1942 Tula M91/30

Thread: 1942 Tula M91/30

Default 1942 Tula M91/30

This is my first Mosin Nagant I got about 3 years ago. There were about 7 on the rack in the store. This one was the only one with big star (Tula), bore looked good, so I bought it.

Thanks to forums I learned more about Mosin Nagants, and still learning.

Anyway, I would like to get input on this 1942 Tula, round low wall receiver.
    It is definitely not 100% Tula. Parts are mix of Tula and Izhevsk (one band is Tula, one Izhevsk; rear sight is Izhevsk, bolt is a mix as well).
    Year is 1942, but 19 is different font than 42. No year on tang
    Some marks on stock and receiver, mostly typical refurbishment. Its about 1 deep counter bored.

Is it possible that it was assembled like this in 1942 or was it during refurbishment?
    It is probably hard to say, but would like to know your opinion. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OA1.jpg   OA2.JPG   ARSENAL1.jpg   TANG.jpg   WP_20140209_008 - Copy.jpg   TOP OF TANG.jpg  

IMG_20161025_210809622.jpg   IMG_20161025_210631319_HDR.jpg   IMG_20161025_192725999.jpg   Stock markings 3.jpg   Stock markings 2.jpg   Stock markings 1.jpg  

My first Mosin was also a 42 Tula 91/30, picked it out at RGuns. Rifle and a spam can of x54r for $149 I think? Looks exactly like yours, pretty refurb stock and brass capped handguard. Yours is rebuilt like most of them.

I have a 1942 Izhevsk and the year serial numbers look very close to mine

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

It's a refurb. Nice one!

Rakysk, A link to an interesting post started by Ratnik, a Gun Board member and author.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...42-Tula-Mosins

Attachment 2047474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ratnik.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	315.2 KB 
ID:	2047482

It is in a post war stock.

The 42 Tulas that I have seen up close, still wear their distinctive machining marks over the entire length of the barrel. Yours does not.

That, and what looks to me like some minor pitting under the bluing on the barrel, makes me think, that your rifle had a lot of rust that was removed during the refurb process.

That same rust removal process also removed most of the "No" and part of the date, which was then re-stamped.

With a 1-1/4" counter bore, how does it shoot?

Hello,

This is a VERY early 1942 Tula. The date font is the EARLY version of 1942, Tula 1942 has 3 different fonts for dates. Probably using left over 194x Tula barrels as the 2 is added and different but is the EARLY #2. this is the font usually found on the plant #436 before they moved to plant #536 not a 100% on the plant numbers. most of the early rifles like this one have been PEM snipers but I guess cause of the low wall receiver it stamped with the January letter block. some info is still evolving as the book says that no rifle were made in Jan 1942 at Tula but here is a Jan letter block. the more in the know will chime in.

later
    vaughn
    Tula 91/30 Ex-Snipers WANTED!!!!!!! See List Below
    Zeiss Type Any Date
    Walther Type Any Date
    1932 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1933 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1936 PE, Top Mount, Round Receiver
    1938 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1938 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1939 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1939 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1940 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1943 PE, Top Mount Siege Built

You know Vaughn, I think you are correct! With your input in my mind I looked at the pictures again. I think I see a very faint zero under the two in the 1942 date stamp.

That and it being a low wall means to me it was probably a 1940 Tula, built at plant #314, but not finished before they switched production to the SVTs.

Another close look at the Tula Star on the barrel shows five fletching's on the arrow in the star. Which would confirm that it's a left over from plant # 314. See also:http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...osin-font-info post #6.

Hope Ratnik has something to say about it. I bet he'd know.

On page 20 it says, "On February, the new factory received the number #536, which until that moment had the number #314 that had previously belonged to the factory evacuated to Mednogorsk." "M91/30 Rifles and M38/M44 Carbines in 1941- 1945" by Alexander Yuschenko
    Last edited by Montana Bearbait; 03-19-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vaughn99 View Post
    Hello,

This is a VERY early 1942 Tula. The date font is the EARLY version of 1942, Tula 1942 has 3 different fonts for dates. Probably using left over 194x Tula barrels as the 2 is added and different but is the EARLY #2. this is the font usually found on the plant #436 before they moved to plant #536 not a 100% on the plant numbers. most of the early rifles like this one have been PEM snipers but I guess cause of the low wall receiver it stamped with the January letter block. some info is still evolving as the book says that no rifle were made in Jan 1942 at Tula but here is a Jan letter block. the more in the know will chime in.

later
    vaughn
    "A*" letter prefix not necessarily mean Janury production. According to factory #536 documents first rifles were produced in February

My 1942 Tula is an ex sniper.
    My idea of border control is m-60 machineguns every 100yds with interlocking fields of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by LANT View Post
    My 1942 Tula is an ex sniper.
    PEM or PU? Pictures please?

PU
    My idea of border control is m-60 machineguns every 100yds with interlocking fields of fire.

Thanks guys for all information.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post

With a 1-1/4" counter bore, how does it shoot?
    It definitely shoots right. Picture is from today. Last shots I was aiming approximately where no 3 is on tape measure and shots are at the bottom right of the black area of the target.
    All at 50yards, with Tulammo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target 50yrds 03-19-17.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rakysk View Post
    Thanks guys for all information.

It definitely shoots right. Picture is from today. Last shots I was aiming approximately where no 3 is on tape measure and shots are at the bottom right of the black area of the target.
    All at 50yards, with Tulammo.
    Not Bad! There is still some life left in that old war horse...

Looks to me you need to move your front sight to the right about 1.2 mm. .33mm drift of the front sight will move your POI about an inch at fifty yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    Not Bad! There is still some life left in that old war horse...

Looks to me you need to move your front sight to the right about 1.2 mm. .33mm drift of the front sight will move your POI about an inch at fifty yards.
    Thanks for asking how it shoots. Gave me the reason to take it out to the range again after long time.

Will try to move the front site. Is it worth to spend $ on tool(s) sold online for adjusting front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by rakysk View Post
    Thanks for asking how it shoots. Gave me the reason to take it out to the range again after long time.

Will try to move the front site. Is it worth to spend $ on tool(s) sold online for adjusting front sight?
    Are you kidding?!!! What if you need that rifle real bad, and in a slagging big hurry?!! You'll never remember to aim to the right!!! (Sheesh, like that time I opened the front door and right there was that winter starved bear)

Is $13.00 too expensive for you? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELBY-Mosin-N...MAAOSwCQNWczRM

It's real easy, just soak the front sight in a small cup containing some kroil for 24 hours. Then with a small hammer and a brass drift, give it a whack to loosen it up. Then, using the front sight tool, you can adjust it as you need to get it "dead on".