Found a Frog for my M28 bayonet
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Found a Frog for my M28 bayonet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Found a Frog for my M28 bayonet

    I came across this a while ago and I am pretty excited about it. My M28 Bayo didn't come with a frog and the chances of finding a lone wolf are not the greatest. I believe this is a correct M28 frog....or maybe not. I cant find any markings on it. Appreciate any input on it, Denny
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01126.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	2054698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01112.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	2054706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01113.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	2054714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01120.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	2054722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01124.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	2054730
    Last edited by Denny; 03-18-2017 at 12:10 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    Man oh man, I like it!!! Now if I could just find one. Congrats sir.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Very nice find with a very hard time find item. It seems to be exactly the right frog-type for m/28 bayonet (unlike other Finnish frogs it has rough side of leather on the outside - stiching & rivets are also identical to one I have). These are usually impossible to find separately even in Finland.

    Jarkko

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    The dry side of WA State
    Posts
    9,189

    Default

    Neat find, none of my Finn bayonets have a frog - When I bought my 28-30 bayonet, the seller offered me the frog with the bayonet for a decent price.....I passed....boy what a mistake, have not seen a Frog for sale in person for any of my Finn bayonets......for at least ten years....

    Gary.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Man oh man, I like it!!! Now if I could just find one. Congrats sir.
    Thanks for the kind words Jaws2

    Quote Originally Posted by JTV View Post
    Very nice find with a very hard time find item. It seems to be exactly the right frog-type for m/28 bayonet (unlike other Finnish frogs it has rough side of leather on the outside - stiching & rivets are also identical to one I have). These are usually impossible to find separately even in Finland.

    Jarkko
    I appreciate your input JTV. I knew the M28 bayo frogs had the rough side out and I have seen some examples that even look kind of fuzzy from the leather fibers. It is more apparent on my example when you look at the inside of the belt loop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01134.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	2055394

    Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Neat find, none of my Finn bayonets have a frog - When I bought my 28-30 bayonet, the seller offered me the frog with the bayonet for a decent price.....I passed....boy what a mistake, have not seen a Frog for sale in person for any of my Finn bayonets......for at least ten years....

    Gary.
    Thanks Gary......needle in a haystack. Denny

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lousyiana, USA
    Posts
    6,165

    Default

    Good for u Denni. I found a gread M28 baioned and scabbard ad a local show which never has ani Finnish sduff. Untouched blade sdill widh orange near de guard and a blued scabbard, fine sed. Bud never figure 2 find a frog, lucki u. Please forgive mi wriding, keiboard issues. Show 2 dai, never know whad u will find. Will be lookin for ani inderesdin ole .22 rifle. Congrads on ure rare find.

    Lancebear

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Central Finland
    Posts
    3,838

    Default

    Based on blueprints the "Sk.Y XX" (two last digits of date are below the Sk.Y) should be horizontally stamped on the belt loop, above the uppermost rivets. I have two supply contracts, one from Friitala in 1931 and one from Frans Niskala in 1935 when the frogs were ordered together with m/30 rifle slings. The 1931 contract orders the rough side of leather to be set outwards while the 1935 says it should be inwards. Between these two dates there is at least one contract with Åström in 1934.

    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    It is more apparent on my example when you look at the inside of the belt loop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01134.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	2055394
    A look at the inside also reveals nicely the original natural color of leather. 80+ years have of course darkened it from there a little bit too.
    Last edited by CH; 03-18-2017 at 09:03 AM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lancebear View Post
    Good for u Denni. I found a gread M28 baioned and scabbard ad a local show which never has ani Finnish sduff. Untouched blade sdill widh orange near de guard and a blued scabbard, fine sed. Bud never figure 2 find a frog, lucki u. Please forgive mi wriding, keiboard issues. Show 2 dai, never know whad u will find. Will be lookin for ani inderesdin ole .22 rifle. Congrads on ure rare find.

    Lancebear
    Sounds like a nice Bayonet Lancebear....I wish mine still had that orange/brown stripe. Denny

    Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Based on blueprints the "Sk.Y XX" (two last digits of date are below the Sk.Y) should be horizontally stamped on the belt loop, above the uppermost rivets. I have two supply contracts, one from Friitala in 1931 and one from Frans Niskala in 1935 when the frogs were ordered together with m/30 rifle slings. The 1931 contract orders the rough side of leather to be set outwards while the 1935 says it should be inwards. Between these two dates there is at least one contract with Åström in 1934.
    Thanks for this info CH. I didn't know there were different contract requirements for the leather facing. Its much appreciated....it takes me some time to translate info from Palokangas's book. Vol.II pgs 136 and 137 discuss contract quantities and dates but I'm not yet sure if the leather detail that you described is there. Denny

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I didn't know there were different contract requirements for the leather facing. Its much appreciated....it takes me some time to translate info from Palokangas's book. Vol.II pgs 136 and 137 discuss contract quantities and dates but I'm not yet sure if the leather detail that you described is there. Denny
    Palokangas lists the acquisitions of new leather frogs for m/28 bayonet scabbards on part 2 page 156 and tells the details about leather facing in the next page. According him rough side was up in first three orders and only forth order (3,000 ordered from Velj. Ahlström in 30th of June 1934) had smooth side up. As you notice the the total number of m/28 bayonets acquired is almost 20,000 higher than the number of new leather frogs acquired for them - the likely reason for this being that old German leather frogs had been recycled for rest of the bayonets.

    Jarkko

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTV View Post
    Palokangas lists the acquisitions of new leather frogs for m/28 bayonet scabbards on part 2 page 156 and tells the details about leather facing in the next page. According him rough side was up in first three orders and only forth order (3,000 ordered from Velj. Ahlström in 30th of June 1934) had smooth side up. As you notice the the total number of m/28 bayonets acquired is almost 20,000 higher than the number of new leather frogs acquired for them - the likely reason for this being that old German leather frogs had been recycled for rest of the bayonets.

    Jarkko
    Thank you Jarkko for your responses. I was wondering about the bayo/frog ratio and if Imperial frogs filled the balance. Great info. Denny

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •