a pattern will emerge, maybe not. But it might be cool to see what is common and uncommon.

#31 ·
The Finns continued to be frugal in the custom building in a lot of these rifles. I have encountered some rifles that have trigger adjustment screws added. These seem to be most prevalent on the 1970 & 1972 dated rifles but I have also seen one example each of a 1967, a no date and a 1976 with this feature. The armorer that added this feature much have been given a box of oddball nuts & screws to work with. Auto part Hardware accessory Automotive engine part Metal
Metalworking hand tool Tool Hardware accessory Metal Cutting tool

The bolt handle knobs also vary in style. Antique tool Tool
Cylinder Metal Pipe

There were a number of different receiver sights used and in most but not all cases it seems that they were attached to the rifle so that there was a uniform location of the eye piece. This picture will show 2 different depths of machining in the receivers to accommodate a short arm and a long arm. I have also noticed different thicknesses of the attachment arms on similar looking sights. And the screw attachment screws were not all consistently located either. Trigger Machine tool Machine Tool

The distances from muzzle to front sight can also vary. With 5/8" seeming to be the norm on late 60's dated barrels also the 5/8" measurement has shown up on a couple of early 70's barrels too. Pipe Tool accessory Auto part Cylinder Hardware accessory

#32 ·
#33 ·
M28/76s converted from the old M28/30 rifles measure a front sight set back of 1/2". The M28/76 rifle pictured above that was that was built by using a 1940's M39 rifle has a sight set-back of 1" which is the norm for an M39 barrel. There are 2 or 3 other members on Gunboards that also have M28/76 rifles converted form M39s with 1"set backs. I have not seen another type of barrel on these rifles with a 1" set back. Of the rifles with the 5/8"+ or - set backs as I stated above these most often have shown up on late 60's dated barrels also the 5/8" measurement has shown up on a couple of early 70's barrels too. Since the sights are not set back an inch from the muzzle on these rifles I wouldn't consider them "M39" barrels. These late 60s & early 70s barrels are probably late date M28/30 rifles that were converted to M28/76 configuration or if not they were unused barrels brought out of inventory for the M28/76 project. If they were unused inventory were they earmarked for use on M39 rifles or M28/30 rifles ??

Most all of the 1976 & 1977 dated barrels that I have encountered have the sight set back 1/2".

BTW there has been a lot of information posted on the net about bore diameters, chamber & throats. Some good some bad. I have slugged a lot of bores and tried chambering a number of different types of ammo in a good number of these rifles and found there are some consistencies in specs as far as serial number groups and date ranges but there seems to be exceptions in every group. I have encountered a D166 marked M28/76 rifle that headspaced fine but the bolt would just barley close on commercial ammo and would not close on surplus.

#34 ·
I believe that I had posted a picture of threaded muzzles in the past but I think they would be appropriate in the M28/76 thread. Threaded for silencers? All have scope blocks, odd sling swivel markings and all were used hard. These have serial numbers only. Product Door handle
Hammer Tool
Screw Nut Household hardware Cylinder Metal
Gun Wood Air gun
Tan Wood Leather Metal

Left handed stocks with different sling swivel configurations: Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Wood
Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun Match rifle shooting
Gun Shooting sport Wood Shooting Air gun

#35 ·
Hi All, I posted I rifle that I think to be a target rifle.

Its made from a 1944 VKT with a very high serial 746XX. Bolt is odd as the knob is almost egg shaped. The milling on the side is there for the diopter sight but no relief cut in the stock is present. However the stock was cut for the turned bolt.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?820338-Possible-JK-Model-39-57

PLEASE COME LOOK AT IT, I would really appreciate input from collectors of your caliber.

#38 ·
Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Wood String instrument

I know this thread hasn't been posted on a while, but I figure it's worth posting my barrel stamp. It is the only example I have seen where it has just the ASEV1 stamp and serial number (no date or M28-76 stamp as other examples from this thread have). In Matt DiRisio's new book he shows a barrel with the ASEV1 stamp and a serial number not too far off mine - but it has a 1977 date stamped as well. I'm wondering if my barrel is then is from that same time frame. The original M28/30s also had serials in the mid-56000 range dating from 1938/1939 according to Bowser's book. So my barrel could possibly date from then too. I'm not entirely sure. The barrel is a 28/30 (not a M39) and is in near mint condition.