Insteresting Ishapore 410

Thread: Insteresting Ishapore 410

Default Insteresting Ishapore 410

I have a few Enfields in my collection and recently ran across this one in a caliber that I was not expecting. I dont know a ton about them and wondered what I have here. Good price, good condition, I just couldnt pass it up and I think I found my source for mil surp ammo. Can any one tell me more about this one? Interesting rifle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	2048618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	2048626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 3.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	2048634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 4.JPG 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	2048642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 5.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	2048650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 6.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	2048658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 7.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	2048666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 8.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	2048674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 9.JPG 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	2048682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 10.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	2048690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ish 11.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	2048706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isha.JPG 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	2048714

According to India's Enfields, the butt stamp T-D-E was placed on a number of different marks of rifles, but not the .410 musket. That wood should be marked S ^ A (over) I.

Interesting low serial number. Looks like a nice little musket. Verify that it's for a 2-1/2" .410, not the 3". They started life as a .303 "grape shot" for loss of the correct term,
    and many were reamed to take the .410. Check the barrel for any signs of demil before shooting.
    And we didn't blow up, so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Hi mate, could you please expand on (the butt stamp T-D-E was placed on a number of different marks of rifles), what Indian rifles used this stamp????

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by limpetmine View Post
    According to India's Enfields, the butt stamp T-D-E was placed on a number of different marks of rifles, but not the .410 musket. That wood should be marked S ^ A (over) I.

Interesting low serial number. Looks like a nice little musket. Verify that it's for a 2-1/2" .410, not the 3". They started life as a .303 "grape shot" for loss of the correct term,
    and many were reamed to take the .410. Check the barrel for any signs of demil before shooting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The original .410 musket round had a 2 inch long case. If you can chamber a 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch and close the bolt, it will fire those cartridges. Apparently Springfield Sporters (Importer) felt that an error could not happen and so they did not mark the guns indicating the converted gauge.

The only thing I heard about these a while back when these first came on the market was that they were from India police stocks. Not sure if that is true or not but if my memory serves me correct, Century converted some rifles from the original caliber when they wouldn't make the go gauge. I could find no import marks on this rifle. I have ordered a case of original ball ammo for her and plan on testing soon.

A fellow member showed me some real fun with one of these in .410 Indian: fire-forming from .303 brass with glue/cornmeal (though rock salt would be more fun!) & reloading round ball over black powder. It was extremely accurate at 25m, soft shooting enough to keep spare rounds in your hand!

Pretty versatile, especially with surplus available.
    Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it...

"The politics of failure have failed!" -Kang