Llama 1914 on Gunbroker

Thread: Llama 1914 on Gunbroker

Default Llama 1914 on Gunbroker

This pistol is getting some love from the bidders.
    What model is it, and what year?

No links to active auctions, please.

Last edited by Nick; 03-15-2017 at 11:50 AM.

That is a pretty good blue job.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Looks very nice, I guess the bidders know it's a 45 & not a 9mm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

John, the add says 9mm.

Yes, since the slide says "45" (11.25mm) it's apparent the seller doesn't know it's not a 9MM.

If you look way down on that page it states that it is indeed a .45APC.

It's not a Llama, and it's not Spanish.
    It's a Norwegian version of the Colt 1911, and it's pretty rare. M-1914, I believe.
    And it HAS been reblued.

Good eye, Bill. That slide stop & slide legend on those Norwegian pistols is very distinct In addition to being re-blued, those don't look to be original grips either, but they do have the look of Star & Llama's checkered wood to them, & the cut out in the left side stock looks to be very well done. Maybe it's one of the post war Kongsberg 1914s made with leftover parts?

Would someone please give me the Item Number so I can locate it on GB? Thanks!
    Last edited by ozarkmac; 03-15-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Found what I was looking for

Found it

Where does the seller get that this is a Llama from?

A Kongsberg Norwegian Colt M1914. Besides being re-blued and wrong grips as mentioned, shouldn't the magazine be a loop bottom mag? Might be wrong .............

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
    Where does the seller get that this is a Llama from?
    From his own imagination. I shop an awful lot on the Internet, and I see people making stuff up all the time.

How do you guys know how to tell this was reblued from that photograph? What are the clues ? Trying to get some needed savvy here.

I don't think the norwegian 1914's had a high polished blue, the ones I've seen were more of a matte.

Quote Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post
    How do you guys know how to tell this was reblued from that photograph? What are the clues ? Trying to get some needed savvy here.

Ok...so I would have needed to be familiar with the original finish to recognize the re-blue. That makes perfect sense. I thought it was some sort of wizardry.

Thanks

I am by no means a subject-matter-expert on the Kongsberg Colt, in fact it hasn't been too long ago that I saw my first one in person at a gun show and hadn't even heard of them until that time. What caught my eye was the multiple serialized parts. Anyway, here's my two cents on the re-blued issue. First, the seller said it has been re-blued so I have to take his word for it. Of course, this is the same guy that listed it as a Llama. Second, the few I've seen did not look blued to the darkness of this one. And last, here are a couple quotes from a Konigsberg Sticky on the 1911 Forum for others to ponder:

"Initially finished in blue, the M/1914 pistol was equipped with hardwood grips checkered in the large diamond pattern found on the original Colt Model of 1911."
    "At some time during its production, the M/1914 pistol was changed from a blued to a Parkerized finish, and during this time its exterior became less refined than previous pistols."

There are lots of clues that a gun has been reblued.
    Soft corners and edges, slightly slurred lettering, often the metal polishing is not the same as the original finishing, pitting showing through the finish.
    These are just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
    It's not a Llama, and it's not Spanish.
    It's a Norwegian version of the Colt 1911, and it's pretty rare. M-1914, I believe.
    And it HAS been reblued.
    I saw the exact same thing happen with a gun shop near my office, pic related

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surprise2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	306.1 KB 
ID:	2055530

For the record, this is what a Star Model 1914 looks like

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

It sold for $610 on Sat, 18 Mar. Only two guys to bid on it. Last bid was on 14 Mar. Thoughts on final price even though it was reblued? BTW, I called the seller and the barrel was matching as well.

$610 is still a pretty good price, Kongsberg Colts are a rare beast and even mismatched ones still command a premium.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

I wish I had at least placed one bid to see what the other two bidders would have done. Not being very knowledgeable of these and not having any guidance, I avoided it. I don't think I would have been happy with it though. I like the looks of the original finish.
    Last edited by ozarkmac; 03-20-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Ozarkmac, I know the bidder who decided not to push the price any higher, he is an honorable individual with some very interesting pieces picked up in auctions. Our tastes are very similiar so we often come in conflict over bids, but the first to bid is always respected and we do not bid against one another. The "Llama" was simply priced as high as the bidder wished to go connsidering the modifications on the pistol.

Makes sense.