German M17 gasmask. Unusual canister and mask. Late war?

Thread: German M17 gasmask. Unusual canister and mask. Late war?

Default German M17 gasmask. Unusual canister and mask. Late war?

I just got another German M17 Lederschutzmaske gas mask home, i knew it was a bit different when i bought it, but decided to buy it anyway. It is the mask to the left.

The mask is like the other leather M17 masks in itself, no great differences, but it does not have the strap to hang it around the neck, and no sign there ever was one.

The biggest difference, though, is the canister, which is taller than the others (which in turn are taller than the m16 gummischutzmaske canisters)

Inside the lid it is quite like the others with space for extra klarscheiben, gelatin covered celluloid glasses.

Also, the carrying strap is sadly gone, but the belt attachment is there and it is leather, not cloth.

The filter is dated April 1918. So, WWI.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170316/e8494beb34683aaed134ddb17a81b757.jpg[/IMG

It has a painted number on it: STV 3277. Is this a German number? If so, what does it mean? I got this mask from Canada, could it be the soldiers number of a Canadian soldier that sent it home?

So, what have I got here? Is it a late war mask that has differences from earlier ones? If not, then what is it? And, Canadian bring back?

Any help unraveling this is welcome. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the filter picture did not work. Here it is.

And, this one has definitely been there! It must have been in gas attacks. My other masks are quite pungent too, but this one really stings the nose...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Comparison: Left the tall canister that is previously unknown to me. Center is a standard M17 canister. Right an M16 gummischutzmaske canister. Any idea what the tall canister is, and why it is larger than the others?

This exorbitantly (!!!) overpriced gas mask canister appears to be the same tall type. (Posting it here as it is not a live auction, hope that is ok under the rules) So, at least there are more of them...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-ORIGINAL...oAAOSw~AVYoaiv

Hey B.C.
    I think I have sorted the ID on the larger canister, it is as you assumed, a late war version and refereed to as an M1917 canister. Here is a great article on gas masks on the pointy hat forum
    http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3111
    Best
    Gus

The large canister is a post-war reworked Gm17 can; basically an extended version of the canister in the middle of your pictures in post # 4. The GM17 mask that you show is WW1 era and doesn't belong to that can. Model 1917 leather masks were reissued after WW1 with a larger filter which required existing cans to be extended. Wartime and post-war masks are easy to tell apart because the post-war reissue masks received an exhalation valve called a Glimmerausatemventil. I don't have a post-war example to show, but here is an excellent site that shows the upgrades of wartime GM17/18s into Reichswehr models. Other countries also bought these reissue leather masks.

http://www.gasmasklexikon.com/Page/Germ-Mil-GM17.htm

Your Gummimaske can is actually a WW1 Austrian variant. These are much harder to find than the German model they're based on, especially complete with straps. These don't have the center ridge like all German model canisters do.

One of my German M16 cans and an Austrian variant below it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100-0963334.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	2223506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0007.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	2223514

Hans
    Last edited by Grabenhelm; 05-13-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks for the info. Actually my gummimaske is KuK stamped, so they belong together. :-)