Mauser Identification Help

Thread: Mauser Identification Help

Default Mauser Identification Help

Good morning. New to the board here having searched the internet for a group of folks who knew their Mausers. My grandfather brought this one back from WWII and my entire life it was just referred to as a German mauser. And I'm here in hopes of finding out more specifically what type of Mauser it is. Now that I have put in a little research of my own, it was obvious that many countries contributed these firearms during the war so I would really just love to know what I inherited.

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance.

Here are the pics. And I just measured (from where the barrel meets the receiver?) and it was 22". I have included pics of the only markings on the gun I can see or find. The butt of the gun has no discernable markings, just a bit rusty.

Another question I would have for those in the know - do you "restore" these, clean them up, refinish the wood, etc. or would that detract from value in the future? Have no real plans to sell it but would be curious to know approximate value (for homeowners insurance); and I'm certain it has not been shot since I was a kid - so over 35yrs since it has been shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	2048074

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	2048082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	2048090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	2048098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	2048106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	2048114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	2048122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0618.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	2048130

Welcome to the Forum. What you actually have is an Italian Carcano rifle in 6.5 Carcano. The original stock has been cut down, rendering much fo the collector value null and void. Still, a nice war trophy.

if you search Italian Carcano rifles here, you'll find a ton of information on the model, etc. The stock cutout is very interesting.
    Curator, the Privett Museum for Unloved & Wayward Guns. Est. 2006.

Welcome! It has a ton of family sentimental value and that is priceless, but as far as insurance goes it has no real value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Go down a little farther and you will find a Carcano forum. They will be able to tell you anything you want to know about your "rifle".

Thanks everyone! That was fast. An Italian Carcano it is. So cool to finally know what it really is. I will definitely put in more research in the appropriate area here for the Carcano.

Kellie, Welcome

The other rifle pictured on the table saw IS a German Mauser...More pics of the top of receiver will tell you just what factory produced it
    "There is no safety for honest men, but by believing all possible evil of evil men, and by acting with promptitude, decision, and steadiness on that belief." (Edmund Burke)

Quote Originally Posted by painterjohn View Post
    Kellie, Welcome

The other rifle pictured on the table saw IS a German Mauser...More pics of the top of receiver will tell you just what factory produced it
    Imagine my surprise! Honestly the only guns I know anything about in a serious manner are my Mossberg 550 Tactical and my Bursa .380 I started with one at a time, inspecting all these guns, after all of our storage contents arrived here at our new house in Colorado.

The Mauser is stamped as follows and is in better shape than the Carcano overall.

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	2049578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	2049586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	2049594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	2049602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0714.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	2049610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	2049618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	2049626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	2049634

Welcome to the forum. Both rifles have had their stocks shortened by someone after they were liberated. The Mauser appears all matching and would be a candidate for a proper stock. More knowledgeable guys will steer you in the right direction.

Looks like it was a nice matching Mauser until some one turned a $1200 rifle into a $200 sporter.

Also, the Carcano has had what looks like wood putty put into the sling slot in the buttstock.

If they shortened the stock, on the Mauser, do they just reinstall that metal butt plate? I didn't post that pic since it is covered in rust, but I use a lighted jewelers loop to inspect these and the butt plate on it has a 44 engraved into it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KellieR View Post
    If they shortened the stock, on the Mauser, do they just reinstall that metal butt plate? I didn't post that pic since it is covered in rust, but I use a lighted jewelers loop to inspect these and the butt plate on it has a 44 engraved into it as well.

Sorry,I should have said shortened from the other end. Both of these
    rifles were originally stocked to the muzzle and had handguards. If you search around the site
    you will see photos of member guns to compare to. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagomizer View Post
    Sorry,I should have said shortened from the other end. Both of these
    rifles were originally stocked to the muzzle and had handguards. If you search around the site
    you will see photos of member guns to compare to. Hope this helps.
    Great! Thanks so much for yours, and everyone's help.

Assuming all remaining parts on the k98k match and bore is in pretty decent shape tis worth a lot more than $200.00. the advise of looking for and finding a late war laminated stock and late byf stamped/welded front band is a smart move. Invest $200.00+ for the right parts and the rifle
    is 'worth' 600+
    gil