1895G Marlin 45-70

Thread: 1895G Marlin 45-70

Default 1895G Marlin 45-70

I really couldn't decide where to park this so I guess this is as good as anywhere .

After many mixed reviews​ ......
    I went to a show and bought a Marlin 1895 G in 45-70 for just a little more that a new 92' Rossi in Colts .
    I just had a phone update and pictures are screwed up but I'll give it hell as I go .
    I looked over the really important parts before dropping dollars doing a mental comparison to a friend's SS gun and decided to take a chance .
    The hammer is a little heavy on the bolt but with 30 found down range it seems better than it was across the table , but nothing like the slick of the 99' that Jorge has .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170312_170351028.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	2046082
    I have about a 1997 1894CB Marlin that was good but not great out of the new box and a little bit of stone work on the bolt and 5-600 round and it runs great the wood fit was good , a little proud on the fore stock but good at the action ends without a big curve .
    This Remlin is another thing all together . It has cut checkering that looks good is very even an with my once over doesn't look to have any real over runs . I have a couple of side by side pics with the Rosschester 92' and frankly the fit and finish is better on the 92' than the Remlin .

Name:	IMG_20170312_170448755.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	354.8 KB 
ID:	2046074

Name:	IMG_20170312_170409949.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	349.7 KB 
ID:	2046090
    The 1895 also being what it is lacks any case colored parts being all blued . The metal fit looks good and the sissy pad (which I fully appreciate) is well fitted . I didn't observe any sharp edges but it is 2nd hand an some of that may have been doctored, there's not white lines to suggest that however . The crown shape looks like it was cut with a butterfly bit and shows all of the machine marks save the 1/32 in side the muzzle .

I shot 20 rounds of Privi Partizan 45-70-405 SP and when I finally got enough elevation to get on paper (18x24 fruit box) it shoots some 4" left but seems to want to stack them in all together . There was 1 group of 2 for sure maybe 3 that were all touching and at least 2 others in touching pairs . So with that in mind I can over look the cosmetics a lot .
    This rifle is proofed REM and is an MR13xxxB serial I have no idea where that puts it as far as a build date but sometime between June 11' and June 16' . I would lean towards 13' .

Jorge is a lifetime​ friend that lives here now we shoot together about once a month and he feeds me new 1x brass . I have 100 Privi Partizan 1x now for the 45-70 now .

There were a lot of QC issues reported along with poor accuracy from the 1st Rem production guns . Hopefully that is behind them now and they will work on improving the wood to metal fit and making these guns as pretty a the BDL and CDL lines , at this point wood ADLs would be an improvement .

Now deeply buried in the post the question .
    Does anyone have a serial number guide to better nail down a production date for this rifle ?

I will of course hand load a proper cast and or paper patched bullet for this and eventually a good BP load . For now a nice 350 RF will be on deck with light loads 12-1400 fps . At $1.35 a shot I can't put off the project very long .
    How fortuitous. An officer of the law with a criminal past , imagine the delinquencies we could commit if we really put our minds to it.

Just google " Marlin serial number dates" and take the first website and enter the first 2 digits of the serial number. There are two data bases depending on year of manufacture. Just did my 3 Marlins yesterday. Love my .45-70.

Been to that ...... The ABC pre fix then the subtract from 100 first 2 digits starting in 1975 ? This 1 is a Remington built gun in Illion NY with the REM oval proof mark on the bbl . It seems to be quite sound and accurate . So I'm hoping it is post bugs or has them fixed . The lockup is solid and the bbl is shiny inside .
    It seems to me Remington used a letter code but it's been forever since I cased them down for some long gone 1100s .
    How fortuitous. An officer of the law with a criminal past , imagine the delinquencies we could commit if we really put our minds to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Based on cumulative research and an Email from the Marlin desk of Remington here's what I have for post 2004.
    The pre fix is changed to MR to reflect the Remington ownership .
    The first 2 digits may be used for the dating through 2009 .That information is not clear .
    2010 appears to be suffixed for the move to Illion NY production A for 2010 , B has been confirmed as 2011 . So a new 2017 rifle should be a G.

Hope this helps someone .

I'm starting to reload my first paper patched 577/450. I was not aware you can paper patch bullets for Marlins micro groove barrels.
    I suppose if the velocity is within limits it could work, just thought the shallow rifling may hamper accuracy with patched bullets.

This one is the 6 groove Ballard , probably button rifled . The bore/groove is .451x.4595 .
    Sized to .453-4 and wrapped with a particular 70s vintage adding machine tape to . 460 the custom 453-350 RF was as good as the 458193 . The paper patch was loaded light reaching hot 45 Colts levels with Unique . The 405 RF 458193 is a work in progress but closed to less than 3" at just over 1600 fps .
    I am on the hunt for a 458193 2+ cavity mould to further quality control and eliminate those variables . If I find a suitable 390-425 patch mould along the way so much the better .

Mine must be one of the early Marlin 1895G (ported and ballard rifling) with a serial of 00005###A and I has been extremely accurate after the addition of a Williams peepsite. I think it must be around 1998 or 1999 as the .450 marlin cartridge was released at about the same time as I bought mine in .45-70.

I reload 350gr HP and 405gr FP and will post my recipe when I get home and get look in the reload book. Most of our sessions were at 50yds. The power of the rifle amazes me and after seeing what it does to varies materials (wood, cinder block, tree). The 405 grain at 100+ yards going about 1600fps (muzzle) is most entertaining as you can go POW, one Mississippi, two missi.., THWACK. I had not paid attention that Marlin was know being made by Remington. I know you mentioned wanting to get a mould, but I will say my rifle REALLY likes the Oregon Trails bullet in 405gr FP.

Also wanted to comment on the Rossi note you made. I have loved the quality of the Rossi '92 (in pistol calibers).

Its the bottom one.

Name:	Leverguns.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	2071842

Howard

I have 2 Rossi 92's , a pre-safety and a March 15' . Bitter sweet in 45 Colts , stay within SAA Colts data , master the hold over , pure joy . Break 1200 fps , well go big or go home . Another story all together .

I have seen a few different commercial cast available and Oregon Trails has been recommended before . I have the Lee 457-340F , 456-220R and a custom 453-350 RF for.paper patch . The 2Lees go a little over .4595 . I have a Lee 457-405 HB on the way . I have settled on snagging a 458193 on sale and beg a few of the other preferred designs . My powders are pretty thin still from the draught , really fast and really slow mostly .

I appreciate the information .