Gunboards Forums banner

Fake PU sniper at auction.

3K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  vintovka 
#1 ·
Someone got burned on this auction which just ended. Hopefully no one here. There is a also a Fake SVT sniper currently still running with a fake Finn Bear mount and added notch made by Izhevsk (which never made snipers).

Be careful and do your homework before buying valuable firearms.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626108891

#7 ·
I have watched those "PU/sniper" auctions on and off over the last few years and about 1/2 were easy to identify as fakes/reproductions. In a lot of cases the pretty reproductions were getting higher bids than the real thing!

#8 ·
The gray blanket does not always work, I just lost money on a very nice matching K98k (pics taken on a gray blanket)..on Funbroker..
How about a quick tutorial on what makes that PU a stinker, aside from the double what it's worth price thing..

#10 ·
Fake charcoal colored mount that has the look of being cast and is lacking the swirling machine marks on the reverse. . The rough war-time unfinished receiver. Fake scope with flat head screws in the turrets. The cuts in the stock look to be aftermarket. Someone else can chime in on the base -but it is also suspect. The rifles serial number's letter prefix does not appear on the Izhevisk PU serial number list. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?53514-Izhevsk-91-30-sniper-list

#16 ·
Yeah, shipping has gone up just in the last month or so on everything. I shipped an auto part last week and it cost me $34 for a 6lb box about 14 inches per side.

#17 ·
Most likely modified to accept a scope for people who wanted a shooter. They become fake when they are not represented as what they are.
Sooner or later an owner will sell believing he has the authentic item, some have no idea what they have.
So easy to research a firearm on your phone before it comes up for auction. People see a representation and WANT TO BELIEVE it's real. They don't look at the tell tale signs, they refuse to let the firearm talk to them.

#22 ·
That style scope was an IO contract. Gas spacer is the clue. I think it's a IO copy. How it got those bids I have no idea. I tried to sell a 44 MO triple date and a 43 straight up and couldn't make reserve at 800. I'll never understand.

#24 · (Edited)
I have sold off a few of my duplicate PU rifles over the years and unfortunately what I heard quite often from some prospective novice buyers ( I made my share of uneducated blunders too ) were questions concerning perfectly matching numbers and with a priority on "stamped" numbers. When the very pretty Faux scoped Mosins with matching stamped serial numbers show up at auction they will almost always sell for more $ than a genuine sniper.

Shipping Cost - Add the $5.25 for "adult signature" onto the UPS shipping/insurance charges and also their $10.40 surcharge for packages exceeding 48" in length. And zoom the coast to coast the prices easily up to $50 & $60.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.